Non-immigrant B visa for Ghanians

Our school has recently hired a teacher from Ghana, but, due to cock-ups, could not get him the documents in time to change his tourist visa to a non-immigrant B in Thailand, so he will have to leave the country.

From what I read online, he needs a visa to travel to all neighbouring countries except Cambodia, which offers visa on arrival.

He also told me that he knows of Ghanaians who wanted to get non-immigrant B visas in Laos and Malaysia and ran into problems.

So I would like to ask if any of you fine forum dwellers know of any issues regarding the obtaining of a non-immigrant B for Ghanaians. Which country would you send him to? Cambodia seems like the obvious choice, but I've never been there, so haven't got a clue.

Thanks in advance for any info.

He has a major problem. Ghanaians are one of the nationalities that can only apply for visas at the Thai embassy that serves their home country. If he was looking for an extension, a sympathetic immigration office might allow him to apply (after paying a fine) with a few days overstay. Since he needs a conversion, this needs sign off at a high level in the immigration hierarchy. Absent powerful connections, there is little chance anything can be done. There is a chance a few agents might be able to process a late conversion, but this probably depends on the immigration office where you need it done, and may be expensive.

Thanks ubonjoe, but he has already extended his visa. He only got 30 days + 30 day extension, though.

I think the best way would be for him to try for a non-B or tourist visa in Laos and then convert it in Thailand. He needs a Laos visa, but he can get that in Khon Kaen.

Surely he shouldn't go all the way back to Africa to get that, should he? Visa regulations for Africans cannot be that drastically different, I should hope.