Renew UK passport

Sorry I am not sure if this is the correct forum or not. I am needing to renew my UK passport with only a few pages left. I am due to fly to Indonesia next week but should return in less than a week. Does the forum know the quickest method of renewing my UK passport ? If so do I need to send my existing passport with application as I think I will need to fly out again soon after ? What is typical time for renewing UK passport while living in Thailand and do I need to submit the passport with application ? Also what is current cost, etc

Many thanks for any assistance

ubonjoe- after reading and printing off from website you indicated earlier, nowhere doers it state that I apply in person or address to attend. I just states send by courier with supporting documents. Any help would be appreciated

3 minutes ago, generealty said:

ubonjoe- after reading and printing off from website you indicated earlier, nowhere doers it state that I apply in person or address to attend. I just states send by courier with supporting documents. Any help would be appreciated

use this link: https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

2 minutes ago, generealty said:

You must be reading it wrong

You have to apply in person or you can get someone to do it for you, you cannot send your application to them

I have done it twice in the last 18 months

OK guys I have just checked and I can do this from visa office in Bali which is where I will be working, so stress off. Same system and duration etc but means I can travel to work then apply once settled there. Many thanks to those sending info much appreciated

3 minutes ago, generealty said:

How long does the process usually take from application to receiving new passport ?

I have not applied myself for a while, so not sure, from what I have read, usually around 15 - 20 days or so, but plan on the worse, i.e. 4 weeks.

There has been a lot of debate on here before as to whether you can or cannot use the passport after applying, in theory not, in practice people have, as the corners are not cut off until the new passport arrives.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, generealty said:

The link he gave you tells you exactly what to do including the address that you have to send your docs to.  If you keep clicking on "continue" and read the whole page you'll get your answers.

Remember , you can't pay with cash, so you will need a credit card, or a debit card that can be used like a credit card, many people have been caught out by this, as many foreigners in Thailand cannot get a credit card. Yes, go in person, I can't understand why anyone would trust someone to do this for them, it makes no sense.

Remember , you can't pay with cash, so you will need a credit card, or a debit card that can be used like a credit card, many people have been caught out by this, as many foreigners in Thailand cannot get a credit card. Yes, go in person, I can't understand why anyone would trust someone to do this for them, it makes no sense.

i need to renew in a couple of months, i have an ATM card, how can i know if i’ll be able to use it for payment or not? ...... sorry, i’m not very savvy when it comes to cards.... :)

Sent from my satellite link using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

i need to renew in a couple of months, i have an ATM card, how can i know if i’ll be able to use it for payment or not? ...... sorry, i’m not very savvy when it comes to cards.... :)

Do a test on- line purchase, like buying a book from Amazon, if that works, then it should be ok for the passport too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

If this is a card which can only be used for withdrawing cash from ATM's (like the one I had with Krungsri several years ago) as distinct from a regular debit card, it definitely won't work for paying for your new passport (nor for anything else, for that matter). The only surefire guarantee of success, I suspect, is with a UK credit or debit card - do you have friends or family back in the UK who might be prepared to let you pay with their card?

i’ve just found an agent named “Thai Visa Express”, i think i might be able to do everything through them, plus it seems to save me the expense of traveling to BKK, has anyone any experience of using this or any other agents?..... i fear that my ATM card is purely that and not a debit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

20 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

i’ve just found an agent named “Thai Visa Express”, i think i might be able to do everything through them, plus it seems to save me the expense of traveling to BKK, has anyone any experience of using this or any other agents?..... i fear that my ATM card is purely that and not a debit card.

They were one of the first of offer the service. I don't recall any negative reports.

It is has Visa or MasterCard on it is a ATM/Debit card.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

There have also been positive reports on here about Key Visa based in Pattaya. I haven't used them personally, but according to their website, they have a card with which your new passport can be paid for. If you google "UK passport renewal in Thailand", they should appear at #1 (I believe that it is against forum rules to include direct links to their website on here on advertising grounds).

A cautionary word about using agents, however. You will need somehow to ensure that they don't inadvertently sign off a new passport containing crucial errors made by HMPO in the information stated on the photopage when collecting it on your behalf from Bangkok. Otherwise you will probably need to start all over again with a fresh application at additional cost.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just used Key Visa to renew my UK passport, I live 12 hours from BKK so it was definitely worth the small charge, I’d even use them if I lived just a couple of hours from BKK just to avoid the stress of going to BKK 2 times, having to make appointments etc.... turn around time was 3 weeks. Good service, you just need to download forms ( they send u a link), fill them out and post with your old passport, they do all the photocopy work and u don’t need a credit card, they’ll do the payment for you once you’ve transferred cash to their account..... went smoothly, thumbs up.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Just used Key Visa to renew my UK passport, I live 12 hours from BKK so it was definitely worth the small charge, I’d even use them if I lived just a couple of hours from BKK just to avoid the stress of going to BKK 2 times, having to make appointments etc.... turn around time was 3 weeks. Good service, you just need to download forms ( they send u a link), fill them out and post with your old passport, they do all the photocopy work and u don’t need a credit card, they’ll do the payment for you once you’ve transferred cash to their account..... went smoothly, thumbs up.

Many thanks for this reassuring report. Out of curiosity what (if anything) did Key Visa tell you about the handling of possible errors made by HMPO in your new passport?

Edited by OJAS

43 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

I to used them,saved me 20hrs.in total on a bus,plus taxi's very pleased with their service.

• Like 1

Many thanks for this reassuring report. Out of curiosity what (if anything) did Key Visa tell you about the handling of possible errors made by HMPO in your new passport?

If you’ve filled out the forms with your correct name, DOB etc there’s little chance your passport will be incorrect, i’ve never heard of it happening anyway. Previously one had to apply to Hong Kong via EMS, not heard of misprinted passports there either.

I think the chance of it happening aren’t great enough to warrant worrying about.

Sent from my shed using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, OJAS said:

Out of curiosity what (if anything) did Key Visa tell you about the handling of possible errors made by HMPO in your new passport?

In the unlikely event of the passport not reflecting information provided in the application, it would be necessary to contact HMPO in the UK for guidance on how to proceed. 

19 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

If you’ve filled out the forms with your correct name, DOB etc there’s little chance your passport will be incorrect, i’ve never heard of it happening anyway. Previously one had to apply to Hong Kong via EMS, not heard of misprinted passports there either.

I think the chance of it happening aren’t great enough to warrant worrying about.

1 hour ago, Swimman said:

In the unlikely event of the passport not reflecting information provided in the application, it would be necessary to contact HMPO in the UK for guidance on how to proceed. 

Maybe the chances are slim, but it would IMHO be unwise to rule them out entirely. For example, there was a recent case of someone in the UK receiving his brand new passport with a complete stranger's photo, as described in this article!

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/762359/uk-passport-renewal

In our case, I gather that new passports have to be signed for as correct at the time of collection from VFS, and that, if any significant errors are subsequently detected, the whole passport renewal process will have to be repeated from scratch at further expense (and inconvenience).

However, if an error is detected before the signing-off stage is reached, presumably HMPO will replace the defective passport at no further expense to the applicant. But there would inevitably be a further delay while this was sent back to the UK for replacement and, in all probability, a third trip to VFS needed when the (hopefully correct) Mk 2 replacement had arrived there for collection.

Edited by OJAS