Planning to visit Pattaya in a few days - what to see?

laislica

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arrives safely in Pattaya by 09:30.
Went to the gardens.
IMG_9893.JPG
They were veer well done, (better than Chiang Mai, but in a different way).
Entrance fee Thai 159 baht and faring 500baht.
They did accept my Thai DL and I got in for 150 but my friend, married to a Thai 23 years, 500!

Then to the floating market.
Thai free, all faring 200baht, no exceptions.
IMG_9983.JPG
So it must be a bar for the evening lol

Temple of Truth

The big cliff with the carved outline of a Buddha ( can't remember the name, but any travel agent will set you right ) I also went to the winery on that tour.

The aquarium isn't too bad

Water park if you like that sort of thing.

take the train to Sattahip and white songtheaw back for a cheap day out.

Nong Nooch for sure.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Temple of Truth

The big cliff with the carved outline of a Buddha ( can't remember the name, but any travel agent will set you right ) I also went to the winery on that tour.

The aquarium isn't too bad

Water park if you like that sort of thing.

take the train to Sattahip and white songtheaw back for a cheap day out.

Nong Nooch for sure.

Are you thinking of buddha mountain, it's actually made from gold, this one?

images (44).jpg

We are in a German restaurant, then a stroll and I was surprised how empty the bars were, Sunday evening too.
Ok, we stopped at an open air cocktail place and did a spot of people watching.
Then to a small bar next to our hotel and drank jagermeister, many and had a lots of fun.
This morning to the beach!

On 05/02/2018 at 11:30 AM, laislica said:

We are in a German restaurant, then a stroll and I was surprised how empty the bars were, Sunday evening too.
Ok, we stopped at an open air cocktail place and did a spot of people watching.
Then to a small bar next to our hotel and drank jagermeister, many and had a lots of fun.
This morning to the beach!

Pic taken from under the Pattaya sign

20180206_175534.jpg

Pic taken from under the Pattaya sign
20180206_175534.thumb.jpg.42cd772c308a356332a8405bc7a1a6ba.jpg

We are in the north so we haven’t seen that view, thanks.
The beaches in the north are clean and nice, no floaters.....
Lots of shade from trees, rent deckchairs and tables for 4, only 160 b.
Nice restaurant on the beach we use, excellent food and not expensive, though not huge portions.
Today is my wife’s Birthday, so off to a temple we go.
(She was up at 6, tamboon for the monks in the street).

Last night wi visited Walking street, it was great, quite busy but a fun place. Having seen it once, no need to see it again.
No we didn’t go looking at go go girls lol

5 hours ago, laislica said:

We are in the north so we haven’t seen that view, thanks.
The beaches in the north are clean and nice, no floaters.....
Lots of shade from trees, rent deckchairs and tables for 4, only 160 b.
Nice restaurant on the beach we use, excellent food and not expensive, though not huge portions.
Today is my wife’s Birthday, so off to a temple we go.
(She was up at 6, tamboon for the monks in the street).

Last night wi visited Walking street, it was great, quite busy but a fun place. Having seen it once, no need to see it again.
No we didn’t go looking at go go girls lol

The picture above shows the southern tip of WS. Nearby where this pic was taken from are two famous view points. Well worth a visit. Free and cheap to get to.

Plus the Statue of The Admiral overlooking the Bay. You can walk to WS and to the Pattaya sign from around here. And You can have a meal and a drink here. High up over looking the Bay at sunset or wander through the Pratumnak jungle hill on paved footpath.  On WS at the IBar good bottled beer is 39baht between 8 to 10 overlooking the ocean . Anyway. Have fun. BTW. WS is the kind of place you can visit a 100 times and still not know it. It had excellent street food including Issan Food plus good rock music bars and modest restaurants with hood views and rooftop dining.

It also has a traditional Issan bar where they play Morlam sing too. That is great fun and the nearby Beer garden does good cheap food with ocean views 

20180130_181206.jpg

20180130_181131.jpg

On 2/8/2018 at 1:12 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know to whom you were speaking, but Pattaya is hardly scary, unless running the katoey gauntlet in the early morning.

Biggest risk for most would be tripping in a pothole left in the walkway by people stealing the pavers.

Just the events of the last few days may answer your question.

Here are the ones I heard about, I bet there are many more similar stories too.

An Asian person crossing the road near the hotel we stayed in, hit by a car - dead.

Female passenger on a m/c taxi driving the wrong way on the road at 02:30, hit by a car  - dead.

And yes, I did use a m/c taxi from the beach to hotel and we crossed that very road.....

An Australian killed in a bar fight - no CCTV.

A fight between a bunch of Farang in Walking street....

Fortunately for us, we left on the previous Thursday morning.

7 hours ago, laislica said:

Just the events of the last few days may answer your question.

Here are the ones I heard about, I bet there are many more similar stories too.

An Asian person crossing the road near the hotel we stayed in, hit by a car - dead.

Female passenger on a m/c taxi driving the wrong way on the road at 02:30, hit by a car  - dead.

And yes, I did use a m/c taxi from the beach to hotel and we crossed that very road.....

An Australian killed in a bar fight - no CCTV.

A fight between a bunch of Farang in Walking street....

Fortunately for us, we left on the previous Thursday morning.

And New York London Manchester Madrid Jamaica? South Africa? Thailand is one of the safest cities in the world and Pattaya exceptionally safe. In the UK Acid is now a common weapon.  In the USA shooting murders happen all the time......I could go on but I wont....Its obvious. Sensational headlines never tell the true story.

On 1/30/2018 at 7:09 PM, laislica said:

Thanks for your ideas.

We have visited monkeys, elephants, snakes etc in various other parts of Thailand and I'm afraid that the conditions for the animals were not good so I'd rather not support them with a visit..

I was/am using Google, but it's good to ask for a spot of "insider"  knowledge.

try pattaya tiger park opposite the Floating market ( costs 200 baht to get in)

the tiger park is free and a buffet is 150 baht (quite good value as one can eat as much as one can stomach).

Mimosa is a bit of a dead place nowadays, not worth the money.

Go to the Ambassador shops down the road and big pools to swim in also nice big beach

2 hours ago, The manic said:

And New York London Manchester Madrid Jamaica? South Africa? Thailand is one of the safest cities in the world and Pattaya exceptionally safe. In the UK Acid is now a common weapon.  In the USA shooting murders happen all the time......I could go on but I wont....Its obvious. Sensational headlines never tell the true story.

Good job I left London 18 years ago then eh?

My little spot in Spain is a bit like the UK was over 50 years ago.

In 2014, we had friends visit us from Denmark and we traveled across Andalusia, stopping at hotels along the way and ending up in La Linea when we visited Gibraltar.

They could not believe how safe it was.

We were out having wine or beer withTapas at 2 and 3 am, places were busy and not a single spot of trouble anywhere!

Even having coffee or ice cream.

They said that one could not do the same in Copenhagen.

There were real risks of being attacked and robbed etc. and it didn't feel safe.

Last May, we visited London for a few days but we were out of the city by early evening.

A couple of days after we left the UK to return to Spain, London had that horrific Muslim attack on Westminster Bridge.

In 2015 we spent a week in Paris, we didn't witness any riots but a few days after we returned to Spain, Muslim riots were all over all media.

So, yes I know what you mean, BUT.

I'm used to something much better than the safety record of Thailand or (as my wife used to say) Many where else!.

As examples, where I live in Spain; I can't recall a pedestrian being electrocuted by faulty wiring in the street furniture....

Or a child falling down an uncovered drain and drowning.....

Or a fight starting because "he was looking at me wrong"!

Sure, go to a major tourist area and you will come across some nasty stuff, but not so often as in other countries.

OK, my experiences, we can choose where to live

and then how to live.....

If we play with the Bull, we may get the horns?

This may not suit everyone, there is no "One size fits all"

But it suits my Thai wife and I.

So why am I in Thailand?
To allow my wife to spend time with her lovely (huge) family.

Well I love the exotic fruit n veggies too LOL

Just sayin....

On 1/30/2018 at 7:09 PM, laislica said:

Thanks for your ideas.

We have visited monkeys, elephants, snakes etc in various other parts of Thailand and I'm afraid that the conditions for the animals were not good so I'd rather not support them with a visit..

I was/am using Google, but it's good to ask for a spot of "insider"  knowledge.

Thanks but as I said in reply post 19 ^^^^^, to your previous post.

We were in North Pattaya and the beach was clean and not overcrowded.

Had a beach side restaurant, 90b brekkie etc

Very near our hotel was a 150b buffet brekkie, open 06:30 - 12:30 so we had it all in walking distance.

We tried it once and ate too much of course, well it was very good.

I wouldn't go again, too much temptation to eat too much

You see, I can withstand everything except:
Pain and

Temptation! LOL.....

2 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

the tiger park is free and a buffet is 150 baht (quite good value as one can eat as much as one can stomach).

Go to the Ambassador shops down the road and big pools to swim in also nice big beach

On 07/02/2018 at 8:25 PM, Redcurry said:

Definitely not the beach. Last time I was there it was dirty, crowded and again dirty. Don't know if it has been improved. 

There are a dozen beaches. I live 5 minutes from Cosy Beach. Yim Yam and Dongtan beach look OK but the latter is a tad gay. However, I don't like beaches or the sea. The sea is the sewer of the planet and I don't like the texture of sand.

On 13/02/2018 at 7:52 PM, laislica said:

Good job I left London 18 years ago then eh?

My little spot in Spain is a bit like the UK was over 50 years ago.

In 2014, we had friends visit us from Denmark and we traveled across Andalusia, stopping at hotels along the way and ending up in La Linea when we visited Gibraltar.

They could not believe how safe it was.

We were out having wine or beer withTapas at 2 and 3 am, places were busy and not a single spot of trouble anywhere!

Even having coffee or ice cream.

They said that one could not do the same in Copenhagen.

There were real risks of being attacked and robbed etc. and it didn't feel safe.

Last May, we visited London for a few days but we were out of the city by early evening.

A couple of days after we left the UK to return to Spain, London had that horrific Muslim attack on Westminster Bridge.

In 2015 we spent a week in Paris, we didn't witness any riots but a few days after we returned to Spain, Muslim riots were all over all media.

So, yes I know what you mean, BUT.

I'm used to something much better than the safety record of Thailand or (as my wife used to say) Many where else!.

As examples, where I live in Spain; I can't recall a pedestrian being electrocuted by faulty wiring in the street furniture....

Or a child falling down an uncovered drain and drowning.....

Or a fight starting because "he was looking at me wrong"!

Sure, go to a major tourist area and you will come across some nasty stuff, but not so often as in other countries.

OK, my experiences, we can choose where to live

and then how to live.....

If we play with the Bull, we may get the horns?

This may not suit everyone, there is no "One size fits all"

But it suits my Thai wife and I.

So why am I in Thailand?
To allow my wife to spend time with her lovely (huge) family.

Well I love the exotic fruit n veggies too LOL

Just sayin....

I lived in Spain too. Seville and Madrid. It was notorious for pick pockets, handbag snatching, drug related violence etc. There were used syringes and burnt foil in many places. And not safe to wear jewellery or carry a camera in some areas or at night. My Spanish girl friends and my Portuguese friends were very cautious too. I wonder if you are comparing city life with rural life? Anyway, if you follow sensationalist headlines you create your own fear. In Pattaya no one has been gored to death by a bull or trampelled in a stampede! This happens in Spain but I am not scared. I believe we should base our outlook on our experience not silly headlines but despite the fact you had a good peaceful time in Pattaya  you continue to slag it off. Good riddance. BTW FYI. The 10 baht bus goes from North Pattaya to South Pattaya. It's called travelling. What I get from your post is controlling Thai Wife Syndrome. I don't go on Spanish forums and you have no need to express your views on this forum now you are an expert on Pattaya!

On 2/13/2018 at 5:45 PM, tinca tinca said:

He left 8 Feb.

The very concept of keeping tigers as tourist entertainment should be an anathema for anyone who has evena the slightest consideration for animal welfare, wildlife or conservation.

Virtually every tourist animal attraction in Thailand falls short of the most basic animal welfare codes and practices. I fail to see the good in supporting these pitiful establishments or the wisdom in recommending them.

5 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

The very concept of keeping tigers as tourist entertainment should be an anathema for anyone who has evena the slightest consideration for animal welfare, wildlife or conservation.

Virtually every tourist animal attraction in Thailand falls short of the most basic animal welfare codes and practices. I fail to see the good in supporting these pitiful establishments or the wisdom in recommending them.

Geez, seriously?

At least they are not dead like that pig, cow, duck or chicken everyone is eating.

59 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Geez, seriously?

At least they are not dead like that pig, cow, duck or chicken everyone is eating.

Easily the most facile and cliche'd comment on the thread so far.

You obviously have no understanding of animal welfare and wildlife conservation.

"tigers as tourist entertainment" - Tigers are not domesticated they are either wild or captive.

" pig, cow, duck or chicken" - are domesticated animals that we breed for eating. If you object to that, spell out your objections....however they are seldom used as entertainment and in fact in Thailand covered by the same laws as almost all other animals, which is virtually none.

In reality, chickens used for export to the EU are subject to MORE regulations than the Tigers as the EU imposes farming and diet standards that exporters have to adhere to and regularly inspect their suppliers and test the product. no such luck for the tigers which are bred and cruelly trained to be kept in unnatural surroundings for their entire life....except as no-one wants to look at an old Tiger they are often "retired" to a butchery and bottling plant. 

Just ask yourself, where do these tigers come from and where do they go after they are too old to exhibit.

Archived