Thailand (local health insurance) for expat

Hello all,

A Thai born lived in Los Angeles for 26 years and just moved back to Thailand two years ago.  May be I can help.  I'm just recently working with AIA in Udonthani.   I had life insurance license with State of California years ago.  So I'll be honest with you.  If i can't help you or the local is more expensive, I'll let you know.  Please private message me or email me for info: <contact by personal messenger>

Also Personal Accident or as Thai called it "Pee Ae" is a very good basic coverage.  The reason being that Thai hospital may not sure if the foreign insurance will covered the medical expenses.  But if you have local insurance, they are more likely to taking good care of you.  Any insurance will do.  Thai banks have it.  If you are 70 or older, I think the Personal Accident that the bank sale is cheaper.  Same case with my aunt.  She is 72 year old Thai with American passport.  I looked it up with my AIA's price.  The coverage is less, but it is cheaper at the bank.

Any question please don't hesitate to ask.   I hope I can help fellow expat,

Joey

Edited by ubonjoe
removed email address (forum rule)
  • Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, ubonjoe said:

You cannot do it.

You can only get private insurance by paying a substantial amount of money for it.

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, tstcman said:

Sucks, oh well looks like I'm stuck with no insurance then. I'm already paying Insurance in the US than I can afford being on a pension here I can't afford to pay two insurances at once.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

is your Thaiwife a civil servant? if yes may be you can benificiary of her health insurance

There used to be an insurance plan available at the local government hospitals - my local hospital offered it but you had to have the Yellow Book - Hence the reason I danced and jumped through many hoops to get the yellow tabien bahn, however, by the time I got the yellow book, the option for foreigners to be put on the Thai health insurance had been scrapped. I believe it lasted for only about a year before it was done away with.

Now, as posted by others, you can only get private cover.

As an aside, when I was living here years ago, my wife managed to get me on the Thai 30 Baht scheme, I had a card and everything despite not having the yellow book. I used it once for some Tetanus jabs and stitches after an accident when I messed up my foot...again, this was revoked in less than a year.

Despite the shortcomings and gripes a lot of us have about the systems here for foreigners, I will give them some credit. If you ever have a medical emergency the hospitals (both government and private) will treat you and make sure they do their best for you, without asking for cash up front, which is more than can be said about some of the hospitals in China. They would let you die before they provided treatment without first making sure you can pay.

Edited by Formaleins

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, wgdanson said:

Be aware that BUPA Thailand is now AETHENA Thailand. Let's see if my premium jumps up in July.

They will if you turn 56, 61, 66... judging by your pic (?) you're not older. Aethena premiums will follow Bupa's scheduled increases for several more years, which means that annual increases will be minimal (similar to inflation rate increases), but every 5 years there's a jump of up to 30%. The older we get, the higher the increase!

On 1/26/2018 at 8:13 PM, wgdanson said:

About the same as BUPA/Aethena now. But only In Patient treatment. You get 10% rebate if you don't use it in any one year, so be aware that unless the claim is more than Bht 5500, don't bother.

Outpatient care is available (or was when I had BUPA) at an additional cost, but the additional premium is nearly as much as the maximum that you can claim in one year for outpatient charges and, as I recall, even that does not include prescription drugs needed once you are no longer an inpatient.

On 26/1/2561 at 6:54 PM, Pennywise said:

Recently I signed a health insurance combination with a life insurance as per request of my Thai wife, with Krungthai-AXA insurance company. Coverage is good, Thailand only, and the total premium for both is reasonabley low at 55KTHB/annum.

Hi  Pennywise
Yes indeed this is such a very complex subject and yes married with my Thai Wife and Family and they have tried to get me on the Family medical insurance and  no luck at all.  Amazing in that obviously one provides for the vast majority of the expenses incurred and have been getting quotes from the International Companies in Thailand and at age 67 absolutely sky high.
I have also got local Thailand Company quotes like Mister Prakom and  quite a few of the others and just wondering how did you get your insurance with Krungthai-axa insurance and presume you bank with them. I have a totally different bank but the local quotes not too bad, but it seems many ( and also the huge premiums the International Companies) do insure up to the age of 70 and then afterwards assume the premiums will rocket.
Can anyone state what experiences they have had and if making claims is it all done really well and quickly.
I have looked in to this extensively and have an OPD card from our local hospital and some people state one is covered, but others state it allows one to use the facilities.
Any advise appreciated and yes hidden clauses are not easily detected.

On 26/1/2561 at 6:54 PM, Pennywise said:

Recently I signed a health insurance combination with a life insurance as per request of my Thai wife, with Krungthai-AXA insurance company. Coverage is good, Thailand only, and the total premium for both is reasonabley low at 55KTHB/annum.

Hi Pennywise
Did post a few moments ok and submitted it but can not see it.

Yes have looked on the net extensively and been looking at the huge unaffordable premiums from the International Companies and also the local Thai insurance Compnies such as Mister Prakan and several others.
It seems that they are willing to insure up to the age of 70 and then preumably the premiums will rocket or indeed medical insurance cover would cease??
I assume you must bank with Krungthai in order to get this AXA insurance and I bank with some other bank.
Also anyone who can shed light on the treatment (if any) and the settlement of claims.
Yes indeed a minefield and often hidden clauses etc and not just here in Thailand.
Appreciate any views and experiences and I have a local OPD card from the local hospital (and this was very difficult to obtain) and some people state that one is covered, while others say the total opposite.
Thanks all

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agree 'personal accident' is not health insurance but still worth having and the premiums not too bad.

The biggest risk to having a personal accident comes from being on Thailand's roads.

Many Thais take this cover as a cheaper alternative to other types of Insurance.

Becoming ill or sick and requiring surgery is not a 'personal accident'.

Being involved in a road traffic accident is also excluded from 'personal accident' policies.

A couple of friends have had private health Insurance policies in the past, but just the smallest claim doubled the premium the following year, (the premium could increase more than the claim submitted) and excluded any further cover for that condition.

It will also exclude any pre existing conditions.

Typically a premium started at 65,000 and having submitted two claims in 2 years of 12,000 baht and 32,000 baht respectively have seen the premium renewal increase to 180,000 baht this year. They didn't renew.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

The biggest risk to having a personal accident comes from being on Thailand's roads.

Many Thais take this cover as a cheaper alternative to other types of Insurance.

Becoming ill or sick and requiring surgery is not a 'personal accident'.

Being involved in a road traffic accident is also excluded from 'personal accident' policies.

A couple of friends have had private health Insurance policies in the past, but just the smallest claim doubled the premium the following year, (the premium could increase more than the claim submitted) and excluded any further cover for that condition.

It will also exclude any pre existing conditions.

Typically a premium started at 65,000 and having submitted two claims in 2 years of 12,000 baht and 32,000 baht respectively have seen the premium renewal increase to 180,000 baht this year. They didn't renew.

Check the policy. In general it is included, but limited cover for motorbike accidents.

On 1/26/2018 at 6:22 PM, BritTim said:

Depending on your age and lifestyle, things like heart attacks, strokes and appendicitis could hit without warning and cost you a fair bit.

Correct. But I do not have a choice. 5 by passes in 2005 so all heart related issues are"pre existing" not covered. Self insured when I had heart attack in Dec. 2015. Total bill at the end of the week (included a "bonus" of experiencing a TIA) was 11, 000 baht at Ram, Chiang Mai. Found out I have a BC/BS Seniors supplemental policy as part of my retirement. They will pay up to $5000.00 overseas so my cost was $6000. Ouch but cannot get on a plane for Medicare in such a case.

I've know many a foreigner who had national health insurance back home, thought if need be just hop on a plane and get treatment. They ended up too sick to get on that plane and because of bad planning spent their last unpleasant days in a rather grimy local hospital...food for thought....

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:22 PM, BritTim said:

Depending on your age and lifestyle, things like heart attacks, strokes and appendicitis could hit without warning and cost you a fair bit.

Appendicitis is a minor operation these days.

I had mine removed in Thailand, 12,400 baht, one night stay in a private room in a government hospital.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Appendicitis is a minor operation these days.

I had mine removed in Thailand, 12,400 baht, one night stay in a private room in a government hospital.

Only true if you seek treatment promptly before life threatening peritonitis sets in, which can be within 24 hours of the first symptoms.

• Like 1