Student dies in horror mishap at Udon Thani railway crossing

webfact

Student dies in horror mishap at Udon Thani railway crossing

By The Nation

A vocational-school student riding a motorcycle in Muang Udon Thani was killed on Friday morning when her neck was caught in the sling of a railway crossing barrier that had just been lowered.

Police said Natnicha Daharn, 21, a second-year student of Udon Thani Vocational School, might have not noticed the lowered barrier because the sun would have been in her eyes.

They said her head was nearly severed in the 7.50am mishap on Dong Rai-Ban Phua Road in Tambon Ban Khao.

Witnesses said Natnicha was approaching the level crossing on her motorcycle just as a train arrived and an official manning the site lowered the barrier with its red-and-white sign telling motorists to stop.

The student seemed not to see the barrier and ran into the sling. She was pulled off the bike, which fell at the roadside.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30337221

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-26

7 hours ago, smew said:

Another an fortune accident totally preventable if someone on highways department conducted proper risk analysis. RIP so much life was wasted!

We are in Thailand where life is cheap..."risk analysis" only relates to the wearing of expensive watches :glare:

R.I.P. young lady :wai:

this guy was doing a good job at a bangkok railway/road crossing along with barriers, lights and bells but... motorcyclists still insisted in riding round the barriers as they were  being lowered and after they had been lowered despite the imminent arrival of the train.

i'm not saying this happened to the poor girl in question but there is a culture here of ignoring basic safely information and instructions, and indeed ignoring common sense

DSCF9190.thumb.JPG.d29d8d646b94e9c17051dfa2cd3a0fa7.JPG.

Nothing at all unusual about this story.  I live in Udon Thani and see this kind of stupidity nearly every day.  There are signs, flashing lights, road humps, flashing lights and bells to warn any motorist who chooses to listen or observe the warnings.  Unfortunately, Thai people choose to ignore safety warnings of all sorts and often pay with their life.

1 hour ago, fdimike said:

Nothing at all unusual about this story.  I live in Udon Thani and see this kind of stupidity nearly every day.  There are signs, flashing lights, road humps, flashing lights and bells to warn any motorist who chooses to listen or observe the warnings.  Unfortunately, Thai people choose to ignore safety warnings of all sorts and often pay with their life.

Live here, too.  And you're absolutely positively correct on that count.  The casual "What, me worry?"  MAD magazine attitude toward road safety and their own lives is simply mind boggling.  She wasn't paying attention.  Full stop!  Tragic?  Yes.  Stupid?  Absofrickinlutely!

Edited by InnerCynic

12 hours ago, InnerCynic said:

Live here, too.  And you're absolutely positively correct on that count.  The casual "What, me worry?"  MAD magazine attitude toward road safety and their own lives is simply mind boggling.  She wasn't paying attention.  Full stop!  Tragic?  Yes.  Stupid?  Absofrickinlutely!

When staying up north with a friend, she acts as driver and guide. Always passing on mountain curves, or crossing into opposing lane. Can't get her to see the folly in this. Her reason: "My truck bigger. No problem."

My friend came to Chiang Mai with several others on their big bikes, I hired one to accompany them. 

As an experienced rider for forty years, including as a police rider,  I was appalled at their recklessness on blind bends and racing alongside each other, and soon decided to drop back and divert.

These were comparatively wealthy and “skilled” riders, at least one of whom has since died on his bike. 

No surprise 80% of road deaths in the country that leads road fatalities are motorcyclists, no self preservation attitude or behaviour, no training or enforcement to save them from themselves.

I really think the only solution to this problem is to increase law enforcement and to change how the traffic police operate.    The traffic cops do nothing now unless they're at an official checkpoint.  As best I can determine only Traffic Police are there to supposedly enforce the traffic laws.  No other police will even lift a finger or utter a s simple word to a motorist who is obviously violating the law.  There are heavily used roads all over this province without any Traffic Police presence at any time of the day or night. 

The people drive as they please and at whatever speed they please as well without a care for anyone else on the road.   A mix of speeding cars being passed by pickup trucks driving even faster being passed by modified motorbikes traveling well in excess of 100 + KPH without any care at all for vehicles coming in the opposite direction.  Signal when making a turn?  You can't be serious because that's much too difficult for the average Thai motorist whether in a car, pickup or motorbike.   The end result of all this is that Thailand is either in 1st or 2nd place  in the WORLD when it comes to road deaths. 

On 28/01/2018 at 1:07 AM, Mac98 said:

When staying up north with a friend, she acts as driver and guide. Always passing on mountain curves, or crossing into opposing lane. Can't get her to see the folly in this. Her reason: "My truck bigger. No problem."

Yep my girlfriend is similar to that. Only difference is she rides a bike, 

No helmet       why?      Because brother not wear

Rides bike to nightclub,  gets drunk, rides home    Why?  Because she has more control of bike when drunk ?????    AND she knows herself.   Yeah right

you can tell her until the cows come home , BUT   SHE KNOWS HERSELF

Methinks Nuff said !!