Racism in Schools

ajarnrose

Hello,

This morning, I opened a very very long message sent in the English Department group chat, another teacher calling out about the racial discrimination he faces in this department and how 'Aryan Race' get more privileges at school than he does even though he is more qualified...

Now, he teaches in Mathayom...

I am at Prathom...

It is a Gigantic School over 2000 students.. I am one of three native speakers in the English Department. I have blonde hair and blue eyes.. I have only been at this school a few months. I have a degree in English, years of experience teaching in Asia and also in High schools in the UK as an assistant to ESL learners I am also starting my PGCEi this year. 

I feel like its all aimed at me. Actually, I do not get any privileges and work extremely hard to get my students learning english to the best of their ability. It is a private school, with no English Program only a Chinese program, so English is already limited here. 

Has anyone else faced this type of discrimination for being an English... English teacher from non natives... 

I understand his frustrations, however I have done nothing and neither have the other two teachers to have this outburst message. 

I was close to leaving the school after Christmas, as there was no break over Christmas and all my efforts for the Christmas show seemed to go unnoticed and this feels like its the last straw

What should I do? I personally do not want to go to our department meeting today purely because I do not want to be around someone with so much hate 

Have the Thai administration seen his message ? If not, I think you and your two NES colleagues should collectively bring it to their attention.

I once had a similar, if not direct parallel. I and another foreign colleague had a warning from a third foreign colleague that our lives would be in danger if he was to lose his job. (This came after he had put his own job in a very precarious situation with a very ill-tempered outburst in the office that included him throwing things with the intent to injure).

We wrote up a report, sent it to administration, and he was fired within a day or two.

Thank you.

Admin are in the group chat, but I will talk with them. 

I have never even spoken to this individual as the school is large we have different offices but it is blatantly clear the message is about us. I try to be nice to everyone in the school always smiling trying to help but this has made me feel terrible. Don't want anyone to loose a job, but something needs to be said.

I feel like I have to go an explain myself to him , why I am good enough to work here (just a school normal private thai school) and that I have the appropriate qualifications and experience, I shouldn't need to explain myself to anyone.

I think you should leave asap.

I have limited experience teaching here but from what I can tell, people just aren't interested in conflicts of any kind.  Keep a low profile and line up another job behind the scenes, and quickly.  

Also, I have noticed, once people here get on their high horse, they won't get off it.  I can't see any favorable outcome for you in this situation if it plays out, even though you are obviously bothered by it (and rightly so). 

24 minutes ago, akirasan said:

I have noticed, once people here get on their high horse, they won't get off it.  

I couldn't agree more. Once a Thai colleague teacher didn't speak to me(no greetings, no thanks, no nothing) for almost 2 years(until when she went to work to another school) for just a silly misunderstanding over a joke. No matter how hard I tried to explain myself, the meaning of the laugh, apologize or smile and wai at her every day for almost a month ..... in the end I just gave up.

Like Thai people say: "up to you" ..... :)

If you are talking about a Thai going off in the chat, it doesn't surprise me, many Thais feel the same but keep it deep inside. I've lived here near 15 years I'm not blond and blue eyes, had more than my share of discrimination growing up and done my own share when I was young but I've never been so discriminated like I have been in Thailand. 

I still remember something I read a while back in the Bangkok post said my a Thai MP,  " the more patriotic the more stupid " this fit many Thai in general not only the uneducated.

3 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

If you are talking about a Thai going off in the chat, it doesn't surprise me, many Thais feel the same but keep it deep inside. I've lived here near 15 years I'm not blond and blue eyes, had more than my share of discrimination growing up and done my own share when I was young but I've never been so discriminated like I have been in Thailand. 

I still remember something I read a while back in the Bangkok post said my a Thai MP,  " the more patriotic the more stupid " this fit many Thai in general not only the uneducated.

Not Thai, if it was Thai I would understand. A NNET, who seems to have a grudge against me for me being me. 

6 hours ago, ajarnrose said:

Thank you.

Admin are in the group chat, but I will talk with them. 

I have never even spoken to this individual as the school is large we have different offices but it is blatantly clear the message is about us. I try to be nice to everyone in the school always smiling trying to help but this has made me feel terrible. Don't want anyone to loose a job, but something needs to be said.

I feel like I have to go an explain myself to him , why I am good enough to work here (just a school normal private thai school) and that I have the appropriate qualifications and experience, I shouldn't need to explain myself to anyone.

I would have thought that the people who hand out the "privileges" are most likely Thai?

Not much point in him having a go at you is there?

No reason whatsoever for you to accept any responsibility, or justify yourself, as his argument is with the management and its "discriminatory" practices.

Ignore him, let him stew in his own malicious juice.

15 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Not much point in him having a go at you is there?

Yes non at all thats why I was so upset by the outburst earlier.. Attended a meeting this afternoon about something non related where he just stared at me the whole 1.5/2hr 

OP  Just wondering if you are a lady.  It may also be based on his belief that you are inferior to him.

Teaching Matayom is a difficult task.  I am willing to believe that he was either told that he has been dinged by the admin for something he did and feels that you get away with it.

No matter what though I would keep copies of everything and go to the director.  This is the perfect time for either them to clean house or for you to say bye bye.  

3 hours ago, ajarnrose said:

Yes non at all thats why I was so upset by the outburst earlier.. Attended a meeting this afternoon about something non related where he just stared at me the whole 1.5/2hr 

That sounds like harrassment and just plain creepy. Find a physically strong person to deal with this nutter if you genuinely feel threatened. 

11 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Perhaps the late Prime Minister Barnharn set a good example for the Thais. Allegedly he said 'If a snake and an Indian cross your path. Kill the Indian!' Racism in Thailand? Nah. Never.:saai: 

Ajarnrose

In my opinion you are overly sensitive.

I am speaking as the partner of a Filipina Science teacher, she has been teaching in Thailand for 5 years now. My girlfriend is very well qualified, has a lot of experience, too. Despite this, she had to fight very hard to find a school where she is paid according to her abilities and not according to her nationality.

If you teach in Thailand you should know that racism at schools is very strong. People with lower qualifications and no experience can get much higher salary because they are white or because they are native. For Thai people, identity is mainly who you are (your country, your color), not what you are able to do (your degrees, your experience). That is also the reason why being Thai is so important for them.

Additionally, Thai people generally do not understand the concept of fairness. They just want the best deal they can get, without looking for a balanced compromise. Thais like taking advantage of the fact that there are people from very poor countries that desperately need work at whatever conditions. This happens not only at schools, but even more in other industries like fishing, tourism, or construction, where Burmese, Laotians, and Cambodians are routinely exploited.

Now back to your school ...

If you participate in this system, means you are teaching here as a privileged white native, you are accepting the system, and the discrimination of others, in an implicit way. And you should not be amazed that the discriminated people put up resistance. What would you do in their situation? 

The teacher in question didn't attack you personally. He probably just stated the facts as they are, and in my opinion that's the right way to go. The only way to defeat Thai racial discrimination is to fight against it. Thais even discriminate some of their own people that have darker skin and come from the poor region of Issan. 

Despite me not working here in Thailand I got to know several foreign teachers fighting against racial discrimination here, the one that fought hardest was a black South African. An advisor told him openly: They do not like you there because you are black. History explains much for South Africa. But in the Philippines under Spanish rule, it was the same. Indios (that is how the Spaniards called the Filipinos) were not allowed to enter most parts of Manila, because they were Indio and not white. 

A bit of empathy for the background of others might help you to not take the incident too seriously. 

To sum it up, I wouldn't do anything. It is not against you as a person, only against the system. And his reaction might be understandable. Just be silent, take your big farang salary, and teach.

Regards

32 minutes ago, europeannomad said:

Just be silent, take your big farang salary, and teach.

Yes, I understand the struggles I have empathy and a lot of it.

The school had filipino only staff for a long time and the input of new native staff didn't hold well with him at the start. I do feel uncomfortable around him as it is not the only thing, this was completely out of the blue and blantently directed at me. 

I have not done anything about it, I plan not to say anything and keep myself to myself. 

My big farang salary is the same as this persons salary, happily my school pays all english teaching staff the same starting salary isn't that nice. 

Ajarnrose

Most Filipino teachers in Thailand say: I do not want any personal contact with other Filipino teachers at my school because like that I can avoid potential conflicts or rivalry.

That is rule number 1.

Generally, Filipinos are very competitive people, sometimes they are too competitive, in my opinion.

Therefore, if conflicts or rivalries occur among Filipinos or with a Filipino despite rule number 1, be aware, the danger sometimes comes from behind your back. Telling bad things about you to other teachers, for example.

It might be best for you to avoid the contact with this Filipino. The Thai school management will appreciate this move, as Thai people do not like open conflicts or tensions. And it is best for your blood pressure, too.

The school year is soon over, so maybe look for a school that pays you higher salary anyway.

Regards

22 minutes ago, europeannomad said:

rule number 1, be aware, the danger sometimes comes from behind your back. Telling bad things about you to other teachers, for example.

Thank you for your input.

I have noticed this A LOT over the past month.

I am staying clear and keeping myself to myself and looking for something else :) 

Bottom line, he signed a contract, you signed a contract. If he doesn't like the terms of his contract, too bad. It's exclusively his problem. What can you do about it? Likewise it's not your responsibility to fix his resentments. If the teacher has broadcast his feelings and those can now be said to be known to the school administration, then it is up to those people to deal with the situation. I wouldn't complain or comment if they don't do anything. Just get on with the job. Avoid this guy like the plague. Get on with the PGCEi and get out. 

5 hours ago, europeannomad said:

Most Filipino teachers in Thailand say: I do not want any personal contact with other Filipino teachers at my school because like that I can avoid potential conflicts or rivalry.

That is rule number 1.

Generally, Filipinos are very competitive people, sometimes they are too competitive, in my opinion.

As a general rule racism does not solve racism. That includes stereotyping and generalising about groups of people on the basis of nationality or ethnicity. You are entitled to your opinions, but you're overstepping the mark when you describe these as rules.

You can't expect some Filipinos teaching in Thailand to be anything other than disillusioned when they might be educated to Masters level, board registered and highly experienced teachers who are working with illiterate back packers earning double the money. Most of the ones I know conduct themselves with dignity and are happy to be working and earning. At the risk of upsetting the racists who will chime in about Filipino teachers' English language ability  and the merit of their academic credentials, I will say some of the best teachers I know are Filipinos and so are some of the worst.

In truth I am surprised this problem does not manifest itself more often in Thailand. Personally I think the way Filipinos are treated is appalling. I also think teachers in general are treated very poorly in Thailand too, all of which starts to help understand why the education system is so wretched.

* Deleted quote edited out*

The exclusive responsibility for the state of these programmes is the school's administration. They hire and fire, or don't fire as the case may be. They are the same people who appoint white folks to jobs on the basis that they can stand up and a noise emanates from their mouths when it is open... ideal candidates for teaching!

I supervised the foreign staff for a number of schools in several different provinces and my experience with racism is that it is alive, well and living in Thailand.   It is most evident in the pay scale offered to different nationalities.  

Every school that gets a fairly large number of any nationality will run into cultural conflict.   My experience with Filipino Teachers was mostly very positive, but it starts with hiring well qualified teachers.  The qualified teachers are better at tending to their own business and less likely to be concerned with what others are doing.  

The biggest area of conflict comes to actually teaching English and there is a lot of competitiveness between Western teachers and Filipinos.   Filipinos get it from the Thais, from parents and quite frequently from Western teachers.   We did not allow non-native speakers to teach English, so the Filipino teachers were subject teachers for Math, Science, Social Studies, PE, Health Education, etc..  

There is a social structure within the Filipino community and it is wise for the Admin to keep a close eye on it and what is being said.   A lot of problems can be addressed or avoided before they become a full blown problem.   We had a few Filipino teachers whom I kept a good relationship with and they kept me in the loop about rumblings within the community.  

Many times favoritism is real, but more often than not, it is perceived.   Teachers are sometimes asked to do special work, design a new brochure, plan an English camp etc., and they may have regular duties removed.  

It's really simple. You appoint teachers on the basis of  ability, experience and qualification. You have a pay scale which stipulates where new hires start on the basis of previous experience etc; you go up that pay scale as you progress. In the world of Thai education few schools have a published pay scale, there are no rules ... it's part of the answer to the recurring question as to why the system is so bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived