White House poised to approve release of explosive Republican memo

webfact

White House poised to approve release of explosive Republican memo

By Steve Holland and Warren Strobel

2018-02-01T203419Z_1_LYNXMPEE103E9_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump walks on South Lawn upon his return to the White House in Washington, U.S., from Greenbrier, WV, February 1, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House is likely to give Congress approval on Friday to make public a secret Republican memo alleging FBI bias against President Donald Trump in its Russia probe, a White House official said on Thursday, as tensions over the disputed document gripped Washington.

Trump, who had the authority to prevent its release, instead is likely to allow the four-page document to be made public with no redactions, the official said, in a move that could further heighten tensions between the Republican president and the top domestic law enforcement agency.

The document has become a flashpoint in a wider battle between Republicans and Democrats over Special Counsel Robert Mueller's criminal probe into potential collusion between Trump's 2016 presidential campaign and Russia. Mueller's probe grew out of the FBI's Russia investigation after Trump fired the agency's previous director.

Democrats have painted the memo crafted by Republican members of the House Intelligence Committee as misleading, based on a selective use of highly classified data and intended to discredit Mueller's work.

The FBI on Wednesday expressed "grave concerns about material omissions of fact" in the memo, whose release has the potential to prompt high-level resignations in U.S. law enforcement agencies.

One top Republican lawmaker, Senator John Thune, on Thursday voiced concern that release of the document without redactions could expose U.S. intelligence agencies' sources and methods.

"We have had the last couple of days to look at it to make sure it doesn't give away too much in terms of classification. And right now I think ... we'll tell the Congress, probably tomorrow (Friday), that the president is OK with it," the White House official told reporters on Air Force One as Trump returned to Washington from a Republican retreat in West Virginia.

In addition to the concern expressed by the FBI, whose director Christopher Wray was appointed by Trump after he fired predecessor James Comey, the Justice Department also has registered concerns about making the memo public.

Thune, the Senate's No. 3 Republican, urged his House colleagues to allow the Senate Intelligence Committee to review the memo and heed the FBI's concerns before they made it public.

Democrats have said Trump's allies hope to use the memo to potentially give Trump an excuse to fire Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who hired Mueller after Comey's firing, or even Mueller himself.

But Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan defended the document's release, saying it was part of congressional oversight of electronic surveillance such as that used in the Russia probe and important to protect American civil liberties.

'NOT AN INDICTMENT'

"This memo is not an indictment of the FBI, of the Department of Justice. It does not impugn the Mueller investigation or the deputy attorney general," Ryan said.

The memo was commissioned by Republican Devin Nunes, chairman of the House intelligence committee, and purports to show that the FBI and Justice Department misled a U.S. court in seeking to extend electronic surveillance of Trump campaign adviser Carter Page, four sources familiar with it have said.

Intelligence committee Democrats wrote their own memo that panel Republicans prevented from being released at the same time. Thune said if the Republican memo is released, the Democratic one should be, too.

Mueller's investigation and the FBI probe that preceded it have hung over Trump's year-old presidency. Russia and Trump have both denied any collusion. The president has called Mueller's investigation a "witch hunt" and "hoax."

Adding to the fissures in Washington, Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi on Thursday called on Ryan to remove Nunes as the intelligence panel's chairman.

They made the demand after the committee's senior Democrat, Adam Schiff, late on Wednesday said he discovered that Nunes had sent the White House a version of the memo that was "materially altered" and not what the panel voted on Monday to release.

"This action is not only dangerous, it is illegitimate, and violates House rules," Pelosi said.

Former U.S. director of national intelligence James Clapper told Reuters by email: "What struck me about the FBI statement was concern about factual errors of omission; it said nothing about jeopardy to sources and methods. I'm sure there many such considerations, but the distortion of fact is the larger issue."

Wray also won backing for his stance from an association representing FBI agents.

Thune, at the West Virginia retreat, urged fellow Republicans to slow down regarding the memo's release.

"I think the Senate Intelligence Committee needs to see it, for sure," Thune said. "They need to pay careful attention to what our folks who protect us have to say about what this, you know, how this bears on our national security."

The four sources familiar with the memo said it contends that the FBI and Justice Department failed to tell a judge on a U.S. court that some of the information used to justify a surveillance warrant included portions of a dossier of Trump-Russia contacts that was opposition research paid for by Democrats.

However, the sources said the memo does not mention that the request to extend surveillance on Page, which began before Trump took office, also relied on other highly classified information and that U.S. agencies had confirmed excerpts from the dossier included in the request.

U.S. intelligence agencies have concluded that Russia interfered in the 2016 campaign using hacking and propaganda, an effort that eventually included attempting to tilt the race in favour of Trump.

(Additional reporting by Amanda Becker, Karen Freifeld, Jonathan Landay, Doina Chiacu and John Walcott; Editing by Will Dunham)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-02-02

One cannot help but think that Trump and his acolytes are concerned solely with his own benefit at the expense of the US, its norms, its laws, its governance and its traditions.

It is a sad time for everyone when the US has a president who thinks like that...

I have said it before and (sadly) will say it again;

Donald Trump is an ever-expanding cloud of toxic waste that defiles everything it touches.

God help us all.

Let me fix this...

The truth hurts the Democrats WH. After all they lied to American people, FBI, DOJ, Congress. If they don't lie, they plead the 5th. Their day of reckoning is fast approaching. Justice will soon be served. 

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

One cannot help but think that Trump and his acolytes are concerned solely with his own benefit at the expense of the US, its norms, its laws, its governance and its traditions.

It is a sad time for everyone when the US has a president who thinks like that...

I have said it before and (sadly) will say it again;

Donald Trump is an ever-expanding cloud of toxic waste that defiles everything it touches.

God help us all.

The headline should read ....FBI....document(s) and not Republican documents.  The Republicans are contemplating on releasing the memo; they don't 'own' it, rather the PEOPLE do.  In my humble opinion the FBI document was decidedly against the Republicans and thus authored by "....toxic waste..." individuals who have stepped way over "....norms, ....laws...." etc.

12 minutes ago, ToS2014 said:

The headline should read ....FBI....document(s) and not Republican documents.  The Republicans are contemplating on releasing the memo; they don't 'own' it, rather the PEOPLE do.  In my humble opinion the FBI document was decidedly against the Republicans and thus authored by "....toxic waste..." individuals who have stepped way over "....norms, ....laws...." etc.

Totally false.

It is a memo written by republicans. Democrats have said important information has bene left out, and a memo written by democrats was rejected by the republican majority.

The FBI and the recently appointed republican head of the FBI have also said the memo has information missing, and is giving a wrong impression.

Edited by stevenl

If there was ANYTHING in that memo, that would benefit Trump, it would have been released already!

But I guess, they need the time, to put a spin on whatever flimsy stuff is in it- that's why it takes so long!

3 minutes ago, DM07 said:

If there was ANYTHING in that memo, that would benefit Trump, it would have been released already!

But I guess, they need the time, to put a spin on whatever flimsy stuff is in it- that's why it takes so long!

If anything, the fact that it was hinted at for so long and that its contents have been leaking out for weeks, should lessen its impact.

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

Perhaps more to the point authorising the memo's release without Democrats input and against advice from security professionals. Trump cannot keep a commitment made for 48 hours to heal divisions. Trump is again politicising the judicial process, deepening the partisan wedge.  Trump is a liar, a constant source of self serving misinformation. Trump is unfit to represent the Office of the President of the USA.

Edited by simple1

5 minutes ago, lostlink said:

The supporting classified documents is the evidence which Adam Schiff is fully aware of.  Do try and keep up.

You claimed "Settled science" - LOL...

• Rep. Adam Schiff, the ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, says Republicans substantially altered the classified memo before they sent it to the White House.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/01/rep-adam-schiff-republicans-altered-classified-trump-russia-memo.html

Edited by simple1

1 hour ago, lostlink said:

The memo is settled science. That's why the Democrats are going bananas.

The memo is conspiracy nonsense based on junk science.  Its only purpose is to give Trump cover to fire the Deputy AG and/or Mueller.  Trump can't leave well enough alone.  It's the Saturday Night Massacre all over again...

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/01/31/trumps-saturday-night-massacre-is-happening-right-before-our-eyes-216560

9 minutes ago, simple1 said:

You claimed "Settled science" - LOL...

• Rep. Adam Schiff, the ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, says Republicans substantially altered the classified memo before they sent it to the White House.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/01/rep-adam-schiff-republicans-altered-classified-trump-russia-memo.html

" A spokesman for committee Chairman Devin Nunes, R-Calif., said the changes were "minor edits to the memo, including grammatical fixes and two edits requested by the FBI and by the minority themselves."  - - - - - - - - - -

Adam Schiff is the minority Democrat who requested some of the minor edits and now he is complaining about it.

Several House Members do have the desire to release in full the classified documents to  support the contents of the unclassified memo. My, my, that would really put Mr. Schiff in a pickle now wouldn't it... ............. Settled science............

Just do it. Release the thing and lets see just how bad some of the top FBI/ DOJ people are. 

The Dems that are saying it shouldn't be released would probably be begging for it to be published if they thought it would harm Trump. The congress would be full of Dems demanding it be released and how Trump was obstructing justice by keeping it secret.

Everyone knows the sides are partisan and Trump should just ignore them. Like a certain well known newspaper's motto "Democracy dies in darkness".

Let the light in.

Like people always say, if not guilty what is there to worry about 55555555555555.

Once released, the Dems/ FBI/ DOJ have the opportunity to prove that it's not true.

BTW, a lot of posters believe un named "sources" that hurt Trump without reservation, but apparently it's different when something that supports Trump not being guilty is released.

BTW, better believe that if it isn't released it will be leaked. Too many people seen it not to be. Same result.

I just really hope it's not an anticlimax. That would be worse than not releasing it.

1 hour ago, lostlink said:

My, my, that would really put Mr. Schiff in a pickle now wouldn't it... ............. Settled science............

Supposition - currently no evidence whatsoever as to the facts

I will never figure out how the Dems who have released all sorts of classified information to the Press are now so up tight about releasing this memo.  My guess is that trying to keep this memo classified is not in the fact that methods or sources are so exposed but what happened will be embarrassing to the some of the higher ups in the FBI and Justice Dept.   We shall see what's in the thing today, but defending not letting the American public see what their government is up to is what is so distressing to me.  Most people know that so much of the material is kept classified to preclude embarrassment.  FBI and Justice department have been stonewalling both Congressional investigations for a year by not releasing information when asked for it.  Who's running the show the Congress or the Agencies? 

10 hours ago, Berkshire said:

The memo is conspiracy nonsense based on junk science.  Its only purpose is to give Trump cover to fire the Deputy AG and/or Mueller.  Trump can't leave well enough alone.  It's the Saturday Night Massacre all over again...

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/01/31/trumps-saturday-night-massacre-is-happening-right-before-our-eyes-216560

He's trying to get congress to stop Mueller. It might work. 

Edited by Jingthing

GOP has gone crazy and they're trying (and largely succeeding) in dragging the country down with them.

How the GOP Went Crazy

The conspiracy-nut wing has long been at the fringes of Republican politics. Here’s how it took over.

The frenzy on the right to discredit Robert Mueller’s investigation gets more astonishingly desperate by the day—spurred not just by breathless talk radio and Fox News hosts, but also by Republican members of the House, who this week voted to release a Republican memo suggesting the Russia investigation is a partisan plot against President Trump. As Eric Levitz summarizes in New York magazine, Trump supporters’ evolving conspiracy theory posits that “the entire investigation into alleged collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russian government is a baseless sham orchestrated by Hillary Clinton and her deep-state allies,” including “a ‘secret society’ of Democratic operatives embedded within the FBI.”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/02/right-wing-conspiracy-theories-from-the-1960s-to-today.html

2 hours ago, Trouble said:

I will never figure out how the Dems who have released all sorts of classified information to the Press are now so up tight about releasing this memo.  My guess is that trying to keep this memo classified is not in the fact that methods or sources are so exposed but what happened will be embarrassing to the some of the higher ups in the FBI and Justice Dept.   We shall see what's in the thing today, but defending not letting the American public see what their government is up to is what is so distressing to me.  Most people know that so much of the material is kept classified to preclude embarrassment.  FBI and Justice department have been stonewalling both Congressional investigations for a year by not releasing information when asked for it.  Who's running the show the Congress or the Agencies? 

I, on the other hand, can pretty much figure out why the Republicans have refused to release the Committee's. Democratic minority's report on the memo. It's because that report will point out the omissions of material fact and general lack of common sense that characterize Nunes' report.