Wild looking D-link router

amvet

Looks like an alien spaceship.  I want to buy one.  My current network speed is about 200Mbps and WiFi is running around 150Mbps.  I am also getting that outside to my WiFi cameras and the ones inside too.  Is this thing going to make it any faster?  Or is there another reason I can tell my wife I need the thing.  She is an engineer so can't really BS her very effectively.   

asus router.jpg

Do any of your current devices support 802.11AC?

Do they support not just 20 but 40MHz or 80MHz channel bandwidths?

Do they support dual-band 2.4/5GHz or tri-band 2.4 /5GHz + 5GHz radio operation?

Do they support MIMO beamforming?

Hey look, it's got more antennas than the previous model being sold!

Router-640x368.jpg

What is 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and how much faster than 802.11n is it?
extremetech.com  |  By Jamie Lendino  |  August 22, 2016

It doesn't look like D-Link is going to update that for the 'KRACK' vulnerability.  On their support page the following models seem to be good to go:

http://supportannouncement.us.dlink.com/announcement/publication.aspx?name=SAP10075

- DIR-600M

- DIR-813

- DIR-878

- DIR-879

- DIR-882-US

It appears that of those models only the 882-US is close (AC2600 vs AC3200) to the router you have been lusting after.

On Amazon the older 882-US and the 890L both have a 3 1/2 star rating.  Going with the 890L nets you a USB 3.0 port on the rear of the device instead of the front and MU-MIMO.  It also costs 2x.

8 hours ago, RichCor said:

Do any of your current devices support 802.11AC?

Do they support not just 20 but 40MHz or 80MHz channel bandwidths?

Do they support dual-band 2.4/5GHz or tri-band 2.4 /5GHz + 5GHz radio operation?

Do they support MIMO beamforming?

Hey look, it's got more antennas than the previous model being sold!

Router-640x368.jpg

What is 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and how much faster than 802.11n is it?
extremetech.com  |  By Jamie Lendino  |  August 22, 2016

So I plug my LAN into that and then into my PC and go from 200Mbps to 433Mbps?

13 hours ago, dave_boo said:

It appears that of those models only the 882-US is close (AC2600 vs AC3200) to the router you have been lusting after

I read some good reviews on the 882 end of last year and was trying to get on in the UK for a friend to bring over as seemed like very good value for what it was offering. US sites had it at $129.99 early on in November but stock was never available in the UK (from UK outlets) until January - and of course the same price in £ as $.

Still want to buy but I will wait until they "fix" it. 882 has MU-MIMO as well.

Remember, the most whiz-bang/fastest router is only one link in your Wifi chain.  The other link is your devices... that is, the Wifi circuit/chip in your computer/smartphone/tablet, etc....and of course distance/obstacles/interference between the router and your devices can be speed killers.    Things like MU-MIMO are all well and good but only if both ends of the chain implement it.  

On 20/01/2018 at 7:31 AM, amvet said:

So I plug my LAN into that and then into my PC and go from 200Mbps to 433Mbps?

No, your on the 200MB Package.. 

All the hardware in the world won't  make it go 433MB. 

You need to purchase the higher package from your isp first and they normally give you a suitable router for whatever speed you will utilise

10 minutes ago, Bkk2061 said:

No, your on the 200MB Package.. 

All the hardware in the world won't  make it go 433MB. 

You need to purchase the higher package from your isp first and they normally give you a suitable router for whatever speed you will utilise

I am getting LAN 200 Mbps and I think that is the fastest speed in Thailand.  I assume the only speed gain I can expect is to boost my wifi from 150 to 200

50 minutes ago, amvet said:

I am getting LAN 200 Mbps and I think that is the fastest speed in Thailand.  I assume the only speed gain I can expect is to boost my wifi from 150 to 200

Actually, a few Thai Internet Service Providers are now offering 1000/200 service, though these higher speeds don't get around congestion on International Gateway connections accessing sites abroad.

Some people like the even-higher WiFi speeds available with the higher-end 'AC' routers, especially if you use HD or 4K Media Players connecting to your own in-house hosted storage devices. 

While most people with the high-end routers, like an Asus ac1750  or NETGEAR nighthawk ac1900, connecting on 5GHz with an 'air' interface connection of '1300' mbps might obtain an actual per-device transfer speed of >200 mbps -- this speed drops off rapidly at a distance of about 20-30 feet. 

So if you want even faster WiFi you'll probably need to wait for the next 802.11'x' iteration. Otherwise, convert your LAN to fiber.

1 minute ago, RichCor said:

Actually, a few Thai Internet Service Providers are now offering 1000/200 service, though these higher speeds don't get around congestion on International Gateway connections accessing sites abroad.

Some people like the even-higher WiFi speeds available with the higher-end 'AC' routers, especially if you use HD or 4K Media Players connecting to your own in-house hosted storage devices. 

While most people with the high-end routers, like an Asus ac1750  or NETGEAR nighthawk ac1900, connecting on 5GHz with an 'air' interface connection of '1300' mbps might obtain an actual per-device transfer speed of >200 mbps -- this speed drops off rapidly at a distance of about 20-30 feet. 

So if you want even faster WiFi you'll probably need to wait for the next 802.11'x' iteration. Otherwise, convert your LAN to fiber.

I'm on 3bb fiber optic 200/100

You don't need a pricey, high end router to reach 200Mb speeds via Wifi....you just need a decent quality one and "ensure your devices (computer, smartphone, etc) are also capable of reaching 200Mb "real world data throughput speed."     Don't confuse "link speed" such as 433Mb, 600Mb, 1200Mb, etc. speed advertised by router/Wifi manufacturers which is laboratory environment/perfect world transfer speed with specialized equipment with "real world data throughput speed" which is transfer of your real world data. 

I have an AIS Fibre 200/50 plan and right now I'm on a Wifi connection to my Asus AC55UHP router (costs around Bt4K) which is located about 3 meters away from my computer and partially blocked by a 4 inch thick concrete wall.  Below is the speed I'm getting....getting full speed offered by my AIS plan.

6986088943.png

Since my AIS 200Mb plan is limited to just above 200Mb in speed, what if I do a test transfer from my home server (a little cheapie WDCloud drive server) which means my router is being feed with a faster speed than the AIS 200Mb plan.  Well, I get around a 300Mb Wifi transfer speed between my Asus router and my laptop which uses a little USB-AC53 AC1200 Wifi device plugged into the laptop's USB port.  Below is several transfers of a zip file 200Mb in size. 

image.png.3ab6a405e5f7f61b79df449a0694d0d0.png

I got nothing against high end, pricey routers but such routers are really for those folks who have "lots" of devices connected at once since high end, pricey routers have more horsepower to handle many devices connected to it via LAN and Wifi connection.   In fact I have a high end Asus 86U router as my primary home router which gets the signal from the AIS-provided router which is set to bridge mode...that is, just converts the fiber optics signal to an ethernet signal and feeds it to my Asus 86U router which in turn feeds connected devices like the Asus AC55 set to Access Point mode and my various other devices. 

13 minutes ago, Pib said:

You don't need a pricey, high end router to reach 200Mb speeds via Wifi....you just need a decent quality one and "ensure your devices (computer, smartphone, etc) are also capable of reaching 200Mb "real world data throughput speed."     Don't confuse "link speed" such as 433Mb, 600Mb, 1200Mb, etc. speed advertised by router/Wifi manufacturers which is laboratory environment/perfect world transfer speed with specialized equipment with "real world data throughput speed" which is transfer of your real world data. 

I have an AIS Fibre 200/50 plan and right now I'm on a Wifi connection to my Asus AC55UHP router (costs around Bt4K) which is located about 3 meters away from my computer and partially blocked by a 4 inch thick concrete wall.  Below is the speed I'm getting....getting full speed offered by my AIS plan.

6986088943.png

Since my AIS 200Mb plan is limited to just above 200Mb in speed, what if I do a test transfer from my home server (a little cheapie WDCloud drive server) which means my router is being feed with a faster speed than the AIS 200Mb plan.  Well, I get around a 300Mb Wifi transfer speed between my Asus router and my laptop which uses a little USB-AC53 AC1200 Wifi device plugged into the laptop's USB port.  Below is several transfers of a zip file 200Mb in size. 

image.png.3ab6a405e5f7f61b79df449a0694d0d0.png

I got nothing against high end, pricey routers but such routers are really for those folks who have "lots" of devices connected at once since high end, pricey routers have more horsepower to handle many devices connected to it via LAN and Wifi connection.   In fact I have a high end Asus 86U router as my primary home router which gets the signal from the AIS-provided router which is set to bridge mode...that is, just converts the fiber optics signal to an ethernet signal and feeds it to my Asus 86U router which in turn feeds connected devices like the Asus AC55 set to Access Point mode and my various other devices.

Computers are wired (200Mbps) and Galaxy S7 and Asus new laptop can reach hi speeds.  Getting 150Mbps now to my security cameras in the front of the house. 

Computers are wired (200Mbps) and Galaxy S7 and Asus new laptop can reach hi speeds.  Getting 150Mbps now to my security cameras in the front of the house. 

You are getting a "link speed" of 150Mb which means the theoretical max speed possible with that connection if in the perfect world. To stream video from your cameras you only need/use a few Mbs of data throughput speed.