UK spells out Brexit transition demands as pressure mounts on PM May

rooster59

UK spells out Brexit transition demands as pressure mounts on PM May

By Elizabeth Piper

800x800 (4).jpg

Britain's Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union David Davis arrives in Downing Street in London, January 16, 2018. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

TEESPORT, England (Reuters) - Britain wants to benefit from European Union trade deals and have a say over EU laws passed during its transition out of the bloc, Brexit minister David Davis said on Friday, seeking to defuse tension between senior ministers over the interim deal.

Davis set out the government's position on a transition period, looking to offer something for both those who want to keep close ties with the European Union after leaving and those who want a more radical break.

The balancing act, designed to appease both business and Brexiteers, is a taste of things to come for Prime Minister Theresa May, who has been unable to prevent divisions in her party repeatedly spilling out into the open.

On Thursday, finance minister Philip Hammond was rebuked by May's office after saying he hoped Britain would diverge from the EU only "very modestly" after Brexit. He spoke hours before the head of a hardline group of Brexiteer lawmakers urged May to stop accepting negotiating terms set by the EU.

"It’s only by being outside the EU but continuing with the existing structures of rules and regulation that we can meet the requirements for a smooth, orderly and successful exit," Davis said in a speech at Teesport in northeast England.

"The existing international agreements we are party to should continue to apply during this period. They are an important part of the existing EU structure of rules and regulations, to which we will remain a party during the implementation period."

WAY TO RESOLVE CONCERNS

Davis also said there needed to be some mechanism for Britain to query new laws introduced during the transition period, which it would be duty-bound to follow, and that the future jurisdiction of regulators needed to be clarified.

"We will have to find a way, to agree a way, of resolving concerns if laws that are deemed to run contrary to our interests, and we have not had our say," he said.

There is little distance between Britain and the EU to overcome to agree the transitional deal, which will give the two sides time to prepare for the far-reaching impact of the end of more than 40 years of union.

Davis said he expected a political agreement on the transition deal at an EU summit on March 22-23 - a target Brussels is also working towards, with plans for fortnightly rounds of negotiations.

The EU is willing to be flexible on the duration and other terms of a Brexit transition period, which could include letting London sign trade deals, according to a document due to be formally endorsed by EU ministers on Monday.

Davis dismissed a question on whether he could really negotiate for Britain if senior members of the cabinet disagreed about what the transition deal should contain:

"There is no difference between the chancellor and myself and indeed the prime minister in terms of that we both want a Brexit which serves the British economy and serves the British people," he said.

But May, who gambled on a snap election last year that cost her party its majority in parliament, is facing pressure from multiple angles: pro-EU lawmakers, hardline Brexiteers, and another contingent who question her leadership credentials and criticise a "dull dull dull" domestic agenda.

LETTERS OF NO CONFIDENCE

Several newspaper reports have said the number of letters expressing 'No Confidence' in the party leader is approaching the threshold of 48 required to trigger a leadership contest. The actual number is not made public by the party committee that holds them.

May is aware that the plan to change little of the current relationship immediately after Britain formally leaves on March 29, 2019, is fuelling anger among Brexit campaigners, who fear their mantra of "taking back control" is being sold out.

Jacob Rees-Mogg, who heads a hardline group of pro-Brexit Conservative lawmakers that could have enough members to topple May, has said Britain must stop accepting negotiating terms set by the EU and that current transition plans would render it a "vassal state".

The febrile mood in the party is likely to linger; May has had to struggle to keep her lawmakers united over everything from transition to the future relationship to the so-called Brexit dividend - the funds that will be freed up when Britain stops paying into EU coffers.

But Davis said the prospect of an independent trade policy was worth waiting for.

"We must keep sight of the fact that this is a bridge to a new future partnership," he said.

"... where, crucially, the United Kingdom is outside of the single market, and outside of the customs union; where the United Kingdom courts are sovereign once more; and where the United Kingdom can take advantage of its status as an independent trading nation."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-27

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

On Thursday, finance minister Philip Hammond was rebuked by May's office after saying he hoped Britain would diverge from the EU only "very modestly" after Brexit. He spoke hours before the head of a hardline group of Brexiteer lawmakers urged May to stop accepting negotiating terms set by the EU.

The sooner Hammond goes the better. People voted out.so get on with it and do the job properly. Hammond the Europhile is like a bad apple and will continue to be until he is thrown away.

35 minutes ago, the guest said:

The EU already have stated the terms, now the UK has to comply. Surely simple enough for even a 5-year-old to understand.

that is were you are wrong, the UK doesn't have to comply with anything, in March 2019 we are leaving the EU, there is no need for any further talking, if the UK decided it didn't like the terms for talks they could simply walk away leaving a message, come back to the table when you want to talk about trade and customs without all the nonsense 

4 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The sooner Hammond goes the better. People voted out.so get on with it and do the job properly. Hammond the Europhile is like a bad apple and will continue to be until he is thrown away.

The people didn't vote out, a super majority was never achieved - a global standard in constitutional changes. It was a mere 32% of the electorate that voted to leave. A fact that brainwashed  Brexiteers all too readily choose to ignore!

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Agree entirely that it's ridiculous the way UK politicians immediately accepted 'negotiating terms set by the EU'..... :shock1:

17 minutes ago, ckerr83 said:

The people didn't vote out, a super majority was never achieved - a global standard in constitutional changes. It was a mere 32% of the electorate that voted to leave. A fact that brainwashed  Brexiteers all too readily choose to ignore!

and people who voted remain (the minority) are they brainwashed too or have you another description for them.

I supported leave for these reasons

- I don't like the undemocratic direction the EU is heading, the original "Common Market" concept was fine

- British Sovereignty being eroded to Brussels (Germany)

- Immigration - people coming to the UK from western Europe to take advantage of the UK and its generous benefits including the health system - it has just got out of control and is unsustainable 

- Germany being the only country in the EU that is actually thriving - just why is that ????

- Germany, yes I mentioned Germany three times - I wonder why

The EU is heading down the (deleted) 

Better to get out and have responsibility for our own law economics and destiny rather than have it dictated and have our hands tied

I know people that supported remain and after seeing the treatment of certain divisive elements (showing their true colours) in Brussels would now vote leave

21 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Agree entirely that it's ridiculous the way UK politicians immediately accepted 'negotiating terms set by the EU'..... :shock1:

I'm not sure that what we see hear and read is a true reflection of what is going on

I would like to see Hammond replaced and also like to see the very smart capable and competent Jacob Rees Mogg  with a place in the Cabinet and directly involved with Brexit, David Davies is unconvincing and I'm on the fence with T May leaning on - I would prefer she was replaced possibly by Rees Mogg

1 hour ago, smedly said:

and people who voted remain (the minority) are they brainwashed too or have you another description for them.

I supported leave for these reasons

- I don't like the undemocratic direction the EU is heading, the original "Common Market" concept was fine

- British Sovereignty being eroded to Brussels (Germany)

- Immigration - people coming to the UK from western Europe to take advantage of the UK and its generous benefits including the health system - it has just got out of control and is unsustainable 

- Germany being the only country in the EU that is actually thriving - just why is that ????

- Germany, yes I mentioned Germany three times - I wonder why

The EU is heading down the (deleted) 

Better to get out and have responsibility for our own law economics and destiny rather than have it dictated and have our hands tied

I know people that supported remain and after seeing the treatment of certain divisive elements (showing their true colours) in Brussels would now vote leave

Clearly a Mail/Express/Sun reader, who needs facts when tabloid propaganda will do!!

19 minutes ago, ckerr83 said:

Clearly a Mail/Express/Sun reader, who needs facts when tabloid propaganda will do!!

I don't read any papers I see what I see and come to my own conclusions, I also support those that see what I see, I know 100% I'd have left the room laughing after a meeting with Barnier Junker and Tusk and left  them a note with my number on it saying  - call me when you  want to have a sensible discussion 

T May is starting to look like she has been working to a hidden agenda to sabotage brexit, I hope I'm wrong, I agree with a transition period but I do not agree with the terms

Brexit reminds me of downloading a movie from a torrent site; 1 Seed, and 27 ****in leeches!

About time the EU stopped being so ungrateful for being liberated, and accept the fact that the golden goose has retired from egg-laying.

If May had a pair of balls, I'd shove them where the sun doesn't shine!  She's as much use as a chocolate fireguard!

Tomorrow, Sunday the 28th, would be an excellent day for the UK to unload the crap it's co!lected over the years, and start as the majority of the voting population requested.

If there's nobody available to deliver that message to Brussels, let me know; I've got a few days spare.

Edited by Moti24

3 hours ago, ckerr83 said:

More to the point the people who voted leave did so based on lies, lies that have now been exposed but still they choose to stick with result.

Anyway we have been here many times before and still there is no progress.  Brexit is slowly being shown to be unworkable, at least unworkable to get a positive deal for Britain.  Davis continues to soften his approach to the point of giving himself a get out clause or two.  Will it be a two year transition period or maybe three?  His speech yesterday had so many holes in it they should call it a colander!

49 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

Brexit reminds me of downloading a movie from a torrent site; 1 Seed, and 27 ****in leeches!

About time the EU stopped being so ungrateful for being liberated, and accept the fact that the golden goose has retired from egg-laying.

If May had a pair of balls, I'd shove them where the sun doesn't shine!  She's as much use as a chocolate fireguard!

Tomorrow, Sunday the 28th, would be an excellent day for the UK to unload the crap it's co!lected over the years, and start as the majority of the voting population requested.

If there's nobody available to deliver that message to Brussels, let me know; I've got a few days spare.

I rest my case, The average brexiteer is completely unaware of the facts, what a load of nonsense!! 

3 hours ago, ckerr83 said:

super majority was never needed, just a majority which said OUT. Most UK goverments are never elected by a majority of the eligible voters, that is not the system in place.

7 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

More to the point the people who voted leave did so based on lies, lies that have now been exposed but still they choose to stick with result.

what lies ???????

may I "again" draw your attention to the fact ............................................. We are Still in the EU, brexit hasn't happened yet........................did you actually know that or are you just ignoring the FACT

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

super majority was never needed, just a majority which said OUT. Most UK goverments are never elected by a majority of the eligible voters, that is not the system in place.

correct but again some people have difficulty understanding what a turnout is, in fact the turnout for the referendum was big when compared to general elections

Just now, Orton Rd said:

Again, blissfully unaware of the facts. The reason a super majority isn't required for a general election is because it is revisited every 4 years. Constitutional changes may never be revisited and, as such, almost always require a super majority. The reason this was never clarified prior to the referendum was because it was advisory only.

I rest my case, The intelligent brexiteer is completely aware of the facts, what a load of nonsense the remainers continue to scare monger due to losing.

HTH

I thought DD speech was fair but that’s it.

PMTM will rid Hammond at her earliest opportunity, during the Brexit talks isn’t the time, however TM knows she’s on borrowed time as nobody else wants the job.

JRM (despite hysteria over his personal comments) would be the ideal replacement seeing as DD has ruled himself out.

Time for the anti Brexit mafia to get a grip, and be united.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, ckerr83 said:

I rest my case, The average brexiteer is completely unaware of the facts, what a load of nonsense!! 

Tell that to the 20 million people who couldn't be bothered to get off their backsides and vote!  

You say you voted to leave; are you having second thoughts?

The majority of the voting electorate has spoken - So let's get-on with it!

22 minutes ago, ckerr83 said:

Again, blissfully unaware of the facts. The reason a super majority isn't required for a general election is because it is revisited every 4 years. Constitutional changes may never be revisited and, as such, almost always require a super majority. The reason this was never clarified prior to the referendum was because it was advisory only.

Nothing on the referendum papers about being advisory.

govt-eu-leaflet-promise.jpg

2 hours ago, smedly said:

what lies ???????

may I "again" draw your attention to the fact ............................................. We are Still in the EU, brexit hasn't happened yet........................did you actually know that or are you just ignoring the FACT

Why would I think we are not still in the EU?   As for the lies, really?  How many times but hey! let's look at where we are.  Do you think that Brexit is going to plan?  Do you think that what the leave gang said in their campaign is coming to fruition?  Do you think that the EU are desperate to seal a trade deal with the UK as Johnson and the boys said they would?  Do you think that paying a "starting" fee of £40 billion to leave is what we were told by the Brexit campaigners, because that is certainly what Cameron said.  

2 hours ago, citybiker said:

Time for the anti Brexit mafia to get a grip, and be united.

I think you will find we have got a grip and are united in the fact that Brexit is a terrible mistake.  Maybe time for the Brexiteers to accept that you are not going to get the Brexit you voted for.

And we will keep going backwards and forwards over this for the foreseeable future.  I want to be wrong over Brexit, I really do.  I also think that a completely watered down Brexit would be a disaster too.  To end up with no meaningful change and no seat at the table would be a double whammy of failures.

So surely the correct thing to do would be for the negotiators to agree the deal for Brexit and then put it to the house or better still, the people.  Then either go with it or scrap Brexit completely.  That is not a second referendum, just a chance for all of the people to vote on the FACTS!

I think you will find we have got a grip and are united in the fact that Brexit is a terrible mistake.  Maybe time for the Brexiteers to accept that you are not going to get the Brexit you voted for.

And we will keep going backwards and forwards over this for the foreseeable future.  I want to be wrong over Brexit, I really do.  I also think that a completely watered down Brexit would be a disaster too.  To end up with no meaningful change and no seat at the table would be a double whammy of failures.

So surely the correct thing to do would be for the negotiators to agree the deal for Brexit and then put it to the house or better still, the people.  Then either go with it or scrap Brexit completely.  That is not a second referendum, just a chance for all of the people to vote on the FACTS!

In parts we’ll agree to disagree, i don’t believe it’s a mistake & a watered down Brexit is as much a possibility as a hard Brexit is, both a media driven including political point scoring from mainly the EU to deter others, and until the negotiations are complete I’ll await anything further.

Remainer’s, including Hammond etc are still angry, annoyed and frustrated as the Brexit process isn’t a walk in the park, which leaving was never going to be easy.

Leavers, depending on individual’s POV about why they voted to leave, however leavers must understand, and most I know do, are aware of the complexity of leaving a 40+yr arrangement, patience is key along with a level head, I do wish JRM would join DD on the Brexit team in Brussels however that’s not going to happen so DD will battle with Barnier.

Lastly and overall, neither side are going to be completely happy and content either way, Brexit won’t be scrapped either that’s for sure.

6 minutes ago, citybiker said:

In parts we’ll agree to disagree, i don’t believe it’s a mistake & a watered down Brexit is as much a possibility as a hard Brexit is, both a media driven including political point scoring from mainly the EU to deter others, and until the negotiations are complete I’ll await anything further.

Remainer’s, including Hammond etc are still angry, annoyed and frustrated as the Brexit process isn’t a walk in the park, which leaving was never going to be easy.

Leavers, depending on individual’s POV about why they voted to leave, however leavers must understand, and most I know do, are aware of the complexity of leaving a 40+yr arrangement, patience is key along with a level head, I do wish JRM would join DD on the Brexit team in Brussels however that’s not going to happen so DD will battle with Barnier.

Lastly and overall, neither side are going to be completely happy and content either way, Brexit won’t be scrapped either that’s for sure.

You may be right but only time will tell.  I also think many leave voters saw that this was going to be difficult and very complex.  What annoys me most are the people who just keep saying that we should just walk away.  Only the very naïve would think that would be an option.  You cannot afford knee jerk politicians like Johnson getting involved, way too complicated for him. I am afraid JRM is everything I hate about politicians, a self interested dinosaur in my opinion. 

You may be right but only time will tell.  I also think many leave voters saw that this was going to be difficult and very complex.  What annoys me most are the people who just keep saying that we should just walk away.  Only the very naïve would think that would be an option.  You cannot afford knee jerk politicians like Johnson getting involved, way too complicated for him. I am afraid JRM is everything I hate about politicians, a self interested dinosaur in my opinion. 

I’m no big fan of Boris and agree his knee jerking comments are unhelpful, he’s an intelligent man but sometimes words fail me with him, likewise I’m also aware how disliked JRM is too.

Walking away would be an extreme last resort IMO & I don’t think either sides will go down that road, besides business lobbies from both sides will ensure both the EU & UK will form some kind of bespoke deal, even though I don’t trust Macron he says a bespoke deal can be achieved.

Another problem is PMTM successor once Brexit negotiations are complete is another scary thought, however the primary focus is ensuring Brexit is dealt with so the future generation can benefit and some form of pragmatic working relationship between the U.K./EU can continue, I suspect & hope an original blueprint may surface but we’ll just wait and see.