Can't Reach US Social Security Site

Trying to get to socialsecurity.gov or ssa.gov but times out in every browser I've tried. Was just down past Hua Hin, so thought maybe just slow internet down there. But even back in my BKK apartment can't get there. (Tried Safari, Firefox, Chrome; even TOR.) I applied for SS benefits starting next month and would like to view status. Anyone else unable to get on? When I applied (about a month ago), it was slow, but I managed to get through. Now: nada. Only site that doesn't work. No problem getting to any other site I've tried.

?

Thanks folks. I've had the free Hola vpn plugin in Chrome, so just tried that. Clunky, but slowly got me to the login page. Then, of course, ran into the ridiculous 'not regular service hours' msg (which I've known about. I'd like to know why they need to shut down their web services for part of the day. I only need to check the status of my application. Can you imagine Amazon saying, 'Sorry, we can't take your order now, we're closed'?)

So, I'll try Chrome/Hola again later. But thanks for the Opera tip. I may try it.

I was able to get there with no vpn before my recent trip (but it was slow). I imagine it's a busy site, but come on USA, give it some bandwidth.

20 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

'I'd like to know why they need to shut down their web services for part of the day.

They are only shut down for part of YOUR day

And the difference between SS and Amazon is that SS is providing a service , Amazon is just trying to sell you something

They restrict the hours so that they have staff on duty to help with any website problems, and so that they can give "seniors" with limited computer skills assistance, when they need it 

I'm personally glad that at least one agency of the US Government is thinking of how to best serve the tax payers by both providing online and phone assistance 

My guess is SS is offline when closed for security reasons.

Long ago I was a systems admin at a large Unix mainframe & we also had to go offline when closed due to sensitive data.

Hackers who would try to get into sites such as these will always attempt during closed hours to give them time to hammer

I had one worker who was previously employed by  large pharmaceutical company in France

He told me as that companies meds research was worth billions they would only open a secured connection

with sister sites for just a few minutes a day for high speed transfers of data