A family's grief as man crushed to death by his own car while doing repairs

webfact

1 hour ago, Paul Collins said:

Brake lines aren't and never have been rubber, Years ago they were often copper, nowadays various alloys but most commonly stainless steel

There is a difference between brakelines and brake hoses,the latter have a rubber protection on the outside and this rubber can dry out and crack.Still have steel on the inside and failure is almost never acute,

11 hours ago, InnerCynic said:

In all the many decades of driving I've never had to replace any brake lines due to failure.  If anything I'd say the bigger cause of failure would be worn brake pads and lines not bled properly of air.  Possibly faulty brake cylinder in which case you needn't scurry around underneath to find that out.  I've changed many sets in my own garage and always used ramps, chocks, floorjack, etc.  because I'm allergic to this thing called "death".  Being pancaked to the floor by an automobile would be no fun.  Having my family find me thusly would be unacceptable.

Then you didn't drive enough mate.

I had to replace loads of brakehoses because in Europe that's what the inspectors check for yearly. If they see only 1 small crack in a brakehose the car will NOT pass inspection and can't be driven anymore legally.

And i had oldtimers where every rubber part was broken since rubber doesn't last that long.

7 hours ago, Paul Collins said:

Brake lines aren't and never have been rubber, Years ago they were often copper, nowadays various alloys but most commonly stainless steel

And there he is, our TV-expert who obviously never has seen how the brakecilinders are powered. Well done mate! You won the Darwin award.

Why would it be that in Europe the inspectors especially focus on the brakehoses for cracks...??? Oh never mind, will rather talk to my dog.

22 hours ago, Thian said:

He was inspecting the rubber breaklines [sic] for cracks, Thai do that several times a year because the UV-rays can damage them easy resulting in breaks [sic] failing to work when you need them the most.

Nah - it's brains failing to work not brakes. :coffee1:

On 29 January 2018 at 4:54 PM, MrPatrickThai said:

I was always told never to speak ill of the dead. By the way, most Thais are Buddhist and are incarnated, so your poor attempt at compassion, RIP, makes no sense.

RIP stands, even if he were reincarnated then the old body is still gone and can RIP. Why were you told not to speak ill of the dead if they are incarnated...makes no  more sense that saying RIP. 

On 1/30/2018 at 9:55 AM, Thian said:

And there he is, our TV-expert who obviously never has seen how the brakecilinders are powered. Well done mate! You won the Darwin award.

Why would it be that in Europe the inspectors especially focus on the brakehoses for cracks...??? Oh never mind, will rather talk to my dog.

I'm not sure if you post on here to purposely make a dick of yourself or if it's accidental.

Firstly it's brake "cylinder" not cilinder. Secondly brake "lines", brake "pipes" and break "hoses" are merely terms to describe how hydraulic fluid is transferred from the master cylinder to the individual slave cylinders. ALL brake lines, pipes and hoses are metallic. 

As far as talking to your dog goes, that sounds like a good idea, it's probably knows a lot more about mechanical systems than you, you may learn something.

8 minutes ago, Paul Collins said:

I'm not sure if you post on here to purposely make a dick of yourself or if it's accidental.

Firstly it's brake "cylinder" not cilinder. Secondly brake "lines", brake "pipes" and break "hoses" are merely terms to describe how hydraulic fluid is transferred from the master cylinder to the individual slave cylinders. ALL brake lines, pipes and hoses are metallic. 

As far as talking to your dog goes, that sounds like a good idea, it's probably knows a lot more about mechanical systems than you, you may learn something.

So help me out here, if the "brake hoses" are metallic, why don't they snap when you turn the steering wheel. I think there is a clue in the name 'hoses'

A brake hose is the flexible part of a cars braking system which transmits pressurised fluid to a cars brake cylinder or caliper piston to actuate the brake shoes or pads. The outer covering of this hose is rubber being protection of a woven metal inner sleeve which surrounds an inner rubber tube which contains brake fluid in either a non pressurised or pressurised state.

After all that it’s the first thing to check for a vehicle roadworthy and if I find cracks in the outer layer YOU FAIL . 

Edited by PJPom
Addition...piston