Americans expats -- what American foods/brands are you buying in Thailand?

Jingthing

16 hours ago, bubba45 said:

This might not be exactly the white tuna you're looking for, but if you've not tried this brand, give it a shot.  I eat a good bit of tuna, and I buy this one.  They have in brine, water, oil, etc.  I buy them all.  But note the difference in 'tuna steak' and I think the other is 'tuna sandwich'.  The steak is whole, not all crushed up pieces.  I can't recall seeing American brands here.

Oh, and I always add a little Kraft mayo - I'm on that mayo bandwagon, too.

IMG_0193.jpg

Yes, I have tried this brand. I use mayo as well. Thanks

11 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Jingthing Hi

Hate to say the Sriracha sauce which I like is made in America ( with chilies from California) 

Maybe there is a Thai version , but the one in the clear plastic bottle is definitely American - bit annoying they call it Sriracha! 

Tabasco is amazing. It's worth having about. Sriratcha I find gross. Thai don't eat it.

I will say it's far better than that disgusting cheap orange sauce. How did this ever happen in Thailand?

3 hours ago, inThailand said:

Horseradish mustard 

Just get the wasabi powder you see in any supermarket or the ready mixed in tubes,real wasabi is expensive so when you read the label it's usually Horseradish and mustard with a dash of real wasabi at 2% or so.

Can't help it.  I gotta have some Cheetos.  Kettle potato chips are way good, too.

Casa Fiesta jalapenos, Rosarita refried beans and Sloan's chorizo and I

make my own burritos.  Sargento Mexi cheese blend, too.

What happened to Johnsonville brats at Villa?

Hellman's mayo is the best.

I bring my own Gray Poupon from the States.  It was here for a while but I guess it wasn't

a big seller.

The Haagen Dasz here is not the same as in the States.  The one here is made in France.

Not as good.

20 minutes ago, LALes said:

Casa Fiesta jalapenos, Rosarita refried beans and Sloan's chorizo and I

make my own burritos.

Where are you buying the Sloane's chorizo from? I've been meaning to try some.

I know Sloane's sell's their products thru Passion Delivery. But what about a regular store outlet?

23 minutes ago, LALes said:

What happened to Johnsonville brats at Villa?

The Villa Markets in BKK on Suk Soi 11 and 33 still sell Johnsonville sausages the last time I looked recently, though their selection varies for better or worse depending on how long since their most recent restocking.

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Tabasco is amazing. It's worth having about. Sriratcha I find gross. Thai don't eat it.

Interesting how many folks here are mentioning Tabasco sauce as a U.S,. product they use. It is readily available in the farang oriented supermarkets here, and even various restaurants have on on their tables, including the IHOP in Siam Paragon.

I'll use it when I have no other choice. But for my taste, I keep a healthy stock of Tapatio sauce at home that I bring from the U.S., and sometimes Cholula as well, which can be bought at some Villa Market branches.

12 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

So when are we going to get Costco, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Walmart?!?

For decades, I carried a suitcase full of Cheez-Its and kept them in Zip-Locs in my chest freezer. Then Villa started carrying them for a while, and even Tops once or twice, but haven't seen them here for years.

Any leads, please!

Aren't most things sold in Walmart made in China?

21 hours ago, bubba45 said:

Who does southern American BBQ around the world?  Who does gumbo?  The modern version of what people around the world know as pizza was created in America, because Europe never had tomatoes.  I'm sure we could debate forever that one dish is a variation of another "real country's" dish (I won't ask what that means), but to say there's no real American food other than fast food is ign....wrong. 

And btw, no one that appreciates food will spend much time in McD's, KFC, etc.  And keep eating that street food, with its MSG and questionable oils being used.  Healthy???  I've given that stuff up because I don't trust the cook.

:cheesy: Pizza was around long before the Europeans invaded the Americas... Italians (who else?!?) brought  the pizza to america... Only american pizza is created in america. IMHO, non-american pizza is much more delicious. I do NOT consider the products of Pizza Hut and Pizza Company as REAL pizza;  just another americanized attempt to copy and of course make money...
Bon Appetit :smile:  (yes, I know; that is originally French)

2 hours ago, JulesMad said:

:cheesy: Pizza was around long before the Europeans invaded the Americas... Italians (who else?!?) brought  the pizza to america... Only american pizza is created in america. IMHO, non-american pizza is much more delicious. I do NOT consider the products of Pizza Hut and Pizza Company as REAL pizza;  just another americanized attempt to copy and of course make money...

Yes, "flat bread" of various sorts has been around for ages, first in the middle east.  But most people today associate tomato sauce on pizza as being "pizza".  And that didn't happen until tomatoes were brought back to europe from America.  Regardless.....

I think most americans, at least in this discussion, don't consider chain pizza "real" american pizza.  If you think that's all American pizza is, you've never been to america.

Did you join this topic to contribute or just argue and act arrogant?

2 hours ago, JulesMad said:

I make Chicago style and New York style and Detroit style pizza at my house in Thailand.  I also make Sicilian and Neapolitan style and pizza like they make in Rome.   I don't know whatda you mean when you say American pizza? 

I thinka you don know much about pizza eh? Ya, I have a stone oven that heats to 600 Fahrenheit. And I buy flour at Tops.

pizza.jpg

pizza 2.jpg

47 minutes ago, bubba45 said:

Yes, "flat bread" of various sorts has been around for ages, first in the middle east.  But most people today associate tomato sauce on pizza as being "pizza".  And that didn't happen until tomatoes were brought back to europe from America.  Regardless.....

I think most americans, at least in this discussion, don't consider chain pizza "real" american pizza.  If you think that's all American pizza is, you've never been to america.

Did you join this topic to contribute or just argue and act arrogant?

I think Naples has the claim to inventing what we call pizza,I think they have an EU designated area thingy on it.Italian immigrants took the tomato to the US and as they invented tomato sauce and then pizza they get the credit,Don't know who to blame for the abominations that masquerade as pizza nowadays,my first pizza was on the streets of Naples 1973 while visiting Pompei the tomato sauce was a revelation to this young chef.tomatoes came from the Americas not America it was an Aztec thing.

Edited by adammike
Addition
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Where are you buying the Sloane's chorizo from? I've been meaning to try some.

I know Sloane's sell's their products thru Passion Delivery. But what about a regular store outlet?

Villa has a good variety of Sloane's sausages.  Their Johnsonville brats are down to the breakfast variety the last few months.  They used to carry a wider selection.  Haven't seen cans of S & W sauerkraut in a long time, either.

5 hours ago, adammike said:

I think Naples has the claim to inventing what we call pizza,I think they have an EU designated area thingy on it.Italian immigrants took the tomato to the US and as they invented tomato sauce and then pizza they get the credit,Don't know who to blame for the abominations that masquerade as pizza nowadays,my first pizza was on the streets of Naples 1973 while visiting Pompei the tomato sauce was a revelation to this young chef.tomatoes came from the Americas not America it was an Aztec thing.

Done know how to tellyou dis but Sicily and the mob have large populations in the USA'a in Detroit and Chicago.  Dey brought wid dem recipe for Sicilian Pizza in the 1860's.  Anda my momma mia made disa for me before any fru fing mu ming Neapolitan stuff.  I didn't have to get deported to Sicily to taste real pizza. It was in my momma's kitchen since before we even got tommy guns.  Sicilian Pizza did note have tomato sauce in the beginning.  But dats a long story.  If you don believe dis fungula dua.   

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/3/2018 at 10:12 PM, Jingthing said:

These Italians seem to like Pop Tarts more than I do.

I guess it's no wonder so many people, especially Europeans, have a bad impression of American food if they think it's really only this processed and canned garbage.

I haven't eaten Pop Tarts since I was a kid, but they had some in the 75% off section, so I picked a package up. They are actually pretty decent if warm enough. Yes, processed and all that, but very few desserts are healthy anyway. Unfortunately, I have a sweet tooth, but mostly stick to dark chocolate almonds or ice cream.

4 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I haven't eaten Pop Tarts since I was a kid, but they had some in the 75% off section, so I picked a package up. They are actually pretty decent if warm enough. Yes, processed and all that, but very few desserts are healthy anyway. Unfortunately, I have a sweet tooth, but mostly stick to dark chocolate almonds or ice cream.

That's it though. They are desserts when most people eat them as a main meal, particularly breakfast. If you were choosing an actual dessert, doubtful Pop Tarts would be high on the list. 

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:27 PM, unclueng said:

I bought Miracle Whip at Tops in Suphanburi yesterday.

The only place I can find it consistently in Chiang Mai is at Central Festival. Tops and Rimping never seem to have it when I am there.

I really miss Canada Dry ginger ale. 

Salt and vinegar potato chips.

Licorice red and black ones.

The one thing I hate here is when they put the Thai stickers over the English labels. And those stickers are impossible to remove.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's it though. They are desserts when most people eat them as a main meal, particularly breakfast. If you were choosing an actual dessert, doubtful Pop Tarts would be high on the list. 

Butch the boxer likes pop tarts...

and then there is Cherry Poptart...she gives good head...

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/cherry-poptart-1/4000-48892/

poptarts: good old american sex and violence all over the place...

19 hours ago, xyznot said:

Done know how to tellyou dis but Sicily and the mob have large populations in the USA'a in Detroit and Chicago.  Dey brought wid dem recipe for Sicilian Pizza in the 1860's.  Anda my momma mia made disa for me before any fru fing mu ming Neapolitan stuff.  I didn't have to get deported to Sicily to taste real pizza. It was in my momma's kitchen since before we even got tommy guns.  Sicilian Pizza did note have tomato sauce in the beginning.  But dats a long story.  If you don believe dis fungula dua.   

I shall be keeping a close eye out for men in dark suits wearing shades and carrying violin cases.

On 2/6/2018 at 4:52 PM, bubba45 said:

Here's the sausage I mentioned yesterday.  Must be the same butcher in BKK laochef mentioned, Sloane.  They have a wide variety of flavors.

Yes, I was in my local Villa yesterday and noticed they had several varieties of Sloane's, including their Chorizo Sausages. But not nearly the full range offered by Sloane's.

5a7bfe8b9e79d_2018-02-0716_49_19.thumb.jpg.3f3d1685d8b1e2755a1f5f4ae02da4b4.jpg

However, when I look at the Sloane's section on the Passion Delivery website, they have the chorizo sausages AND 500g packages of just plain ground chorizo -- and it's the latter I'd be more interested in than the sausages. But I've never seen the plain ground chorizo packages from Sloane's in the supermarkets.

On 2/5/2018 at 5:14 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Likewise, I think there may be a similar issue with some Hershey's products here. My wife just got a tin of Hershey's Kisses chocolates at home as a gift, and if you look at the metal box packaging, it's 100% in Thai language, and the only location listed is an address in Bangkok.

I was in Villa Market yesterday, and decided to go thru the Hershey's chocolate section,  checking the labels on a half dozen or so different items at random.

Didn't find a single one that was manufactured in the USA, according to their labels. Found several made in Malaysia, several made in China, I think one from the Phils, and several more that had packaging info 100% in Thai script.

So as best as I can tell, neither the Mars nor Hershey brand chocolates sold here are typically made in the U.S,, and unfortunately, often coming from China instead. Buyer beware.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, for those who have posted above about imported Tostitos or Doritos tortilla chips, I wanted to call to your attention another made in the U.S. brand available here that folks might not be as familiar with -- Garden of Eatin.

At least in BKK, they're typically sold in Tops and Central supermarkets in the 8-9 ounce bags, and often are on sale in the range of 109 or 115 baht. I think the regular price is 129 or 139 baht.

One of the nice things about Garden of Eatin -- aside from the fact they're made in the U.S. -- is that they probably have a half dozen different flavors here -- Red Hot, Chili Lime, Nacho, Sweet Potato, Yellow Corn, Blue Corn, and my favorite, Blue Corn with no salt added.

If you like tortilla chips, it's worth giving them a try.