Former Phuket Democrat MP files complaint against Chalong Underpass construction

webfact

Former Phuket Democrat MP files complaint against Chalong Underpass construction

The Phuket News

1516334835_1-org.jpg

Former Phuket Democrat MP Raywat Areerob hands his complaint to Governor Norraphat Plodthong. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: A former Phuket Democrat MP and former member of the House of Representatives yesterday (Jan 18) filed a complaint to the Phuket Governor for delays in the construction of the Chalong Underpass.

Former Phuket Democrat MP Raywat Areerob together with Chalong Mayor Samran Jindaphol met with Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong at Governor House in Phuket Town to file a compliant about the ongoing delays in construction of the much-awaited Chalong Underpass.

Mr Raewat said, “The Highways Department provided a budget of over B546 million to construct the Chalong Underpass. The contract was signed on July 27, 2015. The contract started on July 28, 2015 with work set to be complete on Sept 14, 2017, a total of 780 days.

Full story:  https://www.thephuketnews.com/former-phuket-democrat-mp-files-complaint-against-chalong-underpass-construction-65626.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-01-19

46 minutes ago, Valentine said:

There did not seem to be anything in the report which would make the contractor lose sleep. Never did hear if this same company actually paid any fines related to the Sam Kong underpass delay.

IIRC they were fined heavily, a 'compromise' was reached and no further reporting on the actual outcome.

If it is the same company they never should have been given another contract after their previous farce.

51 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Does he not know the mantra 'the longer it takes, the more we makes'?

Where there's roads there's gold.

Just reminded me.   I hadn't cycled the Cape Panwa route (down to the Aquarium) for quite some time until a couple of days ago.   Wow, they'd already widened the road about 2 years ago, and it looks like it's about to double in width again!   Given that this is one of the quietest roads on the island (hence good for cycling), some major developments must be anticipated, after of course some major contract awards........

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Have they start digging yet or still organizing the traffic?

I yet to see any serious digging other than the shallow approach roads each side. 

I assume they have no idea how to tackle the circle digging works. Think it's bad now ... just wait (:shock1:) and see how much worse it will get.

55 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I yet to see any serious digging other than the shallow approach roads each side. 

I assume they have no idea how to tackle the circle digging works. Think it's bad now ... just wait (:shock1:) and see how much worse it will get.

Just for comparison:

The Gotthard Base Tunnel extends from the north portal at Erstfeld, in the canton of Uri, to the south portal at Bodio, in the canton of Ticino. The main tunnel is 57 km long and consists of two singletrack tubes, which are 40 metres apart and connected to each other every 325 metres by a cross-passage. With the addition of all the connecting passages, access adits and shafts, the complete tunnel system measures around 152 km. With a rock overlay of up to 2,300 metres, the Gotthard Base Tunnel is the world's deepest railway tunnel; it also has virtually no gradients, with the highest point lying at 550 metres above sea level.

Yes it took them 17 years (204 months) but when you take the 57km divided by the number of months, they achieved under much more difficult circumstances 280 per month. I know it is in a different country:smile:

How many meters is the Chalong underpass, not in time but distance?

18 hours ago, chercheur888 said:

Just for comparison:

The Gotthard Base Tunnel extends from the north portal at Erstfeld, in the canton of Uri, to the south portal at Bodio, in the canton of Ticino. The main tunnel is 57 km long and consists of two singletrack tubes, which are 40 metres apart and connected to each other every 325 metres by a cross-passage. With the addition of all the connecting passages, access adits and shafts, the complete tunnel system measures around 152 km. With a rock overlay of up to 2,300 metres, the Gotthard Base Tunnel is the world's deepest railway tunnel; it also has virtually no gradients, with the highest point lying at 550 metres above sea level.

Yes it took them 17 years (204 months) but when you take the 57km divided by the number of months, they achieved under much more difficult circumstances 280 per month. I know it is in a different country:smile:

How many meters is the Chalong underpass, not in time but distance?

And not forgetting the Channel Tunnel 50kms long & 7 years

On 1/19/2018 at 12:10 PM, Valentine said:

There did not seem to be anything in the report which would make the contractor lose sleep. Never did hear if this same company actually paid any fines related to the Sam Kong underpass delay.

Possibly did pay, but with the fee of 1,000,000 a day capped at 40 days, once they were six weeks over the due date for finishing there would have been no incentive to speed things up. Was probably built in to the contractor's quote anyway.

As a motorcyclist (as are at least 50% of Phuket's road users), can't say that the Sam Kong underpass (or any other one) has made much difference to me. A larger roundabout and a fly-over or two would have been more cost effective and quickly achieved than what they are doing now......

The conversion from lights  at the intersection near the provincial office to a decent sized roundabout, two or three years ago, has worked quite well. 

Edited by Aj Mick