Renew UK passport

5 minutes ago, OJAS said:

In our case, I gather that new passports have to be signed for as correct at the time of collection from VFS, and that, if any significant errors are subsequently detected, the whole passport renewal process will have to be repeated from scratch at further expense

I recently renewed my passport and signed no such declaration at VFS.  

10 minutes ago, Swimman said:

I recently renewed my passport and signed no such declaration at VFS.  

They ask you to check your PP and then sign that you have received it, it is obvious that if there is a error with the PP such as DOB then the process would have to start again, this is why they ask you to check it before you leave VFS

Edited by darrendsd

21 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

They ask you to check your PP and then sign that you have received it, it is obvious that if there is a error with the PP such as DOB then the process would have to start again, this is why they ask you to check it before you leave VFS

My son recently renewed his passport from Australia and did not sign to say it was correct - neither did I.

26 minutes ago, Swimman said:

My son recently renewed his passport from Australia and did not sign to say it was correct - neither did I.

But did he and you (assuming that you also renewed from Australia) have to collect your new passports in person from local agents acting on behalf of HMPO (as is the case here in Thailand)? Or were they sent to you by courier direct from the UK (in which case there is no formal requirement for them to be checked by the applicant and receipt signed for, unlike here in Thailand)?

Edited by OJAS

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But did he and you (assuming that you also renewed from Australia) have to collect your new passports in person from local agents acting on behalf of HMPO (as is the case here in Thailand)? Or were they sent to you by courier direct from the UK (in which case there is no formal requirement for them to be signed off, unlike here in Thailand)?

My passport was renewed via VFS in Thailand and no I was not required to sign a statement confirming the passport was 'correct'. 

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Maybe the chances are slim, but it would IMHO be unwise to rule them out entirely. For example, there was a recent case of someone in the UK receiving his brand new passport with a complete stranger's photo, as described in this article!

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/762359/uk-passport-renewal

In our case, I gather that new passports have to be signed for as correct at the time of collection from VFS, and that, if any significant errors are subsequently detected, the whole passport renewal process will have to be repeated from scratch at further expense (and inconvenience).

However, if an error is detected before the signing-off stage is reached, presumably HMPO will replace the defective passport at no further expense to the applicant. But there would inevitably be a further delay while this was sent back to the UK for replacement and, in all probability, a third trip to VFS needed when the (hopefully correct) Mk 2 replacement had arrived there for collection.

It’s a small risk i’m willing to take for the sake of convenience and stress. I eat noodles in street restaurants and sometimes use aeroplanes too..... not scared of anything, me!!