Top Ten hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand

webfact

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't think a google search will ever identify the UK as a leader in road deaths in any decade and while your point is valid to a degree in that the statistics can be 'distorted' by the number of vehicles on the road etc the efficiency of the point made is quite simple... 

Thailand is #1 in road deaths - using this statistic does not weaken the argument that the roads are dangerous in Thailand and neither is it 'Sino-Phobic'.... its just a fact.

That said, getting into the nuts and bolts of it - your (in depth) statistical comparison would also be distorted as tire-technology, car design, crumple zones, ABS breaks, airbags, use of seat belts area all improved, they weren't in the 60's and 70's... 

Whichever way you can twist it, Thailand's roads are far more dangerous (per capita or by any other measurement) than roads at any time in history in many of the Countries from which we originate (i.e. UK). Arguing otherwise would imply an incredible degree of bias and an avoidance of fact....  Thailand's roads are more dangerous than in the West, driving standards are far poorer, there are often fatal flaws in the road design.... these issues cannot be dressed up and voicing these opinions does not make someone 'Sino-Phobic' or 'Anti-Thai'.... it simply makes the person who voiced the opinion aware of the facts.

Apparently you still are unable to understand my post.

Please if you are going to attribute something to me, quote my actual words.

BTW I think you need to find out what Sinophobic means

6 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Apparently you still are unable to understand my post.

Please if you are going to attribute something to me, quote my actual words.

BTW I think you need to find out what Sinophobic means

Agreed - Apologies for the misquote: Sinophobic when I meant to quote your comment that those who use Thailands road deaths as a criticism of Thailand may be Siamo-phobic.

The manipulation of statistics can be clearly understood along with your simple suggest critising my even simpler use of quoted road death statistics. 

But you seem to continue to want to argue the point that 30 years ago with all other things being equal the UK (or similar countries) presented the same level of road deaths as Thailand today and we should therefore also be critical of ourselves and if we are not, then simply quoting today's statistics are not good enough and we have a 'Siamo-phobic' superiority complex.

Your logic attempts to knee-cap the point that Thailand is the world leader in road deaths, a fact which it seems you think should not be used be used for risk of some level of hypocrisy and those who do somehow hate Thailand.....  You are wrong. 

• Like 1

There's no doubt that many drive extremely badly here - but comparing the number of road accident deaths to those in wealthy countries (where the vast majority drive cars) isn't even close to a fair comparison.

I'm pretty sure that most people killed on the roads in Thailand are riding 'bikes, so more interesting comparisons would be impossible to ascertain.

i.e. likelihood of dying, whilst riding a 'bike per miles driven/number injured or killed by cars/respective ratios of cars and 'bikes etc.

As the number of cars increase on Thai roads - more 'bike riders are going to die.

Edited by dick dasterdly

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed - Apologies for the misquote: Sinophobic when I meant to quote your comment that those who use Thailands road deaths as a criticism of Thailand may be Siamo-phobic.

The manipulation of statistics can be clearly understood along with your simple suggest critising my even simpler use of quoted road death statistics. 

But you seem to continue to want to argue the point that 30 years ago with all other things being equal the UK (or similar countries) presented the same level of road deaths as Thailand today and we should therefore also be critical of ourselves and if we are not, then simply quoting today's statistics are not good enough and we have a 'Siamo-phobic' superiority complex.

Your logic attempts to knee-cap the point that Thailand is the world leader in road deaths, a fact which it seems you think should not be used be used for risk of some level of hypocrisy and those who do somehow hate Thailand.....  You are wrong. 

No I'm not, you are drawing incorrect inferences or just cherry picking to maintain a presumed premise. You are in fact working backwards...look at the evidence and come to a cconclusion. Don't invent a conclusion and then go looking for evidence.

You still don't seem to understand what a quote is.

Time and again you claim to "quote" me but in reality you are just putting your own preconceived wildly inaccurate interpretations without any quotation at all.

Edited by Airbagwill

What is the problem ?...you have a confortable pension ?  your retirement visa is up to date ? your pool villa on leasehold is fully paid ? you have proper medical / accident coverage back home ? you only stay for 6 months in winter ? you have some good secret, cheap, tasty food joints to eat out daily ? ...you always have used condoms when endulging in anyform of spiritual enlightment ?.....the laundry girls are not to far from your place and you negotiated that they do home delivery ?.......you are in good health and have your booze and tobacco issues under proper control ? ....you have proper hospitals not to far from your place ?....you respect the law and always wear a helmet even for a quick drive to the local soapy happy enders or to 7/11 if you run out of your late night nitecap ?......you have negotiated a cheap rate for a taxi drive from your place to the center of your town with a local taxi family ?...you use proper european purchased 50+ protection sun block ?....... you have no property or bank relationship is in any Thai woman's name ?..... you have a sexy young maid who comes over 3 times a week who does not just only clean your house ?...you always do your immigration reporting at time ?.....none of your girlfriends are aware that the house is purchased as you told them it is on rent ?.......you can afford to do a visa run with a low cost airline to Vietnam and get your willy serviced for 48 hours in a nice hotel by the beach ?.....you have a will both in Thailand and in Europe regarding your house in leasehold and cash ?...............so WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ???????? .....:whistling:...Am I  missing something here ?

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1

On 02/02/2018 at 6:16 AM, Thaiwrath said:

11. Beware of some expats, especially the ones who try to be your best friend, despite having just met you.

Also, don't always believe the 'ex S.A.S., Navy Seal, Special forces' bullshit, as most who have done it, will 

never ever mention it.  

Bravo Zulu, Mate!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2018 at 6:18 PM, Sailor42 said:

Bravo Zulu, Mate!

Yes exactly.  I was stationed around some of these guys and transported them out of the bush.  Army Rangers and Green Berets.  We had strict instructions not to talk with them.  Some really did collect scalps and ears.  <deleted> freaked me out!!!

• 3 months later...
On 2/2/2018 at 6:20 AM, inThailand said:

Add...

Don't believe 98% of the stuff posted on expat forums. For the most part, its down right false and hersay.

Oh that is fabulous. He could be saying 'hearsay' or 'heresy'.

Why not both?

On 2/2/2018 at 5:05 AM, webfact said:

At the end of the day, ask yourself how difficult is it for Thai citizens to live in your country…

Good point.

Also it's easieer for me to get Thai citizenship than it is for my wife to get British citizenship.

I'm tired of hearing people say, "I've been working here for 10 years, got a Thai wife and kids, and shouldn't have to go to immigration every 90 days", when they can't even tell me what month it is in Thai. They could have applied for citizenship or permanent residency, yet don't. They have an arrogant senses of entitlement.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 5:05 AM, webfact said:

At the end of the day, ask yourself how difficult is it for Thai citizens to live in your country…

Good point.

Also it's easieer for me to get Thai citizenship than it is for my wife to get British citizenship.

I'm tired of hearing people say, "I've been working here for 10 years, got a Thai wife and kids, and shouldn't have to go to immigration every 90 days", when they can't even tell me what month it is in Thai. They could have applied for citizenship or permanent residency, yet don't. They have an arrogant senses of entitlement.

5) They will get angry… you NEVER want that to happen, you’ll come off second best every time. Jai yen.

Nonsense, unless you are talking about tourists, not expats. It's all to do with how much power you have.

To many expats are concerned annoy upsetting Thais. Would Thais in your country think this way? No, that's why so many Thais think farang are easy targets, naive, and stupid. 

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Good point.

I did not know it was that easy to get Thai citizenship or permanent residency. From what I have read in this forum, you have to jump through a lot of hoops to do, and be proficient in the Thai language  (not an expert could be wrong) . IMO easier to jump through the extensions to stay based on marriage or retirement . Are you a Thai citizen or permanent Resident? if so I would like to know how easy it was for you. I am not being facetious I would really like to know. 

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I did not know it was that easy to get Thai citizenship or permanent residency. From what I have read in this forum, you have to jump through a lot of hoops to do, and be proficient in the Thai language  (not an expert could be wrong) . IMO easier to jump through the extensions to stay based on marriage or retirement . Are you a Thai citizen or permanent Resident? if so I would like to know how easy it was for you. I am not being facetious I would really like to know. 

Ditto - I ask the same question.  And 2 more:  Can I 'migrate' to Thailand - No.  Can I become a Thai citizen - Not Likely Mate.

My wife will become an Australian Citizen easy peasy.  Applied for Migrant Visa approved same year. Arrived soon after and no immigration problems/issues.  No 90 days reporting (only advise if we move house). No annual renewal. No need for permission to re-enter when we visit Thailand. Free English lessons for 500 hours. Discounted Government services/charges. Full driving licence (when passed test).  Free medical services after 12 months. Entitled to welfare payments after 2 years. Full legal rights and treated as an equal by all businesses. No need for a new 'resident certificate' for any Government services (online approved new Migrant system).  Permanent Resident after 2 years - easy process.  Citizenship (and Passport) after 4 years - relatively easy process. After 10 years entitled to the Australian Pension when aged 67.  The wife now understands why I sometimes complained about all the crap I had to go through to stay in Thailand, and every time we visited Australia, and that I got nothing when I lived there.

22 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I applied to be a Thai citizen last year. Quite straightforward, and 5000 baht.

If married, don't need to speak Thai. But need to be married for 3 years and have worked for 3 years with a salary over 40k, so obviously will know a lot of Thai.

To save visa for the rest of my life, much easier.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If married, don't need to speak Thai. But need to be married for 3 years and have worked for 3 years with a salary over 40k, so obviously will know a lot of Thai.

Thank you for that reply.

Do you need to have worked for three years in Thailand? ? How about retirees married to a thai, with a substantial pension income?

I have never worked in Thailand.

26 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

since you mentioned, I have being reading up  on the subject, but as you can see from my previous question, not proficient on the subject yet. 

From what i read, once granter permanent residency,  you have to apply to the police for a alien ID card  which you have to renew every year, so exchanging the once a year extension to stay , with a once a year Alient ID application. and if you leave   the country and want to return you need to return apply for a reentry permit. so it seems to  my uninformed opinion,that the hoops continue , just the names change.

I guess it does put you on the path of citizenship, of which I know litle but will look into .

Anyway, thanks again for the info, It is certainly food for thought.

16 hours ago, sirineou said:

since you mentioned, I have being reading up  on the subject, but as you can see from my previous question, not proficient on the subject yet. 

From what i read, once granter permanent residency,  you have to apply to the police for a alien ID card  which you have to renew every year, so exchanging the once a year extension to stay , with a once a year Alient ID application. and if you leave   the country and want to return you need to return apply for a reentry permit. so it seems to  my uninformed opinion,that the hoops continue , just the names change.

I guess it does put you on the path of citizenship, of which I know litle but will look into .

Anyway, thanks again for the info, It is certainly food for thought.

One doesn't need permanent residency first if married to a Thai.

You must have paid tax for three years, so a retiree can't get it. You would have to change visas and do a few other things, which would take a few years.

17 hours ago, evadgib said:

You might like to defer preening your feathers until its in your hand.

I'm not preening my feathers. I'm just trying to point out how citizenship is rather easy and short these days(if married to a Thai) to those who don't know. I wish I had known a few years ago, but believed all the barstool myths.

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Good point.

51 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm not preening my feathers. I'm just trying to point out how citizenship is rather easy and short these days(if married to a Thai) to those who don't know. I wish I had known a few years ago, but believed all the barstool myths.

You make some good points but reality is, for 90% of us on retire or married to a thai and not working in Thailand, its still not an option.

As per the OP title, for most of us, its one of the top ten hard-truths of living as an expat in thailand.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

....and I'm just pointing out that the process can take 7-10 years despite them allegedly trying to fast-track the application.

(Happened to a friend/MFA certified fluent Thai speaker

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

You make some good points but reality is, for 90% of us on retire or married to a thai and not working in Thailand, its still not an option.

As per the OP title, for most of us, its one of the top ten hard-truths of living as an expat in thailand.

Where do you get that figure from?

Most expats I know work.

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

....and I'm just pointing out that the process can take 7-10 years despite them allegedly trying to fast-track the application.

(Happened to a friend/MFA certified fluent Thai speaker

COULD take, under previous governments.

The people I know who have got it in the last 2 years have ranged from 22 months to 3 years.

Ability in Thai is now very minor, in fact some have got it, with their wives translating everything.

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Where do you get that figure from?

Most expats I know work.

and all of the expats I know are retired , Could both our experience be based on our age and work  status? 

• Like 2