New York Post wrote a goofy story about which Bangkok neighborhood is coolest

snoop1130

New York Post wrote a goofy story about which Bangkok neighborhood is coolest

By Laurel Tuohy

hgjgh.JPG

This week, the New York Post published “The ultimate guide to Bangkok’s coolest neighborhood,” but their choice in hip enclaves was a bit dated.

Their pick? Thonglor, which they called “Bangkok’s Lower East Side.” Umm, the mid-Sukhumvit neighborhood might have been the city’s coolest five years ago, but that’s hardly the case now, when BKK’s hippest have flocked to Old Town addresses on Charoen Krung, Soi Nana and by the riverside.

As for the comparison to the LES, no dice there either. Whether you dig it or not, Thonglor has long been a playground for the rich — both Thai and farang. The LES is a former working-class ‘hood that was taken over by punks, artists, and junkies in the 70s and 80s and still retains an artsy aura.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/new-york-post-wrote-laughable-story-bangkok-neighborhood-coolest/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-1-24

10 hours ago, Happy enough said:

BKKs hippest have flocked to Soi Nana and Charoen Krung from Thonglor?? yeah alright 5555

They don't mean Soi Nana in Sukhumvit - rather the one near Hualamphong. Ironically it's also notorious for the same thing... 

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

They don't mean Soi Nana in Sukhumvit - rather the one near Hualamphong. Ironically it's also notorious for the same thing... 

Yes, I realize and i notice coconuts promoting this whole area on a number of different reports or whatever theyr'e called. sure one of the guys working there must live out that way and like it. i stayed there for a while last year and have a mate who lives there now, the whole area is a bit of dump for the most part IMO. i hear they think Brixton, Stratford and Hackney are 'hip' now. same shit. what they mean is cheaper than other areas so arty farts without proper jobs can afford to live there amongst the scum 55

Edited by Happy enough

Nothing is "cool"or "hip" anymore, particularly if people are writing articles about it in mass market publications. The world used to have space for these places. These days as soon as anything interesting even begins to develop, tourists and real estate developers immediately swarm all over it and wreck it.

If a place is cool, no one will know. That's why it's cool. They who are smart and have unwittingly found themselves in such a place, come to the realization that it's cool, keep their mouths shut and never fully unpack their shit -- because they know soon enough they will be on to the next 'last bastion of sanity.' They've learned from experience that the center doesn't hold and it is a short matter of time. As a couple of you have implied, if a locale gets a 'cool reputation,' it shortly thereafter becomes a trend. And trends by definition are never cool. So, yeah, what 'nausea' said. Let me get back to my packing.