Would you buy a Kia in Chiang Mai..?

mikey88

Was at Expat Auto a few days ago - saw a couple. Asked this very question ...

Seems parts are not difficult to source, they come well equipped at a good price.

I would not hesitate if I was in the market for a car, but I keep mine for a long time and resale means little to me.

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Was at Expat Auto a few days ago - saw a couple. Asked this very question ...

Seems parts are not difficult to source, they come well equipped at a good price.

I would not hesitate if I was in the market for a car, but I keep mine for a long time and resale means little to me.

It was the issue of ‘parts’ that I was concerned with. Could be totally incorrect but a Thai friend said parts were not readily available or expensive compared to other brands...??

if someone has had direct experience with getting parts I’d be interested to hear it....Thanks.

4 hours ago, mikey88 said:

It was the issue of ‘parts’ that I was concerned with. Could be totally incorrect but a Thai friend said parts were not readily available or expensive compared to other brands...??

if someone has had direct experience with getting parts I’d be interested to hear it....Thanks.

OEM parts are not that difficult to get your hands on, but are quite expensive. There aren't a lot of aftermarket parts such as brembo, TRW, Lucas, Bosch, etc available. 

4 hours ago, mikey88 said:

Check with ex pats autos they are very helpful.

16 hours ago, mikey88 said:

Title speaks for itself really

Does it?

This Post would be helped if you had posted what it was/does and what it costs to buy and use in CM! My crystal ball is broken and before you say "Use Google"!  Not my job.

Please elucidate.

Edited by scottiejohn

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Does it?

This Post would be helped if you had posted what it was/does and what it costs to buy and use in CM! My crystal ball is broken and before you say "Use Google"!  Not my job.

Please elucidate.

He is the OP. Title very clear to me. Have something constructive to help the OP ? Post away.

Play games - get a soccer ball.

Probably not, issues with servicing availability and resale value. In that size range, IMHO Mitsubishi Mirage, Honda Brio, Toyota Yaris or Nissan Micra would be better options.

Having said that, a low mileage used Kia Picanto would be more sensible for initial capital outlay, provided you are going to run it until it falls apart.

5 hours ago, JoeW said:

OEM parts are not that difficult to get your hands on, but are quite expensive. There aren't a lot of aftermarket parts such as brembo, TRW, Lucas, Bosch, etc available. 

I had a KIA in Australia.  Great car.     I looked at buying one in Thailand, but as they are not assembled here, they cost a lot more than their nearest equivalent.

I ended up buying a Suzuki.  Same price as in Australia, but minus most of the safety features, 1 (ONE) air bag v. 7 in the Aussie version.  No demister heater.   Needed on cool, rainy nights.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Probably not, issues with servicing availability and resale value. In that size range, IMHO Mitsubishi Mirage, Honda Brio, Toyota Yaris or Nissan Micra would be better options.

Having said that, a low mileage used Kia Picanto would be more sensible for initial capital outlay, provided you are going to run it until it falls apart.

To all those who have helped with info....thanks very much.

I’ll return the favour when I can.

7 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Does it?

Please elucidate.

Always one.

Thanks to all the others....

12 hours ago, masuk said:

I had a KIA in Australia.  Great car.     I looked at buying one in Thailand, but as they are not assembled here, they cost a lot more than their nearest equivalent.

I ended up buying a Suzuki.  Same price as in Australia, but minus most of the safety features, 1 (ONE) air bag v. 7 in the Aussie version.  No demister heater.   Needed on cool, rainy nights.

I have wondered about that myself, most low budget cars here omit the heater/demister.  Some don't have ABS or ESC, which wouldn't pass muster in other countries. I've put it down to the bean counters here - every accessory they can leave off a car adds to the profit.

Edited by Lacessit