Maintaining That 100,000 Baht Pm Lifestyle

Desertexile

What do you reckon Gents?

To maintain a 100,000 THB income which rises with inflation and thus maintains the same income 20 years down the line, I reckon on the following:

670,000 GPB investments at 5% (HSBC non-resident bonds – money safe as houses)

3% living costs / 2% reinvested

3% = 20,100 GBP x 60 THB (on the safe side) = 1,206,000 THB / 12 = 100,500 THB P/M

Based on the 2% reinvestment the 3% pay out would rise every year, hopefully in-line with inflation

That’ll pay for overseas trips, nice motor, plenty of beer and some western luxuries. hel_l, even a few Eden club visits.

###### – I have to stay in the dunes longer

So, for anyone thinking 50K or equivalent lifesytle is enough - cut the investment in half, and so on.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inflation is the key here. It's edging towards 3% in the U.K. and your savings are in sterling. The calculation should perhaps focus not on what you reinvest but how much you take out. I say this because inflation + 2% is not hard to find as an investment return. Therefore, whatever happens to inflation, if you only live on 2% of the current capital, your capital is not diminished. You have decided to take out 3% so there could well be capital reduction. Also is the HSBC 5% a fixed interest a/c with penalties for withdrawal? Could you catch a cold if inflation increases?

Also you need to factor in your age and how much you wish to leave to loved ones.

Large capital expenditure such as a condominium or a car have to be budgeted for as well.

You have not mentioned tax on investment income but you may have found a way to circumvent this by means of non-residency for tax purposes.

Having said all this, your calculation looks credible.

The other side of the equation is your expenses. Are you sure you intend to spend 100,000 Baht a month? That's a lot of spending in LOS.

Happy retirement.

71,000 baht a month is doable from 250,000 pounds in the bank (UK where interest rates are in excess of 5%). You could even squeeze 6% p.a / p/m if you find a decent bond deal. 250k sterling which is a lot less than 671k sterling.

However account in the figures that the pound does fluctuate from 66 - 73 baht in you total so you arrive at a sliding scale of income.

I agree though that 100,000 baht is an obsene amount of cash to have per month when struggling teachers get by for 25k a month.

71,000 baht a month is doable from 250,000 pounds in the bank (UK where interest rates are in excess of 5%). You could even squeeze 6% p.a / p/m if you find a decent bond deal. 250k sterling which is a lot less than 671k sterling.

However account in the figures that the pound does fluctuate from 66 - 73 baht in you total so you arrive at a sliding scale of income.

I agree though that 100,000 baht is an obsene amount of cash to have per month when struggling teachers get by for 25k a month.

Yeh 250K will fo it BUT - your money is dwindling every month, you havent factored in 60THB to 1 GBP to be safe.

100K is a lot of cash in Thailand BUT its not much if you fancy spending time elsewhere.

<deleted> wants to live on 25K like a teacher?

<deleted> wants to live on 25K like a teacher?

Youv'e got that right, i wouldn't....but....what if that 25k baht meant that you could retire in Thailand earlier than you had planned? I've not done the math but it's a quarter of your budgeted monthly spend. So could you do it with £450k invested and work to attain the rest?

As for me (and some people i've met on here have called me barking) i'm budgeting for 150k baht per month, before i finish in the UK and go to los for good. Yeah it's a lot but i don't want to run out if i live longer than i expect (too old to get a job then)!!

I also don't want to be penny pinching, i want to be able to do what i want, when i want and that includes airfares to other countries.

Each person has their own idea on cumfy living though :o

I assume you've spent a considerable time in LOS already. Would you like to give a rough breakdown of how you would spend 100,000? I'm not going to dispute it. I'm just interested in what you would spend that on.

If you've only been here on holiday, you might find it's a lot cheaper to stay here long term.

I assume you've spent a considerable time in LOS already. Would you like to give a rough breakdown of how you would spend 100,000? I'm not going to dispute it. I'm just interested in what you would spend that on.

If you've only been here on holiday, you might find it's a lot cheaper to stay here long term.

Yes, lived there from the ripe old age of 21 through 27. Ive been in the dunes coming up 5 years now and will return as soon as.....

I can't really break it down mate - its not an exact science. I have a house in Thailand so the 100K would go on living expenses, sanook, travel and all that. Really, 20K GBP is not much if you fancy getting a plane for an overseas holiday or a local jolly. I spend much more than that when I'm on a month long jolly to Thailand nowadays....

I'd go with MrBojangle's 150K but that's just out of my range just now.

Edited by Desertexile

I can't really break it down mate - its not an exact science. I have a house in Thailand so the 100K would go on living expenses, sanook, travel and all that. Really, 20K GBP is not much if you fancy getting a plane for an overseas holiday or a local jolly. I spend much more than that when I'm on a month long jolly to Thailand nowadays....

I guess you know what the average Thai person gets?

I know many people with families, car and house re-payments etc who have a happy life on 20,000 baht. You need five times that for living expenses - what a jerk.

I know many people with families, car and house re-payments etc who have a happy life on 20,000 baht. You need five times that for living expenses - what a jerk.

A 'Jerk' because I want to live well? Because I want to travel abroard twice a year and provide a comfortable life for my family?

I don't want to live like an average 3rd world family. That's why I work so hard.

Just like you, I too know many Thail families - I too converse well in Thai and understand their thinking. However, buddy, in your attempt to become Thai you have forgotten one major factor. There isn't a Thai in Thaialnd that would consider me a 'jerk' for wanting to maintain a great lifestyle.

Each to there own Neernam - go back to your Kow man gai bud, I fancy a cold beer at the polo club and then a trip down to Samui with my Mrs.

A 'Jerk' because I want to live well? Because I want to travel abroard twice a year and provide a comfortable life for my family?

I don't want to live like an average 3rd world family. That's why I work so hard.

Ah, so this is to support a family. That skews the calculation a bit differently.

Going back to the earlier point, is the HSBC a/c for a fixed term or requiring 3 or 6 months' withdrawal notice?

Just like you, I too know many Thail families - I too converse well in Thai and understand their thinking. However, buddy, in your attempt to become Thai you have forgotten one major factor. There isn't a Thai in Thaialnd that would consider me a 'jerk' for wanting to maintain a great lifestyle.

Each to there own Neernam - go back to your Kow man gai bud, I fancy a cold beer at the polo club and then a trip down to Samui with my Mrs.

Ok, sorry a bit strong maybe.

I don't try to become Thai - the last thing I want.

Have you ever been to the polo club? The beer is very cheap there, as is the food.

Good for you. If you got it spend it. Never mind the envy of others.

Ah, so this is to support a family. That skews the calculation a bit differently.

Going back to the earlier point, is the HSBC a/c for a fixed term or requiring 3 or 6 months' withdrawal notice?

Na, I dont have a family... well, a 5 foot one. It's just the two of us and she has her own ways to make a few quid buying and selling.

The HSBC bonds require a minimum investment time - there is a fee if you break the agreement. However, the interest is paid out monthly. Its justa safe way to make money, that's all and I'm too lazy to look elsewhere just now

Also you need to factor in your age and how much you wish to leave to loved ones.

"Retire now, die broke". Why the need to leave something for the loved ones?

rgds

Those of us with wives younger than ourselves (and I believe I am not the only one here...) certainly do need to make provisions. We may well also need to make provisions for children - whether our own or aquired - who will still be in school/college when we pop our clogs.

Neeranam - glad you straightended up your off the cuff remark (a bit out of character I thought :o ). I know you are a bit wiser than me, but I seem to find little difficulty in spending 4k on the occasional night out, and you don't need too many of those in a month to inflate the 20k budget considerably.

Cheers,

Mike

The Polo Club>? Yes mate, many times. That's why I mentioned it.

BUT on 20K THB a month after the house payments, car payments, bills, education, food etc etc etc I don't imagine your Thai family friends will have much left in their pot of gold to be supping many cold ones or dabbling in the food.

I may be wrong though..... They may live in a box, drive a sinclair C5, use coal and candles, send the nippers to the temple school and eat nam plik - hel_l, they may even be on the next table or the next seat to Samui.

But what do I know?

Anyways, I'm off the Thai embassy to meet the ambassador. We are bringing 500 Thai drivers incountry so they can take an aim at the good life too. I bet they are all jerks. As for the ambassador in his pursute of wealth..... nothing short of being a 'proper jerk' that chap.

Why, as I said it's dirt cheap there. The last meal we had there cost less than 300 baht for 4 of us. Why didn't you say somewhere that is expensive?
Anyways, I'm off the Thai embassy to meet the ambassador. We are bringing 500 Thai drivers incountry so they can take an aim at the good life too. I bet they are all jerks. As for the ambassador in his pursute of wealth..... nothing short of being a 'proper jerk' that chap.

Polo club, Thai ambassador - what a jerk!

Why, as I said it's dirt cheap there. The last meal we had there cost less than 300 baht for 4 of us. Why didn't you say somewhere that is expensive?

Why>? Just cause you have money, doesn't mean you have to eat at the Oriental each day? I like the Polo Club... its a good hangout and my mates are there daily

Polo club, Thai ambassador - what a jerk!

So, anyone other than a bottom feeder is a jerk? If a chap knows how to network and bring people together and make a few bob, he's a jerk? You know what Pal, you smell of jealousy.

I have nothing against you or your 20K, each to their own. I just feel for you that anyone doesnt aim for 3rd world standards is a 1st class jerk. It's a bit sad.

I have nothing against you or your 20K, each to their own. I just feel for you that anyone doesnt aim for 3rd world standards is a 1st class jerk. It's a bit sad.

I wasn't talking about myself - christ I get nearly double that.

Anyways, I better get to bed as the Khon Kaen senator is coming round in the morning at 8.30.

Edited by Neeranam

I wasn't talking about myself.

Anyways, I better get to bed as the Khon Kaen senator is coming round in the morning at 8.30.

Cool, see if she can magic us 500 Isaanis with HGV licenses and I'll cut you and this senator bird into the deal. Always wanted to turn a commy.

100K a month ain't that much if you want to sit in the pub every day, chase ho's, play golf, eat out in restaurants etc.

Having said that, living on 25K a month is possible but it would not be something I would choose for.

"Retire now, die broke". Why the need to leave something for the loved ones?

rgds

Because you love them???

With Desertexile's first post theory, they would get at least the 650.000 pounds (plus house and whatever else that initial fund had provided during the years).

It doesn't sound too bad. Neither does the retired life with 1.200.000 baht per year. You don't need the 100.000 baht per month, every month, to live very well here, but if you want to travel to farangland twice a year, take a couple of holidays around Thailand or nearby, treat a few friends... it all adds up.

Sorry if it sounds snobbish, but I would not want to live in Thailand on 20.000 baht per month, but it all depends on the person, age, experience and values.

:o obsene i hardly think so - its a lot more than most have here but i spend about 100,000 + baht a month and dont live much better than I did in UK - ok i have a wife and child here - no nanny no maid but in UK medical is free here we spend about 100k a year baht and were all pretty healthy - in UK schoold are frree - here we spend about 200k a year on a moderate school (including books etc) - then ccar air con etc etc - yes we live well but hardy obscene - then count things like odd trip back yo UK

:D obscene - i think not