Racism in Schools

ajarnrose

On 1/26/2018 at 8:35 AM, Scott said:

I supervised the foreign staff for a number of schools in several different provinces and my experience with racism is that it is alive, well and living in Thailand.   It is most evident in the pay scale offered to different nationalities.  

Every school that gets a fairly large number of any nationality will run into cultural conflict.   My experience with Filipino Teachers was mostly very positive, but it starts with hiring well qualified teachers.  The qualified teachers are better at tending to their own business and less likely to be concerned with what others are doing.  

The biggest area of conflict comes to actually teaching English and there is a lot of competitiveness between Western teachers and Filipinos.   Filipinos get it from the Thais, from parents and quite frequently from Western teachers.   We did not allow non-native speakers to teach English, so the Filipino teachers were subject teachers for Math, Science, Social Studies, PE, Health Education, etc..  

There is a social structure within the Filipino community and it is wise for the Admin to keep a close eye on it and what is being said.   A lot of problems can be addressed or avoided before they become a full blown problem.   We had a few Filipino teachers whom I kept a good relationship with and they kept me in the loop about rumblings within the community.  

Many times favoritism is real, but more often than not, it is perceived.   Teachers are sometimes asked to do special work, design a new brochure, plan an English camp etc., and they may have regular duties removed.  

It's a strange form of racism as Thais are paid less than nearly all foreign teachers.

43 minutes ago, Loaded said:

It's a strange form of racism as Thais are paid less than nearly all foreign teachers.

Depends on what kind of teacher you are talking about. Most Thai government teachers I know earn well over 30,000 a month, with most of them over 40,000 a month. It might not be the starting salary, but be a teacher long enough and you will get there. Government teachers have yearly pay raises and in addition have free health care and built up pension.

1 hour ago, Preacher said:

Depends on what kind of teacher you are talking about. Most Thai government teachers I know earn well over 30,000 a month, with most of them over 40,000 a month. It might not be the starting salary, but be a teacher long enough and you will get there. Government teachers have yearly pay raises and in addition have free health care and built up pension.

Correct. When she retired 2 years ago, my wife was on close to 80,000 pm. and now gets 50% as a pension plus free health care (for me as her husband, too), access to cheap loans etc. The average salary at her small Isaan school was about 40,000 and the lowest about 18,000 for a 'temporary', newly-graduated non-Government teacher.

4 hours ago, MartinL said:

Correct. When she retired 2 years ago, my wife was on close to 80,000 pm. and now gets 50% as a pension plus free health care (for me as her husband, too), access to cheap loans etc. The average salary at her small Isaan school was about 40,000 and the lowest about 18,000 for a 'temporary', newly-graduated non-Government teacher.

What was your wife's position?

80,000 baht/month is more than a teacher with a couple of years experience earns in the UK.

6 hours ago, Fullstop said:

Concerning young 20 something "assistants", yes. For fully qualified Thai teachers ... rubbish.

A fully qualified foreign teacher works at International schools where salaries range from 60 - 100,000+ per month. Thais don't earn those foreign teacher salaries.

10 minutes ago, Loaded said:

A fully qualified foreign teacher works at International schools where salaries range from 60 - 100,000+ per month. Thais don't earn those foreign teacher salaries.

You're grasping at straws. Bottom line ... most Government school Thai teachers earn more than the "typical" foreign teacher. Simple as that. :)

On 1/24/2018 at 1:07 PM, ajarnrose said:

Thank you for your input.

I have noticed this A LOT over the past month.

I am staying clear and keeping myself to myself and looking for something else :) 

i have met many a person who refuses point blank to hire any phillapina's in any industry. This thread does not surprise me one little bit. Some Phillapinas in Bangkok have even warned me of these certain character traits of their own country people. I used to think some British people were poison, until i came to asia they seem amateurs in comparison

5 minutes ago, Fullstop said:

Hell of a lot of gossipy generalising in this thread. ZZzzz I'm outta here.

Says the person who wrote:

" Concerning young 20 something "assistants", yes. For fully qualified Thai teachers ... rubbish. "

See ya.

Archived