How to get to Canada from CNX without going through Kunming

canuckamuck

I hate going through Kunming, 4 experiences so far, all bad. I can't seem to find any flights reasonably priced that don't go through there.

Not excited to spend another several hours trying to get luggage back from the international side when they sent all the passengers to domestic.

As you say, the problem is with the cost of the alternatives, you need to look for a Sale on Cathay Pacific or Korean, perhaps ?

My older son flew back home from YVR on Xmas-Day, returning 9th January for about £750-return, with Cathay Pacific and a 65-minute connection in HKG both ways.

My younger son flew CNX-YVR-CNX with Korean mid/late-June, similar cost but a 12-hour connection going, and just a couple of hours on the return-trip.

I've also known slightly-cheaper deals on ANA via BKK, in a Sale.

2 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Why not fly out of Bangkok? Lots of cheap flights. New China probably the cheapest and does not go  to Kunming. I went New China 2 years ago BKK to Calgary in less than 20 hours.

What site do yo use to get New China flights, I never heard of them.

13 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

What site do yo use to get New China flights, I never heard of them.

Many sites have New China Airlines. They are the cheapest too.Small seat though but get you there fast. They go some where in China cannot remember the name  of the city then Vancouver in less than 20 hours no problem  I think Cheap flights has them.

Just search flights to Vancouver from BKK. 

56 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Many sites have New China Airlines. They are the cheapest too.Small seat though but get you there fast. They go some where in China cannot remember the name  of the city then Vancouver in less than 20 hours no problem  I think Cheap flights has them.

Just search flights to Vancouver from BKK. 

Boy do I look stupid here. The Airline I meant was China Eastern. I nicknamed it New China and forgot. I apologise for misinforming you.

I have flown over 25 times and personally I like the time frame they provide.Check them out. For me the quicker the flight is over the better and in all my experiences China Eastern delivers on the fastest trip of any one I have flown. and they are the cheapest also.Cannot say about the food I do not eat air line meals.

Edited by lovelomsak

6 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Boy do I look stupid here. The Airline I meant was China Eastern. I nicknamed it New China and forgot. I apologise for misinforming you.

I have flown over 25 times and personally I like the time frame they provide.Check them out. For me the quicker the flight is over the better and in all my experiences China Eastern delivers on the fastest trip of any one I have flown. and they are the cheapest also.Cannot say about the food I do not eat air line meals.

OK I will quit trying to find New China.

I have flown with China Eastern several times. Nothing bad or great about them, but I hate the Kunming connection and I think its their hub.

Edited by canuckamuck

I regularly use Korean, CNX ICN YVR.

I recently paid 28,500B return, booking 6 months in advance.

There is a 12 hr stopover at ICN on the way there & 1.5hrs on the way back. I stay at the Airport Queen hotel, $50 for a day stay.

Korean are a good airline.

I did the Korean Air cnx to ichenon to san fran w 8 hour layover going and 2 hour back. free showers, free places to sleep, and free wifi in 2nd floor of the intl transit terminal. slept about 3 hours on a flat surface and had a free shower. nice airport. 

3 hours ago, Rama said:

I did the Korean Air cnx to ichenon to san fran w 8 hour layover going and 2 hour back. free showers, free places to sleep, and free wifi in 2nd floor of the intl transit terminal. slept about 3 hours on a flat surface and had a free shower. nice airport. 

Is this "Free" stuff at Inchon available for any traveler on Korean Air, or do you have to have a certain level of flying miles as part of their club?

17 minutes ago, OneZero said:

Is this "Free" stuff at Inchon available for any traveler on Korean Air, or do you have to have a certain level of flying miles as part of their club?

Free WiFi info:

www.airport.kr/iiacms/pageWork.iia…

Sauna & Spa

airport.kr/airport/…

Things to enjoy at the airport

www.airport.kr/iiacms/pageWork.iia…

Chiang Mai-- Incheon- Vancouver

I have  flown this  route on Korean  Air.   I have never had a complaint.  Incheon  airport is regularly ranked among  the best airports in the world. There  are  free services on the  second floor  to use -- massage, shower,  reclining seats etc.  There  are lounges one can access depending on airline, points or credit cards.  One can take a free  tour into the city too.  Lots of food and restaurants  too. 

On 19/01/2018 at 6:52 PM, beavercreek said:

Air China to Beijing...or Korean to Seoul.  Qatar could factor in but probably not for western Canada. Also, Cathay's Dragon to HKG.  A cheap ticket to KL or Sing would have many options, too.

This is basically what I took, only a month in advance so not many choices. Going to Beijing with air china, than off to Calgary via Van on Air Canada.  Return Air Canada to Korea, Korean air to CNX. 30,000 baht. Could have done better if I had more wiggle room on the trip and booked earlier

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

This is basically what I took, only a month in advance so not many choices. Going to Beijing with air china, than off to Calgary via Van on Air Canada.  Return Air Canada to Korea, Korean air to CNX. 30,000 baht. Could have done better if I had more wiggle room on the trip and booked earlier

That's an interesting routing, for a reasonable price, did you find it online (where ?) or via a live travel-agency ?

Oh, and have a good trip, of course ! :jap:

PEK kind of grows on you.  A few highlights of my five trips transiting, through:  you can get cold cans of beer for 1 USD at the Cathay House gift/sundree shops..several of them.  Brings some 1 USD bills.  Same for a can of Coke at the food service areas..Dollar.  Also, free public shower, that isn't the Marriott, but sufficiently clean, with shampoo and hot water.  Those China Southern hostesses are superstar, you may notice if you are waundering.  Don't be offended if the golf cart guys offer you a ride...they are just hustling for tips, and it is spread out, but a nice walk, especially with a nice can of beer.

As far as Incheon....my understanding was more than eight hours layover and you just go to the customer service desk, and you get a choice of a day tour or a hotel for the day and a meal, which I took.  Van takes you out there, absolutely easy...and the room was an A+, with a sunken tub, that was just what the doctor ordered.  That was in Asiana, but was told applies to all.  I had bought ticket through travel agent and I was skeptical.  Extra nice.  Google search airports that give free hotels....there are about ten worldwide.  30k is pretty good. You never know when you may have to get back.  A friend just came out for under 600 USD on united and ANA from IAD,it was a short sake last April, but that is most cheap even from LAX.

Edited by beavercreek