Things that annoy me about TV shows/ movies these days

canuckamuck

3 hours ago, i claudius said:

My main complaint about so many tv series these days is that they try to be so pc and diverse. Why do so many couples have to be gay, mixed race, or same sex married with children etc etc .it just seems its only done to pacify the minority groups .And please before anyone starts the old homophobe,racist rants .you know who you are dont bother because i could not care less what people want out of their lives i just dont want it rammed down my throat all the time

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

LOL. They've been using the "token ( choose ethnicity )" since the 70s at least and probably before. What is changing though, is the advent of the "kick ass" woman which is epitomised by Shaw in Person of Interest. In fact, it's changed to the extent that men are the minor characters as all the clever intelligent characters are female. Sometimes it works, as in Hunger Games, but then they get big headed and think they are great in everything, which is a mistake, as in Passengers.

Seems to me that women are now either total sluts, or superheroes ( what happened to "heroine" ). It's got to the extent that it's nice to see a show where a female is just a normal woman.

Certainly, more "gay" characters than in the past. Depp in Pirates was as queenie as it gets. However, some of the male characters we get these days are so wimpy I just want to punch their heads in for the entire movie. The ones I really hate though, are the smart arse guys that treat women like trash, but never has a problem getting the wet dream to "lub you long time". Perhaps that's because wet dream women really do throw themselves at smart arse guys that treat women like trash. Strange world we live in.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:07 AM, dick dasterdly said:

Couldn't agree more about the bloody music!

I find it necessary to watch films with the remote control in hand, to keep turning the volume up and down....

I'm also convinced that the (film) actors frequently speak as quietly as possible nowadays, basically whispering.  It could be that I'm going deaf, but I can hear the actors just fine in old movies and sometimes it's obvious (from the tone/'catches' in voice) that they are often (and for no good reason)  keeping their voice as quiet as possible!

Another thing that bugs me about films now is that they seem to make them in darkness so I can hardly make out what they are doing half the time. Then there are the colours they use, which are horrid game show electronic colours. Probably because most of the film is made in front of a green screen and the surroundings are CGI.

Remember when the credits lasted about 3 minutes, while now they take about 15 minutes to scroll through the seemingly thousands of computer operators that it took to make the movie?

Not that a computer generated film is always bad. I loved the Valerian film ( and the heroine wasn't half bad looking either ).

3 hours ago, i claudius said:

My main complaint about so many tv series these days is that they try to be so pc and diverse. Why do so many couples have to be gay, mixed race, or same sex married with children etc etc .it just seems its only done to pacify the minority groups .And please before anyone starts the old homophobe,racist rants .you know who you are dont bother because i could not care less what people want out of their lives i just dont want it rammed down my throat all the time

Just a thought, but it might be because those are the people actually paying to see movies now. Few of my friends ever go to movies any more, but that could be because they are just too expensive now ( one reason I like living in LOS- cheap movies ).

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Another thing that bugs me about films now is that they seem to make them in darkness so I can hardly make out what they are doing half the time. Then there are the colours they use, which are horrid game show electronic colours. Probably because most of the film is made in front of a green screen and the surroundings are CGI.

Remember when the credits lasted about 3 minutes, while now they take about 15 minutes to scroll through the seemingly thousands of computer operators that it took to make the movie?

Not that a computer generated film is always bad. I loved the Valerian film ( and the heroine wasn't half bad looking either ).

Are you watching these movies in the cinema? I never had that problem in the cinema.

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just a thought, but it might be because those are the people actually paying to see movies now. Few of my friends ever go to movies any more, but that could be because they are just too expensive now ( one reason I like living in LOS- cheap movies ).

You can download almost anything for free anywhere in this world.

Two gripes about modern day TV

1 - I agree with several other posters, that background music in mainly US docos, like National Geographic etc, is so loud, that it totally obliterates whatever the presenter or guest is saying. I've no idea what the producers are trying to achieve by this. David Attenborough's series use virtually nil background music. Great move.

2 - What's with these wildlife film makers ? All trying to outdo each other with the "bravest and silliest" stunts with wild animals. Man handling cobras, jumping into piranha infested rivers, getting chummy with wild gorrillas etc etc.

Suppose it'll be award winning TV when one finally gets his stupid head bit off. Steve Irwin was unlucky, but he did his share of stupid stunts also.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, roo860 said:

Did they want Skippy to wear a burkha?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No. They cut a woman singing. Apparently women singing is a crime.

When Bill Clinton was inaugurated I was switching back and forth from the Saudi tv and the BBC. The BBC showed a woman singing close up, while Saudi tv had a long shot from far far away and no sound of her.

16 hours ago, partington said:

Pouffes, blacks, women, and young people.

What happened to all the old ignorant fat white men who used to be everywhere.

It seems like being an annoying old  predjudiced tit is no longer acceptable.

Why oh why !?

Burl Ives was lovely. No way he was annoying, ignorant or a tit and I have no idea if he was prejudiced.

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You can download almost anything for free anywhere in this world.

Keep it up and you won't be able to download anything at all because people don't like being ripped off.

Anyway, you can keep your movies at home. I'll see them in a proper cinema where they can be appreciated properly.

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Are you watching these movies in the cinema? I never had that problem in the cinema.

I had to think about that, and those would be movies on tv. Some movies just don't translate well to the small screen.

I have to agree I've never had a problem in the cinema.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Keep it up and you won't be able to download anything at all because people don't like being ripped off.

Anyway, you can keep your movies at home. I'll see them in a proper cinema where they can be appreciated properly.

I like to watch movies in the cinema and only extreme seldom at home. But I am aware that lots of movies are available for free - many even at YouTube.

But you contradict yourself. Because in your next post you write more or less that you look movies at home.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:50 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I like to watch movies in the cinema and only extreme seldom at home. But I am aware that lots of movies are available for free - many even at YouTube.

But you contradict yourself. Because in your next post you write more or less that you look movies at home.

Badly worded on my part, sorry. I was letting my concern that free downloads are going to kill the movie industry get the better of me.

I don't download movies. I do watch movies on tv or DVD, so I do watch movies at home but I prefer the cinema.

I'm watching Hawaii 5 0 right now and it's really annoying me. For those that don't know it's the new PC version of the original back in the 70s or something like that.

Supposed to be about tough guy cops, but these spend more time whining about their girlfriends and one even has a ( cute of course ) young daughter, so they can all spend lots of ( movie ) time hanging out in little league being the best dads they can be. Has the obligatory ( these PC days ) kick ass women cops, and other women in the show only because they are women being "strong", and showing the men how to do it.

Oh well, at least they are all DDG, so OK to look at with the sound off.

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was letting my concern that free downloads are going to kill the movie industry get the better of me.

They cost $15. to watch at a theater where I live. I'm afraid I don't have  lot of empathy for the movie industry. They may not make the same huge profits they did before, but they do OK. socal.gif

9 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

They cost $15. to watch at a theater where I live. I'm afraid I don't have  lot of empathy for the movie industry. They may not make the same huge profits they did before, but they do OK. socal.gif

Only the big production companies make profits. The best films which are made by independent producers are hurting badly and that is why most films are Transformers c***. I don't want to have a situation where every movie is Avengers garbage, because the indie movies can't get finance. The Big Sick was far better than anything Bruckheimer ever made in his entire career.

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm watching Hawaii 5 0 right now and it's really annoying me. For those that don't know it's the new PC version of the original back in the 70s or something like that.

Supposed to be about tough guy cops, but these spend more time whining about their girlfriends and one even has a ( cute of course ) young daughter, so they can all spend lots of ( movie ) time hanging out in little league being the best dads they can be. Has the obligatory ( these PC days ) kick ass women cops, and other women in the show only because they are women being "strong", and showing the men how to do it.

I didn’t even last one full episode. Sacrilege!

• Thanks 1

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:05 PM, i claudius said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but a Western Australian politician recently said, the term “Blind Freddy” is an affront to

“those who are disability access conscious”

FMD

Where will it end?

I'm another who finds shows very annoying when speech is drowned out by music, and scenes seem to be always shot in darkness or rain storms. It's bad enough getting old with failing eyes and eyes without movies making life harder. Also, has the US ever held a funeral for a soldier or policeman where it hasn't been pissing down? 

And why do cops enter dark crime scenes holding torch and gun together, haven't they heard of light switches?

Agree with others, I stopped watching Hawaii 5-0, because of the inane personal relationships and PC casting. The two main characters, the commander and the shortest cop in film, continually bicker like an old married couple. Was waiting for them to consummate the relationship.

Tried to watch the new Star Trek series. All the stars are female and black or female and Chinese and even the main Klingon character is female. The guys are all super villains or black and gay or white and gay. The latter two had a big kissing scene early in the series. (The white guy was the one who was jumped on by Spacy about 30 years ago at a party)

• Thanks 1

I hope the kick ass women cops are black, lesbian, single mothers and the male cops are gender fluid.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Tried to watch the new Star Trek series. All the stars are female and black or female and Chinese and even the main Klingon character is female. The guys are all super villains or black and gay or white and gay. The latter two had a big kissing scene early in the series. (The white guy was the one who was jumped on by Spacy about 30 years ago at a party)

I know what you mean. Another tragedy. I can safely say that will never darken my screen. Seems you are an oddball these days if you’re not some raging post op ethnic raging Nancy boy with issues.

• Like 2

I know what you mean. Another tragedy. I can safely say that will never darken my screen. Seems you are an oddball these days if you’re not some raging post op ethnic raging Nancy boy with issues.

I don't know. I think bigots are well represented on television as well.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:32 AM, Ulysses G. said:

The original series is the only one that did it for me.

Black and white in 1969 or 70. The difference then was it was FUN. Nobody cared that the rocks were lumps of polystyrene in a studio and the cardboard walls wobbled as it had a plot, adventure, real men doing real man stuff, girls wore miniskirts and didn't kick anyone's ass. Most of all, none of them took themselves seriously. Now every tv soap actor is able to comment on world politics like an expert.

One of my all time favourite series was China Beach, which featured strong women characters which were actually women, and not wannabe men. Dana Delany was super feminine even covered in blood and gore after a hard shift in the operating room and never once kicked someone's ass.

Another, first series of The Avengers with Dianna Rigg ( didn't like it after it went colour ) featured a super sexy strong female character that did kick ass, but always in a feminine way, and never needed to take her clothes off ( except for one episode in the Hellfire club when she wore a corset , but the plot required it, not just to take her clothes off for the sake of it ), or thrust her breasts at us. Best thing though, was it actually had a plot, and wasn't just blowing things up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Black and white in 1969 or 70. The difference then was it was FUN. Nobody cared that the rocks were lumps of polystyrene in a studio and the cardboard walls wobbled as it had a plot, adventure, real men doing real man stuff, girls wore miniskirts and didn't kick anyone's ass.

Lost in Space was another one like that. Silly special effects, but fun with a good story.

• Like 1