PRINTER ADVICE

one baht

Do you want an ink jet or or laser?   

While inkjets printers print in color there is no shortage of post by people who consistently have problems in keeping the inkjet print heads unclogged....and replacement print heads are not cheap...not expensive either...just not cheap.  And even with ink tanks (internal or external) the print heads still wear out/can get clogged.

Laser printers, monochrome (i.e., black & white print) or color, is another possibility.  Monochrome lasers seem to offer few problems and replacement new toner cartridges good for about 1000 pages of printing cost around Bt1000....above half of that for a refilled toner cartridge.  And the laser Drums last for around 10,000 print pages go for around Bt1,000 or less also.   A monochrome laser is the way to go if you don't need color printer....good monochrome lasers like the Brother DCP-1510 or DCP-1610W (wifi) with 3 year warranty go for around Bt3,300 and Bt3,900, respectively. 

Now "color" laser printers get more expensive....you are now talking a bigger machine and more expensive....getting up to the Bt10,000 and  higher ballpark.  And you now have three toner cartridges to deal with/replace occasionally at around Bt3,000 to 4,000 each.  No sure how much the laser Drum costs.

I currently have a Canon MP287 ink jet multi-function (print/scan/copy) printer with external ink tanks which I've had about 5 years now. I get about 18 months out of the print heads before they just don't want to print properly any more although they have an endless supply of ink for the external tanks.   And occasionally I have to unclog the ink heads which can get messy.

However, next week I'm going to buy a monochrome laser printer, specifically the Brother DCP-1610W for around Bt3,900.  It's basically the same as the Brother DCP-1510 but the 1610W comes with 32MB memory and Wifi compared to the 16MB and no-Wifi of the 1510.  Both of these lasers also scan in color and copy.

I'll have two printers...the laser will meet the great majority of my printing needs which is only black and white print.  Then I use the ink jet when I need to print something in color...hopefully I still use it often enough to keep the heads from clogging from in-frequently use....I try to print out a page or two test color pattern every few weeks to keep the heads unclogged...keep the ink from drying up right at the print-head output but sometimes I forget.

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2018 at 11:03 AM, Pib said:

However, next week I'm going to buy a monochrome laser printer, specifically the Brother DCP-1610W for around Bt3,900.  It's basically the same as the Brother DCP-1510 but the 1610W comes with 32MB memory and Wifi compared to the 16MB and no-Wifi of the 1510.  Both of these lasers also scan in color and copy.

Update: I finally got around to buying a laser printer.  On 21 Jan 18 I said in a post I would be buying it next week...specifically a Brother 1610W.    Well, I kept changing my mind as to which laser model I really, really wanted and got bogged down with other issues.  Still wanted a Brother...just began to think maybe I really wanted a model with more capability such as speed, memory, networking, etc., since I would have this laser for "many" years assuming it don't break.  Also, do a little bit of future proofing. 

Yesterday/30 Mar 18 after over two more months of delaying and trying to decide on exactly which Brother model I wanted I bought one of their  newly released models....at Brother MCP-L2715DW released Jan 18 that has a processor with about three times the speed/power of the 1610W processor, 128Mb RAM vs the 32Mb of the 1610W, prints 36 pages per minute vs 20/minute for the 1610W, can do automatic two-sided printing, has higher DPI scanning and printing, has FAX capability (not that I plan to use that feature), connects via Wifi, Ethernet, and/or USB, Automatic Document Feeder, looks really nice, etc.   

And of course it comes with a higher price.   A normal price for the L2715DW is Bt14,990 but Brother had a sale for the month of March where it was priced at Bt9,990 at various stores like IT City and OfficeMate...a Bt5,000 discount. 

MFC-L2715DW Brochure/Specs 

Brother MFC-L2715DW_Brochure.pdf

http://www.brother.co.th/en/home/all-printers/printers/MFC-L2715DW

Anyway, it's working like a charm.  Fast, quite, outstanding print quality, etc.  The software that comes with the printer works fine....and I even updated the printer' s firmware today using some of that software.  Yeap, already had firmware update although Brother only released the 2715 a few months ago. 

I registered the warranty online with Brother....all part of the software install.  Normally the warranty is 3 years but when registering online within 15  days of buying a Brother printer you get an extra 3 months plus apparently another year added on top of that at least for my model...it all adds up to 4 years, 6 months for parts and labor.   Below is a snapshot of my warranty coverage period now showing in their online warranty system....note the warranty runs thru 29 Sep 2022.

image.png.a38f2835dc3e9473734280cbe9944253.png

I really like the Wifi networking which was easy to setup.  I can print to the printer which is upstairs in my office from anywhere in my two story house.  Just click print from any of my devices, the printer comes out of sleep mode, and a few seconds later it spits out a printed page.  But I don't plan on leaving it powered up/in sleep mode 24/7....too many power surges and lightning storms in Thailand.

It's really more printer than I need...really built for use in a office where a lot of printing gets done...but I bought it for the long haul...and I should be future proofed pretty well.  I will have to say even up to yesterday I was still trying to decide between the 1610W and 2715DW.   The 1610W would have really met my current printing needs, but something kept telling me I would be happier with a model with some more capability/higher specs.  And the Bt5,000 discount on the 2715DW pushed me more to it.   Finally on 31 March before the sale ended I went to ITCity and bought the 2715.   It still may be on sale as many sales seem to continue on after the advertised sale end date.

So far, I'n very happy with it...I hope it stays that way.

Archived