Thai model scooters/bikes a bit ugly?

Damrongsak

Why are many of the small Thai scooters and bikes so ugly compared to similar models I see on the respective corporate sites in Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia and even Vietnam?  Small details, but especially the color schemes.  And why are a lot of them mostly black with just a few colored pieces on them?  So they can't be easily seen when riding in the dark?  Buy a bike that is yellow, red, green or white and the front fender may be black.  <deleted>? There are many talented Thai customizers who do tasteful things, but the manufacturers seem to be clueless.  Just add more black plastic in pointy Star-Wars shapes and a few decals. 

A lot of bikes now have aluminum wheels, but they make them black.  How about aluminum colored rims, or a tasteful bronze or titanium tint?  Only a few have a band of color near the rubber.  I don't even mind the brightly painted ones in orange (Repsol), yellow or the white ones.  Do black wheels make them go faster?  Maybe they preheat the rubber if left in the sun so the tires are up to track temperature?

I guess I'm just stuck on the looks of bikes from the late 60's and the 70's.  I also like cars with the classical German and Italian styling.  

Did it cross your mind that Thai companies sell what most Thai people of the target group want? I am sure in all these companies are experts who think which colors they should chose to sell lots of bikes. Maybe it's not your taste and maybe not my taste but it seems to be the taste of lots of people who buy the bikes.

Maybe modify your bike with the perfect colors for you. And maybe lots of people will see your bike and think, wow, I want one like that. And maybe next year the companies will use "your" colors...

Titanium tint, sometimes darker:

BMW-M3-with-HRE-Classic-301M-in-Brushed-

I think the color works well for wheels and engines, like on these two wheeled vehicles.  Some day I'll buy one of these Yanmarhas.

Maybe I just don't understand why people want so much black these days. 

laos-tractor.jpg

thai two wheel tractor.JPG

Edited by Damrongsak

14 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I'm fond of the boy racer styling for small scooters.  Black can be done tastefully, as on this Thai modified bike.

wild underbone.jpg

27_06_2017_k_speed_yamaha_M_slaz_custom_tracker_moto_Thailand_pipeburn_01.jpg

Jesus, that Suzuki Raider has been seriously modified....

Twin 8 (EIGHT!!!) pot front calipers. USD forks, single sided s/arm. Some bike for an underbone. Paint job and some of the mods are not to my taste, but hey, kudos to the owner.

Thing looks scary.

Perhaps the guy on the other thread (Raider in BKK) should see this.

12 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

I like the look of the Yamaha MSLAZ but don't think it's too practical for the rain....no rear guard at all.

Good beefy tyres tho!  Possibly Vee Rubber VRN 163s

Practical and good looking motorcycles should not be in the same sentence.

When have you ever seen a well made custom café racer, tracker, bobber or chopper that was practical. Never. I rest my case.

15 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Twin 8 (EIGHT!!!) pot front calipers. USD forks, single sided s/arm. Some bike for an underbone. Paint job and some of the mods are not to my taste, but hey, kudos to the owner.

Thing looks scary.

Perhaps the guy on the other thread (Raider in BKK) should see this.

Practical and good looking motorcycles should not be in the same sentence.

When have you ever seen a well made custom café racer, tracker, bobber or chopper that was practical. Never. I rest my case.

I am that guy on the other thread (Raider in BKK). The bike looks great and I wouldn't mind taking it for a ride. I am sure the owner will have some fun with it. I would have loved it 30 years ago...

18 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

I had to laugh at the handlebars.  Looks like infinitely adjustable from drag to cafe racer to normal and, with a couple extension bars, chopper-style ape hangers.  I mostly like it because it has an engine that can be seen and minimal plastic shrouding.  And the rims aren't bad - a bit of bright, a bit of paint. 

Imagine running through a black water puddle on that Mslaz with no fender. 

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I had to laugh at the handlebars.  Looks like infinitely adjustable from drag to cafe racer to normal and, with a couple extension bars, chopper-style ape hangers.  I mostly like it because it has an engine that can be seen and minimal plastic shrouding.  And the rims aren't bad - a bit of bright, a bit of paint. 

Imagine running through a black water puddle on that Mslaz with no fender. 

Yah, just noticed them. And what are those things on the front forks? It looks like the builder just went doolally with aftermarket parts, fit everything the shop sold onto the bike... regardless. Still, each to their own...

Just noticed the 8 pot caliper on the rear. That's 3 discs, and 24 pistons - on an underbone. Tad overbraked?

9 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Just noticed the 8 pot caliper on the rear. That's 3 discs, and 24 pistons - on an underbone. Tad overbraked?

It seems lot of tuners concentrate on the engine and not so much on the breaks. I like the idea that this guy decided the breaks are also important.

On 20/01/2018 at 6:16 AM, Damrongsak said:

I guess I'm just stuck on the looks of bikes from the late 60's and the 70's.  I also like cars with the classical German and Italian styling.  

Bikes of the 60s and 70s had less of what you are talking about, they came in one colour (maybe two), the wheels were chrome spokes, the only paint was the tank and two side covers. But then again you could respray your bike in a couple of hours with one aerosol can, a tank and side covers.