When Farangs Go Native

webfact

17 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

How is Thailand our adopted country? I just stay here 90 days at a time, other people stay here 1 year at a time.

Says on my passport 'non-immigrant', why should I learn a language that only 30% of the Thai population speak as a 1st language.

I guess one could argue that I should learn my wife's language, but that language would be Lao, and nobody is offering courses in Lao.

Nonsense - 99% of Thai people can speak Thai.

If you live in Laos, then it would be a good idea to learn your  wife's language. Perhaps even in Isarn, it would be useful but not necessary.

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Also, assuming your wife is Thai, and your son is part-Thai and you plan to live in Thailand for some length of time, how do you communicate with non-English members of your wife's family and social circle, and your son's non-English speaking school and play mates, teachers, etc.?

Why would anyone want to interact with their 'hired helps' relatives?

My 'hired help' does all the school interactions.

My son speaks English. 

• Haha 1

Just now, greatwhitenorth said:

that's the only way this guy has got laid in the last 20 years.  only those are bills and he uses coins

That's the only way I've got laid in my entire life (I did get a couple of free ones when I was 19, but that was an anomaly).

Are you claiming you don't have to pay? (maybe you're not as choosy as me).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

your role as a father. What kind of example are you setting, if you show little interest in learning how to communicate with the non-English speaking people in your environment? What racial and class messages are you sending to your son when you set an example that communication with non-English speaking people isn't of interest to you?

Extremely dangerous psychologically if the son is half-Thai. Basically saying that half of his being is inferior. I've sadly seen negative consequences of this in my friends' grown up kids.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Why would anyone want to interact with their 'hired helps' relatives?

My 'hired help' does all the school interactions.

My son speaks English. 

Have you no inclination to go to his school and discuss teaching methodologies with his teachers?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Hmmmm.... do you get the impression people generally don't want to talk or be around you?

TBL is an old guy like me, most of us don't require (or want) much company.

The only company I can endure these days, is other English men, and then only in short bursts.

26 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Extremely dangerous psychologically if the son is half-Thai. Basically saying that half of his being is inferior. I've sadly seen negative consequences of this in my friends' grown up kids.

Can't help but wonder what the Thai wife has to say about this linguistic chauvanism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

TBL is an old guy like me, most of us don't require (or want) much company.

The only company I can endure these days, is other English men, and then only in short bursts.

You like English men for company...

Some people get all the company they want from being on TV every day posting negative comments. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Some people get all the company they want from being on TV every day posting negative comments. 

You said it all ............

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

My mother-in-law doesn't speak any English, however, that has never caused any problems. I lived there for a while and we never had any issues not understanding each other with things that were needed to be done. Routines are routines. Just like many other farang manage to get by just fine. If the teachers at my kids school aren't speaking the required level to talk to me, then they shouldn't be teaching my children. I have already interacted with the teachers I will be sending my children to through social events anyway.

Wow. You think the teachers at a village school should speak English with you? I wonder what they think of you, and as for your MIL, I wonder what your kid thinks about you being unable to converse with his grandmother. Sorry, but I find this very sad, especially for your kids. Imagine if you were at school and your friends found out one of your parents was illiterate.

Btw, what 'source' are you on about that you want in Thai? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

-i don't frequent local temples,

-i'm not a member of any club nor do i invest in cryptocurrencies,

-except for the purchase of my first condo 45 years ago all my houses were paid for in cash,

-i hold a D.Sc.rer.nat. and and a Master's mech.eng. no more university for me,

-deaf people speaking a tonal language is a miracle... happens only in Thailand.

-i never write letters in Thai and those i receive (3/12th of a dozen per annum)

are read by my my assistant and answered after consulting with me.

next irrelevant suggestion please!

I understand you not going to temple if you can't talk to anyone, without your translator.

Same as not being the member of a club. If you want to be a hermit, fine, bit most foreigners in Thailand are not retirees with no life. Do you have any hobbies?

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

Most of those things one can learn without language when living in their environment, or can easily be communicated through other means. The insect thing there is a lot of debate on this forum. Many uneducated Thai claim they are dangerous, farang claim many are not and usually attach the research to prove it. So if someone wants to live a life of constant fear due to believing everything they hear will kill them then that is up to them. One time I was unsure was when my dog killed a snake and it looked like the snake got in a bite. I merely took the photo of the snake, sent it to a pharmacy friend who works in the hospital and she asked the hospital staff (got my answer in 5 minutes). I have called for an EMS by myself, I have even been able to get a drip hooked up in my home if I have had severe food poisoning by myself. Language has not been required. 

Snakes, my Thai neighbors (wealthy from Bangkok) are clueless about snakes, they were scared of one in their garden the other day, I told then 'banded kukri completely harmless', they reply 'very dangerous' ....... but what do I know, I'm only a foreigner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Snakes, my Thai neighbors (wealthy from Bangkok) are clueless about snakes, they were scared of one in their garden the other day, I told then 'banded kukri completely harmless', they reply 'very dangerous' ....... but what do I know, I'm only a foreigner.

Knowing the word ngu saam liam, or banded krait was important to me once when I came upon one in Nakon Nayok. I also saw another in bangkok. Extremely dangerous. What's a kukri?

11 minutes ago, Naam said:

you Honourable Sir don't know what you are talking about. i spent 4½ years in one of the federal states of Nigeria constructing an industrial plant. the local official languages (not dialects) used besides English in this state were Tiv, Idoma, Igede. moreover we had supervisors and workers speaking Yoruba, Igbo, Haussa, Fulfulde. these are the ones i remember but there must have been a bunch other languages spoken by various employees.

You sound like my granddad going on about fighting the Nazis during the war and all his other achievements in the past.  Live for the present, I say.  Mind you, I respect what he did, or we may all be having to learn German now! What has you working in Nigeria got to do with anything on this thread. You say English was the official language?

2 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

You say English was the official language?

English was the official language on government level but not on the construction site. enough now, my time is too precious to waste on arrogant ignorants.

3 minutes ago, Naam said:

you seem to have big problems to understand. are you assuming that i am a Buddhist? well i'm not and neither is my wife who is (according to you) totally mad because she does not want to learn Thai. and because we are not Buddhists we don't visit temples regularly but both of us have seen enough temples of various religions to last for several life times.

i hate clubs and i hate crowds of more than five people in one spot. yes, many TV-members are aware that i tend to live like a hermit. i do that since i retired 28 years ago and i have so many hobbies that i wish the day had 36 hours (30 hours for my hobbies and 6 hours for sleeping). and if you think i don't have a life because my wife is not Thai you have my sincere sympathy.

Temples here are like community centres. I'm not Buddhist yet enjoy discussing spiritual matters.

So you have visited other temples in other countries, it's only Thailand you are shunning? 

I said nothing about your wife and didn't know she wasn't Thai.

I have hobbies too and find many useful sites online(in Thai) to read about them and find out where to do them.

5 minutes ago, Naam said:

English was the official language on government level but not on the construction site. enough now, my time is too precious to waste on arrogant ignorants.

Wow, if lost for words, turn to insults. I can't believe you were TV poster of the year.

Edited by MrPatrickThai