PHOTOS: Qatar Airways’ first direct non-stop flight between Doha - Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

7 hours ago, Mattd said:

Absolutely, when I go to visit the UK, then it is to Manchester, so a direct flight to LHR doesn't appeal or work that well, much rather fly via DOH, AUH or DXB to MAN, breaks a long flight in to two medium ones and the connections times are usually OK.

Unfortunately the location of my house means that there isn't a huge difference in time to travel either UTP or BKK.

Two 7 hour flights gives you 2 x 3 hours kip. Direct gives you at least 7. Last time I went thru Abu Dhabi on Etihad, we had to go thru security check between flights, and prove we were MAN CITY supporters!

12 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Just checked from May/September return flights LHR-UTP. Return flights are cheap but 13-hour layovers?!?!? Not a chance. Total flight durations run 27 hours, 

there are connection with short stop overs, maybe too expensive for your dates

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

When was that? They get very good reviews these days.

About five years ago, return BLK/LHR.

I usually go with Thai. Last time we went with Turkish with a short stopover in Istanbul. One of the Turkish flights was really horrendous thanks to a large family with obnoxious feral kids, on the way back it was fine.

GBP 572 on checkfelix via EVA Air  = BHT 25292. = 650 Euro.
Cheapest fare i found on checkfelix is ~1200 eur for bkk-lhr-bkk next month
There is no fare for 650 eur for a return flight from and to BKK
You compare a return flight on QR with a one way ticket in EVA.
If yu find a flight bkk-lhr-bkk on EVA next month show the details. Otherwise i will show yu what i found on checkfelix.
And again: i am talking about a return flight, not a one way ticket

9 hours ago, wgdanson said:

A FORTUNE?

Yes, a fortune, at least 100 baht each way isn't it. And add using less fuel!

Actually I took a look at their prices for a flight yesterday and I can do better from Bangkok.

11 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Two 7 hour flights gives you 2 x 3 hours kip. Direct gives you at least 7. Last time I went thru Abu Dhabi on Etihad, we had to go thru security check between flights, and prove we were MAN CITY supporters!

This is all down to personal preference, I've been lucky over the past 15 odd years, as all of my UK flights were on business class, even then the chances of me getting 3 hours sleep are virtually none, been flying most of my working life, yet still never managed the fine art of getting a good sleep on a plane.

AUH airport is not really different to any other transit hub, don't know of many that you do not go through security checks between flights, flown EY loads of times, luckily have yet to prove I'm a Man City supporter, thank god!

The cheapest fare that can be found from EVA for BKK-LHR-BKK end of text month is this (42K THB, on EVA Homepage):

eva9cot7.jpg

I dont know, where the previous poster found an offer for ~25K THB for a return filight BKK-LHR-BKK on EVA in economy.

Edited by Crisu

1 hour ago, Crisu said:

The cheapest fare that can be found from EVA for BKK-LHR-BKK end of text month is this (42K THB, on EVA Homepage):

eva9cot7.jpg

I dont know, where the previous poster found an offer for ~25K THB for a return filight BKK-LHR-BKK on EVA in economy.

EVA.PNG

2 hours ago, Crisu said:

One-way flights are always more expensive  on direct flights because it means for the airline the seat is empty on a flight returning which usually doesn't get filled.

For example : 

BRU-BKK one way with Thai airways costs 387 €, BKK-BRU one way comes down to 609 €

BRU-BKK-BRU return flight is 628€ (for the same flight dates)

Note : BKK-BRU-BKK = +- 962€ return flight.

Edited by Bastos60

15 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Actually I took a look at their prices for a flight yesterday and I can do better from Bangkok.

So don't forget to factor in the extra Bht 200 for tolls, and 80km each way extra fuel.

17 hours ago, wgdanson said:

So don't forget to factor in the extra Bht 200 for tolls, and 80km each way extra fuel.

I was looking at a Biz class, so in reality quite trivial.

The timings to UK aren't good for me too, arriving in the evening.

15 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

Instead, why don't you give us your expert explanation.

Are you saying that everyone who flies one-way will create an empty seat on a return flight, be it one week, one month or a year later. What about the passengers who fly one-way, but the other way round? I am not an expert, just a logical thinker.

Edited by wgdanson

On 1/31/2018 at 6:01 AM, jacko45k said:

why not take the jomtien bus and avoid the tolls?  Is there a similar convenient bus to Utapao?

Edited by norrska

4 hours ago, norrska said:

why not take the jomtien bus and avoid the tolls?  Is there a similar convenient bus to Utapao?

Jomtiem is far from where I stay, but I agree, if you live in the area, a good service and a bargain.

Even the Bell  bus requires me to go 10km in the wrong direction,

UTapao, I think only Air Asia supply transport from Pattaya, so will be geared to their flights.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:29 AM, wgdanson said:

Are you saying that everyone who flies one-way will create an empty seat on a return flight, be it one week, one month or a year later. What about the passengers who fly one-way, but the other way round? I am not an expert, just a logical thinker.

These airlines need to fill seats, even though they are just scheduled flights.  You are forgetting where these flights come from, there is still far less business for one-way trips from Thailand to Europe then there is from Europe to Thailand, that is the logic you clearly are missing. I have given examples to show that even one-way flights from Thailand to Europe are even more expensive than one-way fares from Europe to Thailand. 

A one-way flight does not automatically mean a filled seat on the return flight and it doesn't matter if it is one year later. All these cheap return flights have one particular condition, you have to return within 30 days, at least it is for all the airlines I have flown with in Europe.

Not such a logical thinker imo.

On 2/3/2018 at 8:40 AM, jacko45k said:

Jomtiem is far from where I stay, but I agree, if you live in the area, a good service and a bargain.

Even the Bell  bus requires me to go 10km in the wrong direction,

UTapao, I think only Air Asia supply transport from Pattaya, so will be geared to their flights.

on facebook link that was posted in an earlier message I found this picture, it looks like there will be mini-buses available.
But again, that looked more like a staged photo.

Has anyone here flown yet with Qatar to Utapao airport?

utp_airport.PNG

Edited by Bastos60

Booked Business Class return to LHR for the end of next month for 1400GBP with a flexi on the return doubling the price. Still a bargain to the 3200GBP I paid for my mother last month. Don't think they have a Business lounge in Utapao though!!

On 1/29/2018 at 9:01 AM, Dario said:

Great! And Qatar is a good airline with very competitive air fares.

Just a pity that for the price I have a layover in Doha of up to 28 hours for flights to Utapao even though there are daily flights from the airport I fly from.