U.S. government shuts down as Trump feuds with Democrats

rooster59

U.S. government shuts down as Trump feuds with Democrats

By Richard Cowan and Ginger Gibson

800x800 (5).jpg

A sign announcing the closure of the Statue of Liberty, due to the U.S. government shutdown, sits near the ferry dock to the Statue of Liberty at Battery Park in Manhattan, New York, U.S., January 20, 2018. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The second year of Donald Trump's presidency began on Saturday with the U.S. government in shutdown mode while lawmakers gathered in hopes of finding a compromise that would fund federal agencies.

For the first time since October 2013 - when a similar standoff that lasted 16 days kept only essential agency operations running - federal workers were being told to stay at home or in some cases to work without pay until new funding is approved.

Facing a political crisis that could have an impact on November's congressional elections, the Republican-controlled Senate and House of Representatives were holding rare weekend sessions on Saturday.

But House Republicans, who gathered for closed meeting before their open session, were taking a hard line against Democrats, which could point to the possibility of a prolonged standoff.

The government had been running on three consecutive temporary funding bills since the new fiscal year began in October.

One senior House Republican, Greg Walden, told reporters the government would have to be reopened before discussions could advance on immigration - a main sticking point that led to the impasse.

Democrats' demand of securing permanent legal protections for 700,000 young, undocumented immigrants as a condition for new government funding, Walden said, was "hostage taking in its worse form."

Democrats counter that they have been pleading with Republicans for months to approve the immigration measure as a stand-alone bill and were rebuffed.

One idea being floated by Republicans was to renew government funding through Feb. 8 to end the shutdown, while working to resolve other issues, ranging from immigration, military and non-military spending levels, disaster relief and some healthcare issues.

IMMIGRATION HURDLE

The partial government shutdown was triggered at midnight on Friday when the Senate failed to agree to a House-passed bill to fund the government through Feb. 16. It lacked immigration measures that Democrats insisted upon and also drew some Republican opposition.

Despite tough words from some House Republicans, others were providing conflicting messages.

Marc Short, the White House legislative affairs director, told reporters on Capitol Hill: "We are anxious to get a resolution on DACA.”

He was referring to the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program that former President Barack Obama created and Trump ended in September. It was providing protection from deportation for the illegal immigrants brought to the United States as children and now known as "Dreamers."

Moderate Republican Representative Charlie Dent predicted the government shutdown will end only when bipartisan legislation is allowed to advance in Congress, even if it angers conservatives.

"That's the price of leadership," he said.

The shutdown began a year to the day after Trump was sworn in as president. His inability to cut a deal despite having a Republican majority in both houses of Congress marks arguably the most debilitating setback for his administration.

In Twitter posts early on Saturday, Trump blamed Democratic lawmakers.

"This is the One Year Anniversary of my Presidency and the Democrats wanted to give me a nice present," he said.

"Democrats are far more concerned with illegal immigrants than they are with our great military or safety at our dangerous southern border," he said. "They could have easily made a deal but decided to play shutdown politics instead."

Trump said the shutdown showed the need to win more Republican seats in 2018 mid-term elections.

"We can then be even tougher on Crime (and Border), and even better to our Military & Veterans!" he said.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi laid blame on Republicans in a floor speech on Saturday.

"Despite controlling the House, the Senate and the White House the Republicans were so incompetent, so negligent that they couldn't get it together to keep government open," Pelosi said.

FADED HOPE

There had been modest hope on Friday when Democratic Senate Leader Chuck Schumer went to the White House to talk with Trump.

One person familiar with the events said the two men agreed to seek a grand deal in which Democrats would win protections from deportation for some 700,000 young undocumented immigrants known as "Dreamers" and Trump would get more money for a border wall and tighter security to stem illegal immigration from Mexico.

Despite frantic meetings that ran through midnight, a deal could not be reached.

In a statement issued minutes before Friday's midnight deadline for a funding deal, Trump's White House said: "We will not negotiate the status of unlawful immigrants while Democrats hold our lawful citizens hostage over their reckless demands."

The reference to "unlawful immigrants" was in stark contrast to earlier statements, including one in September in which Trump proclaimed, "We love the Dreamers."

Democrats and many Republicans want to provide permanent legal status leading to citizenship for Dreamers.

The immediate impact of the government shutdown was eased somewhat by its timing, starting on a weekend when most government employees normally do not work anyway.

The Defense Department said its combat operations in Afghanistan and other military activities would continue, while federal law enforcement officers also would remain on duty.

The State Department warned that it could have problems processing passports.

Trump's administration also said it planned to keep national parks open with rangers and security guards on duty. The parks were closed during the last shutdown in 2013, which upset many tourists and resulted in the loss of $500 million in visitor spending in areas around the parks and at the Smithsonian museums.

But without a quick deal, most day-to-day operations in the federal government will be disrupted. Hundreds of thousands of government employees will be put on temporary unpaid leave, including many of the White House's 1,700 workers.

Parks and monuments remained open in the U.S. capital and on the National Mall preparations were under way for a second multi-city women's rights march. Some tourists appeared unaware of the shutdown while others expressed frustration at lawmakers' failure to reach a deal.

"It’s ironic that they get paid - meaning Congress - and the rest of the government doesn’t,” said Dawn Gaither, 57, a Washington teacher. “That’s what we need to do, kick these guys in the tail and get them to work.”

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-21

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Congress should not be paid during a shutdown and should not receive back pay either. Hit them in the wallet and watch how fast things come to pass.

The only problem though that I can see with this, is they can always vote themselves a raise to get their lost wages back. 

45 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

I agree. Congress should not be paid during a shutdown and should not receive back pay either. Hit them in the wallet and watch how fast things come to pass.

The only problem though that I can see with this, is they can always vote themselves a raise to get their lost wages back. 

Well, that's one way to help insure that only the rich can afford to remain in Congress.

So while just 1 percent of Americans are millionaires, 66 percent of senators are millionaires, as are 41 percent of House members. Even the 2010 elections, with its promises to "take our country back," produced a freshman class of senators with a median net worth of close to $4 million.Mar 27, 2012

www.cbsnews.com/news/why-is-congress-a-millionaires-club

Do any Americans really think that their representatives actually are  representive  of them?  Yes 1%

14 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

So while just 1 percent of Americans are millionaires, 66 percent of senators are millionaires, as are 41 percent of House members. Even the 2010 elections, with its promises to "take our country back," produced a freshman class of senators with a median net worth of close to $4 million.Mar 27, 2012

www.cbsnews.com/news/why-is-congress-a-millionaires-club

Do any Americans really think that their representatives actually are  representive  of them?  Yes 1%

I think 1% is on the low side. 3% or more for individuals. More for households.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/24/a-record-number-of-americans-are-now-millionaires-new-study-shows.html

16 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I think 1% is on the low side. 3% or more for individuals. More for households.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/24/a-record-number-of-americans-are-now-millionaires-new-study-shows.html

ever wonder how many are members of families that already had millionaires in them?

my information was dated 2012

must be comforting to know that 3% of Americans are represnted by their peers

Edited by isaanbanhou

43 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

This "feud" is a smoke screen to take attention off the soon to be released Fisa Memo outlining FBI and DOJ corruption. 

Even the MSM is pointing out that the blame lies squarely with the Democrats. 

So true Boon Mee - the Dems are desperately trying to divert things away from what is going to be a 'great' day when they #releasethememo.

I can believe how the anti-Trumpers so prevalent on TV have not responded to this story with dire complaints and end of the world rubbish.  Not even a diatribe of personal insults and restating unproven allegations proven to be false.

Interesting.  Maybe they realise that Trump is not to blame. After all he won the election stating no DACA and all illegals out.

10 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

I can believe how the anti-Trumpers so prevalent on TV have not responded to this story with dire complaints and end of the world rubbish.  Not even a diatribe of personal insults and restating unproven allegations proven to be false.

Interesting.  Maybe they realise that Trump is not to blame. After all he won the election stating no DACA and all illegals out.

The only ones claiming Trump is not to blame is the what. Everybody else understands.

The Charlatan in chief back in 2013 said the following about a government shutdown-

“Well, if you say who gets fired it always has to be the top,” Trump said. “I mean, problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top and the president’s the leader. And he’s got to get everybody in a room and he’s got to lead.”

He said that further down in history, “when they talk about the government shutdown, they’re going to be talking about the president of the United States, who the president was at that time.”

“They’re not going to be talking about who was the head of the House, the head the Senate, who’s running things in Washington,” Trump said.

“So I really think the pressure is on the president,” he added.

Now, we ask, where is the leadership? The man who claims to have invented the art of the deal, cannot make a deal to save his life. Just another example of the astonishing degree of this man's incompetency, inability to form any sort of consensus, rally the house and senate (a few of the republicans voted for the shutdown), or make things happen. He is inept. He is incapable. He is a very poor leader. And as usual, he knows far less than he thinks he knows.

42 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The Charlatan in chief back in 2013 said the following about a government shutdown-

“Well, if you say who gets fired it always has to be the top,” Trump said. “I mean, problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top and the president’s the leader. And he’s got to get everybody in a room and he’s got to lead.”

He said that further down in history, “when they talk about the government shutdown, they’re going to be talking about the president of the United States, who the president was at that time.”

“They’re not going to be talking about who was the head of the House, the head the Senate, who’s running things in Washington,” Trump said.

“So I really think the pressure is on the president,” he added.

Now, we ask, where is the leadership? The man who claims to have invented the art of the deal, cannot make a deal to save his life. Just another example of the astonishing degree of this man's incompetency, inability to form any sort of consensus, rally the house and senate (a few of the republicans voted for the shutdown), or make things happen. He is inept. He is incapable. He is a very poor leader. And as usual, he knows far less than he thinks he knows.

For those who don't like to read, I'll summarize:

When there was a government shutdown under Obama, Trump blamed Obama. He claimed it was a leadership thing.

Now that there is a government shutdown under "The Art of the Deal" Trump and the Republican Congress, it's the fault of the Democrats. 

Unfortunately, my short summary probably is still too much reading for Trump supporters.

41 minutes ago, heybruce said:

For those who don't like to read, I'll summarize:

When there was a government shutdown under Obama, Trump blamed Obama. He claimed it was a leadership thing.

Now that there is a government shutdown under "The Art of the Deal" Trump and the Republican Congress, it's the fault of the Democrats. 

Unfortunately, my short summary probably is still too much reading for Trump supporters.

Our President had nothing to do with the shutdown,It's called the Schummer Shutdown/fillerbuster/60 vote rule/oppose/resist and taking sides with 800k illegals vs.American citizens .

10 minutes ago, riclag said:

Our President had nothing to do with the shutdown,It's called the Schummer Shutdown/fillerbuster/60 vote rule/oppose/resist and taking sides with 800k illegals vs.American citizens .

I agree Trump did nothing to prevent the shutdown.  It's only called the "Schummer Shutdown" by Republicans trying to dodge responsibility for their inability to pass a budget.

44 minutes ago, riclag said:

Do you honestly believe this, or are you simply defending your idol? Honest question.

The Government of the US was shutdown because the only thing politicians are really interested in is trying to get elected again so they can keep their gravy train rolling.

Both sides know very well they are going to accept the DACA proposal that will allow 700,000 children brought in as illegals to remain and become legal as well as reauthorize the Children's Healthcare act.  The only industrialized country in the World that does not have universal healthcare is the United States. This alone is a disgrace and should be condemned loudly by everyone and it actually violates the American Constitution and the Universal Code of Human Rights.

Donald Trump could have avoided this shutdown by bargaining in good faith and becoming a leader bringing people together instead of holding the DACA bill and Children's Healthcare as hostage for a useless border wall which will cost at least $20 Billion.

The shutdown will also hurt the average American who was counting on their tax refund which will now be delayed as the Internal Revenue Service cannot function during a shutdown.  The military also will not get paid but of course Congress will. I don't know who is worse- Donald Trump or the maggots in Congress who continue to suck the blood of the American people/

What I am looking forward to is the Congressional elections which will see a return of the Congress to the Democrats. Once this happens- they will move on impeachment and all the people in Congress on both sides of the aisle who Trump has chosen to denigrate will get their chance to get rid of Trump.  In addition, the evidence is mounting that Donald Trump and his family have been laundering the money of the Russian oligarchs many of them having made their billions illegally and funneling it through Trump's real estate company.

Donald Trump's empire at one time was going bankrupt and the Russian money allowed him to thrive. However, now that he is President, the Russians expect payback for the money and for tilting the election towards Trump/

Just like during the Nixon Administration and the Watergate affair-  the smoking gun- is simply 'follow the money'. That is the real reason Trump wants to end the MUeller investigation- he knows very well that eventually the money trail will lead back to money laundering and the selling of the Presidency. Trump's minions will be jailed. Trump will either be impeached or resign and America will breathe again.

If it lasts past the end of January- the tax refunds will not go out and people will be very pissed off-  In addition- the military will not be paid unless Congress specifically passes a bill to pay them. So- it might not be a big deal for some- but I assure it will be a big deal to the majority of taxpayers who number in the millions. 

4 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

This "feud" is a smoke screen to take attention off the soon to be released Fisa Memo outlining FBI and DOJ corruption. 

Even the MSM is pointing out that the blame lies squarely with the Democrats. 

Before you get too excited about this FISA memo, you may want to consider a few details about the memo:

1) The memo was written solely by Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee.  Democrats on the committee were prohibited from giving dissenting inputs.

2) Russian "Bots" have been used to boost interest and stoke the fires of conspiracy theory; more than 500 Twitter accounts suspected to have connections to Kremlin online propaganda efforts are being used to peak interest and add credibility to this memo. 

3) This memo is just one more attempt by the republican party to discredit the FBI's investigation into Trump's illegal activities.

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

The only ones claiming Trump is not to blame is the what. Everybody else understands.

What I understand is Trump haters never, I mean never give 00000.1 % credit for anything he's done that's good. Example,appointing a supreme court justice and  repatriating trillions of dollars from other countries. These two instances are neglected by the TH's.Everybody understands 95% of PTrump's news is portrayed negative by the  media.I understand that you never gave the message a chance even before the message was voted into office.The memo will show that the investigators need to be investigated. It's so obvious ,why would the haters want a bull running around in a China shop!!The FBI said they had a insurance policy to stop him

11 minutes ago, riclag said:

What I understand is Trump haters never, I mean never give 00000.1 % credit for anything he's done that's good. Example,appointing a supreme court justice and  repatriating trillions of dollars from other countries. These two instances are neglected by the TH's.Everybody understands 95% of PTrump's news is portrayed negative by the  media.I understand that you never gave the message a chance even before the message was voted into office.The memo will show that the investigators need to be investigated. It's so obvious ,why would the haters want a bull running around in a China shop!!The FBI said they had a insurance policy to stop him

No answer to the real questions asked, just the usual and expected type of post.

Sad.

2 hours ago, riclag said:

He appointed a bad Supreme Court justice, and a lot of other unqualified judges.  I concede that one.

Trillions of dollars repatriated?  Care to provide your source for that?

Trump's message?  During the campaign Trump threw lots of soundbites against the wall and stuck with what were popular with the simple minded. 

One agent in the FBI texted that an insurance policy to stop Trump was needed, but he texted a lot of stuff.  He was removed from his job.  Your claim "The FBI said...." is fake news, or, if you believe it, evidence you are detached from reality.

If it lasts past the end of January- the tax refunds will not go out and people will be very pissed off-  In addition- the military will not be paid unless Congress specifically passes a bill to pay them. So- it might not be a big deal for some- but I assure it will be a big deal to the majority of taxpayers who number in the millions. 

On ?1?/?21?/?2018 at 3:39 AM, ELVIS123456 said:

I don't think there are any surprises here.  Certainly what I expected.  Not the first time and it was in 2013 it last happened.  The road to dumping Trump is proving to be longer that most people thought but it moves along and Trump continues to shoot himself in the foot over and over again. 

Trump fails to govern yet again. Not surprising as he was and still is totally unprepared and unqualified for the job of President and is not willing to make the effort.

Sending out poisonous tweets is not leadership. Doing nothing except playing golf is not leadership. Having no vision is not leadership.

The sooner he is gone, the better.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Trump fails to govern yet again. Not surprising as he was and still is totally unprepared and unqualified for the job of President and is not willing to make the effort.

Sending out poisonous tweets is not leadership. Doing nothing except playing golf is not leadership. Having no vision is not leadership.

The sooner he is gone, the better.

Still unable to accept the outcome, eh.  Three years to go at a minimum.  US government has done this before, it's nothing new.  What is new is you blaming the CIC for a failure of the congress/senate to reach a realistic compromise, which is how government shutdowns always occur.  But hey, if it feeds your irrational dislike of Mr. Trump, go for it, and enjoy your day.