A Boeing 747-400 assembled south of Pattaya

JohanB

2 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Just a wild guess, but the Terminal 21 site has a large plane (think 747) on their drawing of the future shopping mall. Maybe not the same one but I’d bet they have a plane in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

They show a model of a  747 with shortened wings. But they would probably chose a more modern type in the end. 

Would look rediculous with a full size wide body airplane there......

IMG_0895.thumb.PNG.50657cab830f9c737b41d19462e05632.PNG

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:16 PM, Searat7 said:

Surprised it wasn’t an Orient Thai plane....

In 2002, China Airlines Fl. 611, a 747-200 on the TPE-HKG milk run, disintegrated at 20,000 feet 20 minutes after taking off from TPE, a flight I had originally been booked on. 225+- pax and crew perished.

That 747-200 and another identical model had already been sold by CA to Orient Thai but were still being operated by CA.  The Thai govt. wisely never allowed the surviving unit to be used for passenger service as it was discovered that many maintenance issues had never been logged, an issue directly involved in the airframe failure responsible for the loss of C611.

It sat unmarked on the tarmak of DMK for many years, then disappeared.

I can clear this up for everyone.  My US-based company purchased two end-of-life 747-400s from Thai Airways last year and had all of the salvageable and marketable parts removed and exported to our US site from where we sell them back to the remaining 747 operators of the world.  All such parts have to to fully tested, repaired or overhauled before they can fly again.  That is our business and we do this all over the world.

These two planes were "parted out" at Utapao Airport and the remaining hull of the airframe was basically scrap metal for our purposes and was used as payment to the company that did our disassembly for us.  That company was approached by someone who wanted the airframe reassembled off-site to be turned into a spa (believe it or not) and that is what you see being put back together south of Pattaya.  The same contractor moved that old 747-200 from the Korat airport to some site elsewhere in Korat and it is now some sort of restaurant or meeting place.  They do a great job of disassembling these along all of the proper frame lines so that they can be transported in sections and reassembled like this.  Personally, I would have just crushed it and sold it for scrap metal, but there is always someone out there with more money than sense.

Hope that clears up the confusion.  I don't know when the spa opens and what "services" are to be offered.

Archived