Israeli Ex-convict Killed on Koh Samui in Suspected Mob Hit

webfact

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Another "mafia" ?

Why cant they just call them criminals , rather then "mafia" ?

Mafia has a defined meaning, it means a lot more than criminal, mafias are organised syndicates who provide arbitration within their network or criminals.  Do you think this looks like a typical street crime, a robbery perhaps, or do you think this looks like an organized hit that;s sole purpose was to kill?  If the latter then it would imply the work of a mafia.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

Interesting they couldn't get to them at their home so they chose their vacation location. Thailand is one of only a few countries these people can actually have a Holiday in and this is how they behave ;-)

There are 197 countries Israeli's can have a holiday in, there are only 16 which have banned them and not many of them are holiday destinations.

10 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

As if you would execute it better. 

I am not an assassin , but I do think that the basics would be to make sure that there were no CCTVs around , do it in a secluded spot with no witnesses and dont use a car to run people over as that will cause damage to the car and that is evidence . 

*Locate, hit, disappear* and leave no evidence behind and have an escape route , seems the basics

1 hour ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

Interesting they couldn't get to them at their home so they chose their vacation location. Thailand is one of only a few countries these people can actually have a Holiday in and this is how they behave ;-)

Where did you get that moronic idea? Israelis are big world travelers but I have noticed a pattern of adventurous risk taking in their travels. Not talking about crime, all nationals have some criminals, but more like getting lost hiking in the wilderness, accidents with outdoor daredevil activities, etc. Overconfidence can be fatal. 

Edited by Jingthing

24 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Agreed, but mafia has is an expression associated with organized crime, not just the original Calabrian mafia.

Although IMO , I do think that "Mafia" should only refer to Italian/American crime organisations .

Its like calling every biker gang Hells Angels

21 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Agreed, but mafia has is an expression associated with organized crime, not just the original Calabrian mafia.

The original was the Sicilian mafia, but the Mafia in Calabria followed close behind.

And the term is specifically connected with arbitration not just a basic organization of crime, what all mafias have in common is extrajudicial hearings and punishments.

The original was the Sicilian mafia, but the Mafia in Calabria followed close behind.
And the term is specifically connected with arbitration not just a basic organization of crime, what all mafias have in common is extrajudicial hearings and punishments.
Google is great...thanks.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In any case, there is no problem at all using the word mafia to describe groups other than the original Italians.

It's not like the word champagne where similar drinks need to be called sparkling wine for legal reasons. 

The thing is though, everyone in Thailand gets labelled with being Mafia . Some guy who rents out jet-skis by the beach and charges people for a scratch on the Jet-ski, suddenly becomes "Mafia"

Taxi drivers not putting their meters on , suddenly become Mafiosi

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The thing is though, everyone in Thailand gets labelled with being Mafia . Some guy who rents out jet-skis by the beach and charges people for a scratch on the Jet-ski, suddenly becomes "Mafia"

Fair comment. 

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

I am not an assassin , but I do think that the basics would be to make sure that there were no CCTVs around , do it in a secluded spot with no witnesses and dont use a car to run people over as that will cause damage to the car and that is evidence . 

*Locate, hit, disappear* and leave no evidence behind and have an escape route , seems the basics

I think carrying out in public was sort of the point. Sending a message and all that. From the OP and other reports, seems like this is tied to past feuds between rival organizations/families.

3 minutes ago, Morch said:

I think carrying out in public was sort of the point. Sending a message and all that. From the OP and other reports, seems like this is tied to past feuds between rival organizations/families.

I would have thought that the assassins not getting caught "red handed" would have been the main priority , both to the killers and too the people that were behind it .  

29 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I would have thought that the assassins not getting caught "red handed" would have been the main priority , both to the killers and too the people that were behind it .  

From the assassins' point of view, certainly. From their bosses' - only if the connection could be traced and proven. I think that on at least some occasions, such actions are also about face, reputation and such.

Edited by Morch

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

I seem to recall news a while back about some Israelis running a business in Phuket or Koh Samui  with out a business permit 

seems foreign gangs are everywhere Russians  Brits  ect

so much for good guys in bad guys out they are every where

When I put my house on the market the estate agent told me their was a lot of buying going on by Israelis , this is in a small town in east anglia UKi

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

In this case an assassination is being labelled as being mafioso, does that not at least satisfy you?