How Many Hours A Week?

Jonson83

I've read that 25 seems to be the average but if you want to earn more you can find extra work easily?

I ask this because i'm hoping to start a Uni course in September and i'll need to juggle both teaching/studying.

There does seem to be a fair few people who are doing this in Thailand,even a couple on this forum(Mbkudu??)

So it must be possible,but the last thing i want is some 45 hour a week job :o

Cheers, Jon

Edited by PeaceBlondie

that can very and range greatly, I wouldnt want to teach more then 20 hours per week though (full time),(although for government school they expect you to stay till around 8-3ish mon-fri. I have taught at a private school and they had me working like a dog up to 40 hours per week, I was doing that back home, and let me tell you 20 hours is good enough cause you need time to prepare for each class and the private school hours were wack, sometimes i had a morning, afternoon, and a evening class in the same day! now where is my social life? lol

I go to uni from 9-4 Monday through Friday and have a two hour private after each day. So, at the end of the day I'm back in my apartment by about 8:00 or 8:30 pm; plenty of time to study for tests or do homework. On Saturdays it's about 5 hours of teaching. I keep Sunday totally open for studying. I think 10-15 hours is all I can do while going to school full time. When I was working full time it was around 30 hours a week.

Usually we talk about 'contact hours' - how many hours of the week we are in front of students, actually teaching. As others have said, 15 to 20 is a practical limit, unless the classes are repetitive, and the work is not exhausting. The other factor is your weekly schedule. Most full time positions are 8 am to 4 or 5 pm.

Language centers offer part time work, but I'm guessing the schedule would interfere with your own university studies.

It very much depends on your needs Jonson83.

A single bloke who doesn't let his girlfriend milk him but he does like a beer or three can get by on 1 job and still have a little cash to hit the beach now and again.

A single bloke who lets his girlfriend (or boyfriend!) milk him will always need cash as he's a plonker.

When you have a wife and kid(s), like anywhere, you'll need to work hard to pay all the bills if you're a good dad/husband.

^Thanks for allowing for equal opportunity plonkers, Loaded!! :o

I agree with the estimates above- government schools are 20 +/- as the man says, and that usually gets you 30K- not much, but you don't really have to spend much unless you have expensive tastes or bad habits. Insurance is a bit of a worry, though, as are visa trips (if still possible) and trips home (if still desirable).

If you're in the city extra work is easy; I've heard that even in the country you can usually rustle up a few private classes.

If your spending is under control, you won't need a 45hr job, but spending and earning can become addictive- and especially in the city there's always more work out there! It can take a few months to get the right contacts to find it, though.

"Steven"

Thnx for the replies lads,very helpful.

Well,i'll have a few grand(£) in the bank when i come over but i'd prefer to live on earnings.I don't won't to be taking any more than 5k bht out of my own account monthly.Fair point about GFs,ill have to be a bit more careful :o

Its an English Uni course,so i'll definatly have to return home after about 15 months or so to put some pounds in the bank.

I teach English science and math 3hrs per day 5 days a week. So 15hrs. BUT I must be at school by 8am and I can leave at 3pm (sometimes 2) So really thats a mandatory 35hrs with 15hrs teaching. (1.5hr lunch)

Now tutoring is where it gets tricky. I end up doing 60hrs a week in a school setting with my fiancee, but hey next year we should be making between 90-100k/month

I work M-F full time at a high school. 7:30am untill 4pm (20x 40min periods a week)

Monday to Thursday nights from 6:30pm - 8:30pm. Language school.

Saturday and Sunday 9-12, 12:30-3:30, 4-6. Language school.

So I guess I work my full time job plus an extra 24 hours at a Language school.

Edited by aussiestyle1983