Video: Just another day travelling in Thailand's infamous minivans...

webfact

23 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

If I was in this van then I would tell him in no uncertain terms that he either puts his telephone down or its going to take a trip out of the window. I just wouldn't tolerate it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

And who do you think would win that argument?  Better to just ask him to stop and get out.  Not at Villa Park now chum!

• Haha 1

On 01-11-2018 on my home from BKK to Korat,  the driver had his cell phone wedged in the steering wheel hub and was watching some fast action movie or at the very least was just listening to the action with his headset on.  Think it would be hard not to look down to see what was going on.

6 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

I’d like to know what the possible scenarios are if we do the right thing and try to save our own life by politely asking him to put the phone down and watch the road ahead. 

He will obviously be offended but would he listen? 

he will say "solly" and go back to playing cellphone.

13 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Pretty much same as every Taxi motorbike I ever seem to take. They are either on the phone, drinking coffee, eating or just driving along with one hand at 200 mph just to scare the **** out of me. 

Since all motorbike taxi drivers pilot a Click or Wave how do they get them to go 200 MPH?  Drinking coffee while carrying a passenger?  Something I've never seen on a motorcycle taxi and I've been here for 20 years.  

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

How many parents have grieved for kids catapulted through their windscreen in the 30 years that you have been 'Thaier than thou' and why did you wait until 2014 before joining this site?

troll-meter.gif

Relax. You can't let health and safety dominate your life and live in fear. Poor people have to work and unlike middle class rich people like you cannot afford maids or baby sitters. They are a close loving family. Sounds like something you could have benefited from. When I first came to Thailand there was no internet. When I first became aware of TV and read it I was disgusted by small minded, parochial, provincial, reactionry bigots and haters who should just shut up and ship out, so I used it very little. However, When I did join to refute some of the more racist, bigoted, hateful, small minded, emotionally stunted,spiteful ignorant views  I had a different email account. I have lived, worked and travelled in over 50 countries including Thailand nearly 30 years ago. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xyznot said:

Since all motorbike taxi drivers pilot a Click or Wave how do they get them to go 200 MPH?  Drinking coffee while carrying a passenger?  Something I've never seen on a motorcycle taxi and I've been here for 20 years.  

I have used them thousands of times Pattaya, Bangkok and elswhere im Thailand for nearly 30 years. They are very safe. They know the roads and they know their vehicles. A brilliant service. Nuff respect!

6 minutes ago, seminomadic said:

Likewise, you can't let some occasional Thai-bashing dominate your life and live in some self-righteous pursuit of online negativity, of which there is no limit. What you seem to consider 'reactionary bigots' is people letting off some steam in a forum that allows it.  You're actually the one who needs to relax - nobody asked you how many countries you've visited. Sounds like all your years of travel and experience have done nothing but help fossilize an overblown ego. 

Expect pushback from members when you peg the needle playing Thai apologist as you are on this thread.

Not letting of steam. Low brow bigots who have very little life or travel experience constantly expressing hate, lies and innacurate views. Many don't even live here I believe. As we live in, and are discussing a foreign country where we live the many countries I have been to give a context to my world view is sadly lacking in petty minded Thai haters...I don't have a fossilized ego just the educated confidence to challenge hate, lies and BS when I read it. Travel broadens the mind of the intelligent and narrows the mind of stupid people by  reinforcing their fixed cultural views. 

5 minutes ago, seminomadic said:

Best way to handle the problem of drivers - van, taxi, tuk-tuk... is to learn enough Thai to say "Should text/talk/chat while driving... the police'll catch you"

This last bit, rather than making them seem to be doing something completely wrong in and of itself, makes it sound like there's another peril that directly affects them (the driver). Sort of externalizes the whole thing beyond being between just him and you, among other passengers.

Best to say it gently, even though the temptation to say it somewhat angrily (and rightfully so) will be overwhelming.

If you've done that, and the guy continues to be a knucklehead about the whole thing, it will win you more support from the rest of the passengers. This may (or may not) help your cause for whatever actions you decide to take from there. There are other ways to escalate from there besides whipping his phone out the window as hilarious as that would be. But remember that more than a few of these guys are on certain substances while they drive, and they tend to get sort of stabby.

You're then just trading off one peril for another.

Yes these situations can usually be dealt with diplomatically.

6 hours ago, The manic said:

Not letting of steam. Low brow bigots who have very little life or travel experience constantly expressing hate, lies and innacurate views. Many don't even live here I believe. As we live in, and are discussing a foreign country where we live the many countries I have been to give a context to my world view is sadly lacking in petty minded Thai haters...I don't have a fossilized ego just the educated confidence to challenge hate, lies and BS when I read it. Travel broadens the mind of the intelligent and narrows the mind of stupid people by  reinforcing their fixed cultural views. 

Intelligence is the one thing everybody has more than average off.

Good to read you are one of the more intelligent people on the world and that travelling has broadened your mind while it did less well for others.

I am honoured we post on the same message board as it is truely inspiring to see the wise words of someone of extraordinary intelligence.

Let me just warn you that there might be a day that one of your loved ones won't return home.

The moment you will find out that he/she was taken away by a drunk driver, someone going against traffic, someone texting while driving, or something similar will be the day the coin will finally drop for you. Your world view will change that very moment and you will regret everything you posted here regarding this subject. What will anger you the most though, will be that you might hear people make remarks in your presence, maybe years later, saying things like "you should not complain, its the Thai way" or "i also drive drunk because police won't check anyways and that is how we all do it". 

I sincerely hope you will never experience this as the pain it will bring you will be infinitely larger than the pleasure it will be bring for you to swallow your words and see how wrong you have been.

p.s. you still didn't mention which country you are moving to as Thailand has many Thai-bashers and you think people should move when they don't like something in a country.

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2018 at 4:01 PM, Dmaxdan said:

If I was in this van then I would tell him in no uncertain terms that he either puts his telephone down or its going to take a trip out of the window. I just wouldn't tolerate it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Or so you'd like to "think."

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2018 at 1:06 AM, djayz said:

Sack him immediately and revoke his licence (if he has one) and impose a life long ban on driving any form of vehicle ever again! 

And even worse.....take his phone off him and ban him from owning one ever again.

• Like 1

Some flames and replies have been removed, can we talk about the tpoic please and not bash each other, thank you.

Video: Just another day travelling in Thailand's infamous minivans...

On 2.2.2018 at 8:27 AM, The manic said:

Stop being so judgemental and critical. You are not building anything of worth if you think a family, a poor family doing their best to look after their kid is in anway bad. Im as tired of westren snobs and cultural imperialists like you these days as I was when I first came here 30 years ago. Get used to it or get out.

Well... it's kind of sweet how this family works together to make a living. It's just that even a minor accident... or even braking to sharply, will send that kid flying against, or possibly through the windshield. So it might be better if someone reminded the parents about how basic physics work before physics itself does so.

No need for them to leave the kid with a nanny. Just put it in a basket behind the drivers seat would increase his survival chances dramatically.

Better change bad things than running away from them...

Edited by badischer Barde