sole vs. joint custody - makes difference @ passport control?

andreww

Folks, 

Each time I travel with my half-Thai son from Thailand, officers at passport control ask for a permission from his mother. Now we are about to get a divorce and I was wondering, does it matter whether I get sole or joint custody, will it make things easier or more complicated next time I travel with my son? Will officers require a letter from my (soon) ex-wife in case I have sole custody papers from Amphur (or whatever else is required in such situations)? Thank you. 

Sole custody means that you allow decide the place where the child stays (and goes to school, etc etc). Joint custody means that you exercise these rights together with the other parent.

So sole custody means you do not need the mothers permission to leave the country with the child.  (But you might need to show that you have sole custody).

If you have legal sole custody of a child and are divorced, then you can depart Thailand with the child, no permission is required from the mother, as you have sole custody, if the ex. wife agrees to sole custody, then she is forfeiting her parental rights.

You would need to ensure that you have copies of the custody papers and divorce certificate, I would also carry a copy of the child's birth certificate as well, to tie it all together name / ID number wise.

Archived