"Breaking news": Thais filmed actually picking up litter!

webfact

"Breaking news": Thais filmed actually picking up litter!

5pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

It is official - some Thais actually do care about their environment.

So much so they are prepared to do the almost unthinkable - bend down and pick up litter in a public place.

Litter that does not even belong to them.

Yes, this happened yesterday, in Korat, Thaivisa can confirm.

The scene was filmed by an eagle-eyed reporter on the road leading to the scenic dam area of Lamtakhong in Pak Chong.

561000000972208.JPEG

Picture: Manager Online

Manager said that social media was in raptures as thousands viewed the public spirited-ness of several Thai women on motorbikes, no less, collecting trash that had been tossed by the roadside on the way to the dam.

One had even brought along their little daughter suggesting that the child may learn good habits for tomorrow's Thailand.

Reporter "Korakot Buaphim" posted on Facebook saying he went there to admire the view - but ended up taking pictures of the ladies doing their bit for a cleaner kingdom instead.

That was much more beautiful, he gushed enthusiastically!

A Thai man with a pick-up was also seen helping out too.

Korakot said that the dam was closed in the past because of fly-tipping but now it was open for tourism and for people to enjoy.

Manager took the opportunity to promote the area for a visit after saying that the world of social media was wowed.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-30

Great that it is getting a lot of attention on Social media. All that needs to happen now, is those praising the litter collecting, to get up and go and do some more of the same themselves. I somehow suspect we are some way off that happening though.

Whether you believe it or not sometimes it does happen.

Where I Iive outside a small country town close to the local clinic, a walking park, adjacent cycle lane, keep fit area, football area and tennis courts, toilets, were built.  Some water areas and a pond that receives ( I am sure ) clurry from an adjacent pig farm where fish do swim.    The whole park area was built on marsh land giving off an aroma of marsh gas, even in the Winter season when some areas have dried up.    A lot of "extra expense" included in the park, would you believe a sprinkler system !   Just basic standard and poorly maintained.    

A group of keep fit to music ladies use the park twice daily.

Local cows / cattle "gain access" if the gates are not locked, especially when there is grass.

At night children do use the park, people do come after work for exercise.

As for rubbish, despite there being a few waste bins most is thrown everywhere, as usual, unfortunately including glue sniffing paraphernalia.    The only collected items daily are the empty water bottles.

Following a stroke I started to use the park everyday instead of my normal 3Km walk to town.

I got fed up seeing the rubbish everywhere in the park, bought some giant tongs for 20 baht and went round weekly picking up rubbish ( good bending exercise ).   Each weekly clean up I collected 3 large bags of rubbish.   I was even helped a couple of times by some of the ladies.    However the park quickly became littered between weekly clean ups.

I had to stop walking for 3 months following a foot infection.    When I started my visits to the park again I was astounded to see hardly any rubbish anywhere.   After a week of walking its still tidy, no idea who or when its being tided up but great to see.    As for the glue sniffers they are still going to the park and on the common land nearby; have advised local clinic who were unaware of the problem. 

Will start a weekly clean up again next month.

I've been with my missus for 10 years. She's been pretty good about this kind of stuff from the beginning. As we've been together longer, we both learn from each other. I made her more conscious of a clean environment and reusing canvas bags, etc. Now she's overtaken me. She is more conscious about this kinda stuff than I am. She seems to take great pleasure in being more responsible and wanting a clean environment. 

It's all about education. 

I've been with my missus for 10 years. She's been pretty good about this kind of stuff from the beginning. As we've been together longer, we both learn from each other. I made her more conscious of a clean environment and reusing canvas bags, etc. Now she's overtaken me. She is more conscious about this kinda stuff than I am. She seems to take great pleasure in being more responsible and wanting a clean environment. 

It's all about education. 

My wife recycles to “safe the world” which means giving our plastic,cardboard and broken metal items to the older aunts and uncles so they can get a few baht. I’m pretty sure she means save.

When I do some cleaning, picking up garbage in our gated community my wife is scolding me.

She says, there is a lady who gets paid for keeping our area clean.

My answer is: She isn't doing a good job and for me it is exercise, not work and I rather enjoy a clean environment then seeing rubbish in our streets.

Recently I saw a Thai neighbour sweeping the area where our garbage containers are.

He is a military men. A friendly guy. Can you believe ?

The thing that struck me first was the fact they were wearing crash helmets, as much to hide their identity as to protect their heads. They are to be commended and hopefully more people will follow suit and care for their neighborhood and environment.

I know in the article it says, "Korakot said that the dam was closed in the past because of fly-tipping but now it was open for tourism and for people to enjoy."

I wonder if this is the sole reason for the locals making an effort to keep it clean? It doesn't actually state clearly  if this is why.

It's great to see people picking up litter in Thailand. Quite a rarity, but definitely something to be encouraged.

I have witnessed Thais disposing of as well as clearing waste on the rare occasion, but in general, waste and filth is very apparent.

I used to work at a state school, students would treat the classrooms, corridors, in-fact the school in general, as a waste tipping site. The school was filthy!

For a nation of people either glued to a mirror or camera, (taking a selfie), to be so untidy, is something I find difficult to understand.

22 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

For a nation of people either glued to a mirror or camera, (taking a selfie), to be so untidy, is something I find difficult to understand.

As I've said in other threads' I find it difficult as well 

" Standing on verandah I see the teenagers next door go to get in the car & notice rubbish on the floor. So they just chuck it in the middle of the rd knowing there is a bin next to the drivers door "

I bet there's money to be made out of it, maybe they pick only cardboard and cans.?..And there are many more people cleaning there, i think they do it for youtube and will get money if their channel got many hits. Next time they will wear tshirts from a sponsor so he also will pay them.

5 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

As I've said in other threads' I find it difficult as well 

" Standing on verandah I see the teenagers next door go to get in the car & notice rubbish on the floor. So they just chuck it in the middle of the rd knowing there is a bin next to the drivers door "

That's a slippery slope we could be going down...

Lack of education about taking a pride in your country...lack of responsibility for your own actions...I think I'd better stop now.

Who cares what the motivation is...if they are picking up litter.

I've seen middle aged farang in their own countries doing exactly the same because they are too lazy to walk 2 metres to the municipal bin on the side walk.

10 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Whether you believe it or not sometimes it does happen.

Where I Iive outside a small country town close to the local clinic, a walking park, adjacent cycle lane, keep fit area, football area and tennis courts, toilets, were built.  Some water areas and a pond that receives ( I am sure ) clurry from an adjacent pig farm where fish do swim.    The whole park area was built on marsh land giving off an aroma of marsh gas, even in the Winter season when some areas have dried up.    A lot of "extra expense" included in the park, would you believe a sprinkler system !   Just basic standard and poorly maintained.    

A group of keep fit to music ladies use the park twice daily.

Local cows / cattle "gain access" if the gates are not locked, especially when there is grass.

At night children do use the park, people do come after work for exercise.

As for rubbish, despite there being a few waste bins most is thrown everywhere, as usual, unfortunately including glue sniffing paraphernalia.    The only collected items daily are the empty water bottles.

Following a stroke I started to use the park everyday instead of my normal 3Km walk to town.

I got fed up seeing the rubbish everywhere in the park, bought some giant tongs for 20 baht and went round weekly picking up rubbish ( good bending exercise ).   Each weekly clean up I collected 3 large bags of rubbish.   I was even helped a couple of times by some of the ladies.    However the park quickly became littered between weekly clean ups.

I had to stop walking for 3 months following a foot infection.    When I started my visits to the park again I was astounded to see hardly any rubbish anywhere.   After a week of walking its still tidy, no idea who or when its being tided up but great to see.    As for the glue sniffers they are still going to the park and on the common land nearby; have advised local clinic who were unaware of the problem. 

Will start a weekly clean up again next month.

Be careful it is Thai work and meaby you don't have working visa I remember a farang there cleaning the street for dirt he get arrested