The cheapest farang in town!

DDBKK

6 minutes ago, csabo said:

The moral of the story is that they sell coffee to hot to take away and the UPC code on the cup rings up the price of a full cup of coffee and that Thai logic (like yours) does not exist. 

The hot coffee is planned that way so you spend more time in their shop buying their wares :smile:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The price of beers in bars and can only imagine the extortionate mark uo in Bkk im not suprised. Why bar owners think they can mark up 200% or even 600% on sang som and more is beyond me... And oh its not the rent, im talking of crappie shophouse bars in pattaya 

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

Started traveling in 1975, we weren't called backpackers back then, I think the locals called us hippies, regardless of short hair and ordinary clothes.  Did the overland route from Europe to India, then a flight to SEA from Calcutta.

The northern Europeans who spoke German (not ALL, of course)  had this quirk:  the only real conversations they were interested in involved "how much you pay?"  E.g. if you had been to a place they were headed they wanted to know where you stayed, where you ate, and what you paid, and then they would write it in a little notebook.  But when you answered their burning question regarding a place they had already been, then began the chant "tooo much" (sounds better with a German accent). 

"What you pay for dinner?"

"25 US cents"

"Too much!  We pay only 23 cents!  You (insert nationality here) always pay too much."

Pretty riveting discourse.  Hey, I was getting by on a few dollars a day too, by I was primarily interested in the places I was visiting.

More recently, I was around Pratunam.  Young fellow with dreadlocks with his girlfriend in tow (my guess is she was from another SEA country) asked me how to get to KSR.  I pointed him in the direction and told him it was app. 3km away, and there were buses to take him right there.  He asked how much the bus fare was, I told him 14 baht.  He said that would mean 28b for both of them and that was too much.

I did the overland route from Europe in the seventies, and it wasn't quite as bad as you make it out to be.We were young people on a very tight budget and wanted those limited funds to last as long as possible.Some were proud to get by on under 2 $ a day, for some , but not all, this turned in to a competition.

But, come on , buses in Bangkok were only 1 Baht and 5 Baht for the limited number of air-cons, not 13 Baht at that time, your memory must be failing you.

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

Started traveling in 1975, we weren't called backpackers back then, I think the locals called us hippies, regardless of short hair and ordinary clothes.  Did the overland route from Europe to India, then a flight to SEA from Calcutta.

The northern Europeans who spoke German (not ALL, of course)  had this quirk:  the only real conversations they were interested in involved "how much you pay?"  E.g. if you had been to a place they were headed they wanted to know where you stayed, where you ate, and what you paid, and then they would write it in a little notebook.  But when you answered their burning question regarding a place they had already been, then began the chant "tooo much" (sounds better with a German accent). 

"25 US cents"

"Too much!  We pay only 23 cents!  You (insert nationality here) always pay too much."

Pretty riveting discourse.  Hey, I was getting by on a few dollars a day too, by I was primarily interested in the places I was visiting.

More recently, I was around Pratunam.  Young fellow with dreadlocks with his girlfriend in tow (my guess is she was from another SEA country) asked me how to get to KSR.  I pointed him in the direction and told him it was app. 3km away, and there were buses to take him right there.  He asked how much the bus fare was, I told him 14 baht.  He said that would mean 28b for both of them and that was too much.

I invariably take the red and creams rather than blue and whites if not in a hurry. Saves 2.5B. Lovely.

3 hours ago, mick220675 said:

I have a friend, who is a proper Yorkshire man. He used to bring his wife's expensive face cream bottles to work and re fill them with the cheep hand cream you find on construction sites. His bag was always full of toilet rolls he would steal for his home use. I once saw him pull half eaten food from a bin and eat it.

He now has 3 houses, must be worth a couple of million pounds.

I was working in Newquay in a hotel in 1969 and made some sandwiches for a Yorkshire man. When it came time to pay me he tipped me sixpence.....I said, "I think you need this more than me." He took the sixpence and said in his heavy accent, "I think your reet, lad."

I got a coffee at 7-11 and the water was so hot I would have been there for 10 minutes waiting for the cup to cool down enough to pick it up so I doubled up the cup which is a totally common practice in the States. Some shops even give you the double cup when they prepare it for you or at least those little cardboard sleeves. The keen eyed girl behind the counter making 30 baht an hour was quick to stop the thief (me) and started commenting in Thai to her co-slave that I had 2 cups and asked how to handle the situation. I overheard and told her in Thai to relax and just charge me for 2 coffees. And she did. Free stay at Bangkok Hilton averted. Someone could be stomped to death outside the shop and she would look away but TWO CUPS?! NO WAY MISTER! 

At one time they took inventory of cups in the 7/11 in the USA which is why they provided an optional cardboard sleeve to insulate hot cups.

21 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I was working in Newquay in a hotel in 1969 and made some sandwiches for a Yorkshire man. When it came time to pay me he tipped me sixpence.....I said, "I think you need this more than me." He took the sixpence and said in his heavy accent, "I think your reet, lad."

They say a true Yorkshire man will not wear trousers with a elasticated waist, because they give.

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I have seen this too.. to go the opposite way of what brought you success, saving, can be a difficult habit to kick.

It takes perspective.

Yes kenk24 , there are only a few ferlung way up here in woop woop and 2 of them can not stop work as they have worked hard to be well off , they too should be retired now but they can't give up the work ... a four letter word that ends in k.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well i am a cheap farang, go into big C, look for the yellow stickers 25- 50% discount, get some funny looks from the locals.

What the hell i dont care, my pension is a joke at the moment, pound @ 43 baht.

One thing i said to my wife, when i go put all my money in the box with me, ok darling she says i will write you a cheque:cheesy:

I am sooo with you there colinneil , I too say to 'er indoors " I know we went to Lotus 3 days ago but we need a bottle of milk so lets make it a yellow sticker day "   Only buy items with a yellow sticker .  We go to Top 10 coffee after , a Capp. 30B everywhere else in town 35.  Why !!  43 B - quid.  when I came out in 2005  73 - quid.

I have to admit I tend to agree with you. However, I knew a very cheap, but very wealthy man who insisted he was rich because he had not spent his money all his life. I believe life is too short to deprive yourself of anything you enjoy; if you can afford it and it is not illegal or hurts someone else.

Unfortunately, some people just don't plan their lives and fortunes well enough to do anything except on the cheap.

I am just trying to plan my life well-enough to party until the day I can't and still leave my wife enough to live well until her death and hopefully she has some left for our son--to cover that we are giving to our son and his family now.  

Easier said than done.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, thecyclist said:

I did the overland route from Europe in the seventies, and it wasn't quite as bad as you make it out to be.We were young people on a very tight budget and wanted those limited funds to last as long as possible.Some were proud to get by on under 2 $ a day, for some , but not all, this turned in to a competition.

But, come on , buses in Bangkok were only 1 Baht and 5 Baht for the limited number of air-cons, not 13 Baht at that time, your memory must be failing you.

Methinks you overlooked when he said

More recently,

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

The price of beers in bars and can only imagine the extortionate mark uo in Bkk im not suprised. Why bar owners think they can mark up 200% or even 600% on sang som and more is beyond me... And oh its not the rent, im talking of crappie shophouse bars in pattaya 

They mark it up because all the big spenders pay it.

7 - 10 years ago I was having a massage near The Jolly Frog in Kanchanaburi , it was 180 B per hour . Ouside were backpackers ( JF famous for ) after about 10 mins I heard one come in to the massage place and ask " How much for massage "  Then , How much for only half an hour ? " I gues a happy ending was not for him.

Oh while here , my TW is a Cheap Charlie's Angel.  She turns off my monitor to save the little light, when I go out for my one beer a week.

4 hours ago, csabo said:

I got a coffee at 7-11 and the water was so hot I would have been there for 10 minutes waiting for the cup to cool down enough to pick it up so I doubled up the cup which is a totally common practice in the States. Some shops even give you the double cup when they prepare it for you or at least those little cardboard sleeves. The keen eyed girl behind the counter making 30 baht an hour was quick to stop the thief (me) and started commenting in Thai to her co-slave that I had 2 cups and asked how to handle the situation. I overheard and told her in Thai to relax and just charge me for 2 coffees. And she did. Free stay at Bangkok Hilton averted. Someone could be stomped to death outside the shop and she would look away but TWO CUPS?! NO WAY MISTER! 

I always understood that the way the owner knows how many coffees have been sold is through the cup count - if there are 20 cups gone then 20 cups were sold. If her/their collective till(s) is/are short then the cashier(s) has/have to pay the difference.

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

7 - 10 years ago I was having a massage near The Jolly Frog in Kanchanaburi , it was 180 B per hour . Ouside were backpackers ( JF famous for ) after about 10 mins I heard one come in to the massage place and ask " How much for massage "  Then , How much for only half an hour ? " I gues a happy ending was not for him.

Oh while here , my TW is a Cheap Charlie's Angel.  She turns off my monitor to save the little light, when I go out for my one beer a week.

Did you get masturbated for that 180 Baht ?

4 hours ago, csabo said:

You can carry 7/11 coffee cups by holding the bottom of the cup in the palm of your hand, that bit doesnt get hot .

The cups are also not free , if you just want a cup , you have to pay for the intended  content as well , even if there are no contents

7 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

rich people stay rich by living like poor people .

poor people stay poor by living like rich people .

The toughest conundrum is how to find a happy medium, without running out or becoming the richest man in the graveyard....

3 hours ago, mick220675 said:

They say a true Yorkshire man will not wear trousers with a elasticated waist, because they give.

Quite the opposite, because they don't need to buy new trousers / shorts every time the waistline expands and contracts a bit too much for comfort.:wacko:

Just remember the Yorkshiremans advice to his Son;

'Hear all, see all and say nowt,

Eat all, drink all and pay nowt,

and if thar ever does owt for nowt allass do it for thisen'! 

It's just not true though, Yorkshiremen are not tight just careful....

I will never forget my grandfather, a multi-millionaire, when I was 18 in South Florida would make me drive around to a half dozen grocery stores so he could buy dented cans of food at a discount. Never made sense to me considering cost of gas, time (especially if your 80). 

12 hours ago, bendejo said:

"25 US cents"

I 'owned' a bar in Pattaya from 73-78 - we never had bar fines until the Germans showed up and started Opening paces.  We always had Mama sans taking care of that side of the house.   Bargaining has always been a Thai trait, we always bargained nicely, smiles all around - but the Germans would squeeze a one baht piece so hard, they could get an extra 25 satang out of it.  Americans have always been known for their tipping - can't count how many times I was yelled at for leaving a tip if with Aussies or Europeans  =  "You're ruining it for the rest of us!!!"  I always said "my money, I can do with it like I want".   (guess who get service faster than any of them) The German and Aussie bars  & restaurants also introduced the "10% Service Charge"   we never had any of that before they invaded Thailand.   Just putting the blame where it belongs.:coffee1:

Edited by TunnelRat69

I understand copper wire was invented when two Scotsmen had a tug of war with a penny.

Warren Buffett's net worth is $87 billion. He still lives in a modest house he bought in 1958, and drives a 7 yo Cadillac.

I suppose he gets his enjoyment out of making money. I can't see the point of having it if you are not going to enjoy it.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Did you get masturbated for that 180 Baht ?

Indeed I did .  Bit of a story attached . 3 lovely girls outside and a lad who did the running back and forth with oils and towels . I was naked on my front and got " Is this ok "   Yep.

What about a reach round . Yep .   Where the 3 pretties went I don't know , I got the lad .

I never told my TW who was waiting outside .  Ah the day the mutton dagger took over the brain , but don't tell anyone.

2 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Indeed I did .  Bit of a story attached . 3 lovely girls outside and a lad who did the running back and forth with oils and towels . I was naked on my front and got " Is this ok "   Yep.

What about a reach round . Yep .   Where the 3 pretties went I don't know , I got the lad .

I never told my TW who was waiting outside .  Ah the day the mutton dagger took over the brain , but don't tell anyone.

I was thinking that that was a bargain, but getting a guy to do it and the price is about right .

1 minute ago, toofarnorth said:

I understand there is a tug shop behind the Lanna Hotel in Chiang Mai. Checked it out, and some of the girls are stunning. However, I'm old-fashioned enough to want a massage from nong sow.

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

Quite the opposite, because they don't need to buy new trousers / shorts every time the waistline expands and contracts a bit too much for comfort.:wacko:

Just remember the Yorkshiremans advice to his Son;

'Hear all, see all and say nowt,

Eat all, drink all and pay nowt,

and if thar ever does owt for nowt allass do it for thisen'! 

It's just not true though, Yorkshiremen are not tight just careful....

I am Yorkshire born and bred, I like to think I am generous in my ways but I have seen my fellow Yorkshire men do some shocking things to save a few pence.

My farther who has a good bit of money dry's his tea bags out and re-uses them 3 times. When I was a kid we would go on holiday to Bridlington for a day, the only money we were allowed to spend was what we found on the floor. When I got marred my dad gave me his 8 year old kettle for a wedding present. I love him to bits but he is tight.