Policeman tried to steal my tax disk.

MaeJoMTB

So was driving into town on my m/c this morning and was stopped at the side of Tesco off superhighway.

Hand him my d/l, wants tax disk, hand him my tax disk (not stuck on) and he takes it.

Gives me some lip about not having it stuck on (4 beat cops, no senior staff).

.... then slips the tax disk in his pocket!

So now we're into arguing, "give it back, I don't have it, etc." .... another policeman walks over and says "you have no tax disk for this year".

More arguing .... "it's in his pocket." (other policeman leaves)

Eventually after me standing in his way when he tries to leave, I get my phone out, then he drops the tax disk into my m/c under seat storage.

"Oh look there it was all the time"

So I get a ticket for not having my green book.

BUT

Why would he want to steal my tax disk?

Any ideas?

Corruption is not a word in their vocabulary.... revenue gathering is what it's known as to them.

Over a year ago a decree was give from the top cop in BKK.  All checkpoints were to be legitimate with mandatory signage and also a person of commissioned rank.

I think this decree was followed for about a month in CM, that is after they closed all checkpoints for about a month previous as they pondered over the implications of such a hasty ruling.

Even if you have everything in order (Ducks in a row), quite often they will try other means to get funds from you.  It is a real PINA as these checkpoints do naff all for road safety.

Perhaps some more complaints need to head down to BKK again. About time these boys had a shake up.

Put your tax disk into one of those little plastic tubes and screw it onto the bike. Then cover the screw heads with rubber cement. It will take you and extra five minutes to remove the cement next year to change the paper, but nobody is going to try to steal it, and the police can easily verify that you have it.

2 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Put your tax disk into one of those little plastic tubes and screw it onto the bike. Then cover the screw heads with rubber cement. It will take you and extra five minutes to remove the cement next year to change the paper, but nobody is going to try to steal it, and the police can easily verify that you have it.

I've seen police making people take them out of the tubes to show them.

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I've seen police making people take them out of the tubes to show them.

That would make sense if they rolled them up so that the date was not visible from the outside. Just be careful how you put it in. On mine, one can see the date clearly even while standing up.

Yes those tube thingies work well. Only ever had one snap off but luckily I was able to retrieve it with tax disc intact.

I've met some very nice senior police, however I don't have a lot of time nor respect for those at checkpoints.

Especially some of the dodgy looking ones....but how does one tell the difference?  Maybe it's the vibe they give off or the big giveaway is their attitude when you have every thing in order.

They get right snarky?

15 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

The OP did not have his tax disk(registration?) properly displayed as required by law, is that correct?

No, the policeman pocketed it, then returned it when he saw I wasn't going to let him leave.

No senior policeman was present, as required under current police instructions from BK.

So they stuck me with a 'no book' ticket.

Something no Thai ever has.

4 hours ago, johng said:

So that he could give you a ticket for no tax.

Mine is stuck on in a prominent position and I keep a copy of tax ,insurance and green book under the seat.

Mee too except that the tax disc is a photocopy and the original is in my desk drawer.

5 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

No, the policeman pocketed it, then returned it when he saw I wasn't going to let him leave.

No senior policeman was present, as required under current police instructions from BK.

if the bike/car is on finance they hold the book, so a copy must do

5 hours ago, Dante99 said:

The OP did not have his tax disk(registration?) properly displayed as required by law, is that correct?

5 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I believe what Dante99 was saying is that we are required by law to have the tax sticker displayed on the vehicle. I remember someone else saying they got fined at one of the check stops for having his under the seat and not visible.

Basically, you were in violation of Thai law by not displaying it.

This doesn't, of course, explain why the cop put it in his pocket... but that's another story.

5 hours ago, Dante99 said:

What is the official version, does the tax disc on a key holder attached to the ignition comply?

As long as the tax disc is visible for the BiB, then that's fine.  But it has to be on 'display' not 'hidden' under the seat or in say in your wallet.

Although in your wallet is probably the place they would like to see it...nod nod, wink wink.

It's just one of many checks that these lovely people may do in order to generate revenue.

It appears that the OP got stopped, the police found two violations, ticketed him for one and gave him a brief run around so he accuses them of attempted theft instead of being thankful for not getting ticketed for both violations or worse.

Next time the officer will drop a bag of reds into the under seat storage and have some real fun.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

12 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

It appears that the OP got stopped, the police found two violations, ticketed him for one and gave him a brief run around so he accuses them of attempted theft instead of being thankful for not getting ticketed for both violations or worse.

Next time the officer will drop a bag of reds into the under seat storage and have some real fun.

Appears you have a wild imagination.

If the policeman hadn't taken my tax square, I wouldn't have posted anything.

I don't have to pay fines ........ so that isn't the issue ........ but I don't like people stealing from me.

(I don't break laws either, this was a corrupt police stop, no senior officer)

As for a 'bag of reds', my wife would have taken care of it ...... not a problem (if I'm not shot at the time).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Would it help if I told you they want me to pay the fine at Pra Sing police station (center of all police corruption/music license scams).

And not Chiang Mai Provincial Police Traffic Operational Center, near the market/river where traffic violations are normally paid.

I've also decided to 'ignore' all posters who only want to discuss the locations you should display the Tax badge, as it clearly wasn't an issue with any of the police at the check point and I have little time for Trolls or those with chronic comprehension problems.

(Goodbye, Bill97, Dante99 and Stillhereandlovinit)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

19 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

You were rightfully stuck with a 'no book' ticket.

The law requires you to carry the green book or a copy of it.

On 1/31/2018 at 6:07 AM, happyas said:

You were rightfully stuck with a 'no book' ticket.

The law requires you to carry the green book or a copy of it.

I rather think the main point of this thread is that a Police Officer tried to steal a tax disc which is frankly outrageous. Could anybody imagine a London Police Officer being asked directions by a tourist and whlst they are distracted the Police Officer stealing their wallet. Everybody would be horrifed at the thought but it seems that a lot on here will excuse the Thais for absolutely anything. Quite how the blame in this thread seems to have turned to the OP is beyond me

Edited by Gruff

On 1/31/2018 at 11:59 AM, stillhereandlovinit said:
3 hours ago, Gruff said:

I rather think the main point of this thread is that a Police Officer tried to steal a tax disc which is frankly outrageous. Could anybody imagine a London Police Officer being asked directions by a tourist and whlst they are distracted the Police Officer stealing their wallet. Everybody would be horrifed at the thought but it seems that a lot on here will excuse the Thais for absolutely anything. Quite how the blame in this thread seems to have turned to the OP is beyond me

On 1/31/2018 at 10:49 AM, MaeJoMTB said:(I don't break laws either, )
Edited by happyas
Regardless of what else occurred, he broke the law ans copped a fine.

3 hours ago, Gruff said:

First off, we are not in London , so that is a null and void issue,and illegal  behaviour by the BIB is par for the course by many of them here..

It is generally accepted here by locals and many visitors ,along with the ability to pay cash to lesson the fine.

Take the good with the bad and go with the flow.

You are very unlikely to beat the BIB's at their own game.

IMO the cop was not stealing the tax disc, after all, it is not of much use to anyone else, and to compare that to stealing a wallet is rather overboard,  he was simply removing it from its host vehicle, in order to find a reason to impose a fine..no tax disc!, pay up.

However the guy protested, the cop relented,and so ,in his ongoing quest for funds asked for the greenbook or copy to be produced.

None was produced,and as this was illegal, the guy was fined for the offence.

End of.

Edited by garryjohns

10 hours ago, Gruff said:

I rather think the main point of this thread is that a Police Officer tried to steal a tax disc which is frankly outrageous. 

Yes and anyone who believes that to have happened is quite the fool.

9 hours ago, garryjohns said:

First off, we are not in London , so that is a null and void issue,and illegal  behaviour by the BIB is par for the course by many of them here..

It is generally accepted here by locals and many visitors ,along with the ability to pay cash to lesson the fine.

Take the good with the bad and go with the flow.

You are very unlikely to beat the BIB's at their own game.

IMO the cop was not stealing the tax disc, after all, it is not of much use to anyone else, and to compare that to stealing a wallet is rather overboard,  he was simply removing it from its host vehicle, in order to find a reason to impose a fine..no tax disc!, pay up.

However the guy protested, the cop relented,and so ,in his ongoing quest for funds asked for the greenbook or copy to be produced.

None was produced,and as this was illegal, the guy was fined for the offence.

End of.

Yes that is theft !