Great news - "miracle" nurse in horrific accident sitting up in bed in hospital

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, evadgib said:

She will next time ?

I doubt she will get back on the horse that through her off, so to speak, after that hit, why would you, especially in Thailand where all the drivers have blinkers on and drive like horses racing for the finish line.

She would have better chances surviving in a car, with less injuries sustained with air bags, etc etc

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

Nissan Almera relatively a new car so I bet she stepped on wrong pedal

No she didn't , she stepped on the (failed) brake pedal very early in the event although it was too late to avoid smashing into the bike / girl.

As TIT, a few wai's, a trip to the temple, and B500 fine should clear up the matter.   

2 hours ago, djayz said:

Hope she makes a full recovery soon. I'm delighted to see she's on the mend. 

Hope she has a good lawyer who can negotiate a generous settlement/compensation package with the car driver. 

Yep-hope the lawyer can extract everything down to the financial tonsils and adenoids.

It is the only way these (deleted) drivers will wake up to themselves.

I do however nurture the hope that Thai social media contributors will continue to crucify their fellow citizens as I believe that loss of money and loss of face go hand in hand.

They can't escape the 20th century-let alone the 21st-for ever.

39 minutes ago, MartinL said:

I hope the helmet involved in this accident has been smashed and put in the bin, not saved to be reused when she recovers. Fortunately it did its job once, I wouldn't trust it a second time.

Absolutely.

When I started motorcycling originally in the UK, all helmets had to be approved to some pretty stiff regulations. I remember being told that if you even dropped your helmet accidentally you needed to replace it (not cheap) as there could possibly be unseen hairline fractures, affecting the integrity of the helmet.

To try and reuse a 200 Baht helmet here after an accident would be a really bad idea, especially those not-too-effective chinstraps.

There again, there is no concept of safety for most Thais, sadly it has never been taught or explained to them.

I've made my wife and son watch some youtube videos of motorcycle accidents when the rider has not worn a helmet. They didn't like watching them, but now do understand.

Often Thais avoid the truth of talking about the possibility of death in a road accident, as it's something they don't want to contemplate.

Sorry for the long rant.

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Whilst it is very good that this poor victim is not dead or in a vegetative state, this type of statement always comes out after a horrific and avoidable accident. It is part of the sweeping under the carpet process that always happens because nobody wants to deal with the real issues. "Don't worry, everything is fine now, forget about it, move on, nothing to see here."

Alas, I believe you speak the truth. I'm very relieved the girl is conscious and apparently coherent. May she recover in the best way possible.

But does anyone find it  (adjective here) and (adjective here) that an RTP officer is standing in the photo? 

3 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

hope the lawyer can extract everything down to the financial tonsils and adenoids.

That's a little more than what I had in mind, but still hope it'll be enough to 1) put the nurse back where she was before the accident and 2) so much that it'll cause the car driver to pay attention in future, but not cripple her financially. 

6 hours ago, shady86 said:

Nissan Almera relatively a new car so I bet she stepped on wrong pedal

Play the video.  She had the brakes burning rubber into the pavement well before she even got close to the car in front of her.  Listen!

Aggressive driving!
I truly believe this - I you want to see what is actually in the heart of another person, then put them behind of the wheel of a powerful vehicle that has highly tinted windows, then watch how they drive. 
Watching Thais drive tells me everything I need to know about the Thai culture and the people in general.  It's either extreme aggressiveness, or a complete lack of knowledge about what is happening around them.

The longer I live here, the more I wish I didn't.  Corruption, lies, excuses, justice based on status, aggressiveness!   Sure - What a paradise.

Fantastic news that she is ok. Minor miracle that she has no permanent spinal or head injuries.
It’s easy to make assumptions from the video on the dos and donts re people’s responses but in the cold light of day the main thing is she has survived. The aftermath will get sorted in due course once the real facts are known.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The girl got a second chance on life, she was reborn again. Hope she’ll do something very useful with her life.

The woman  driver should have her license suspended for life she was most likely texting someone: check her mobile and  it will come out. Brakes somehow failed what a garbage of an excuse 

12 minutes ago, smew said:

The girl got a second chance on life, she was reborn again. Hope she’ll do something very useful with her life.

The woman  driver should have her license suspended for life she was most likely texting someone: check her mobile and  it will come out. Brakes somehow failed what a garbage of an excuse 

She was doing something very useful with her life BEFORE the accident.

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

happy to see that.  but the video looked like even though she had a helmet on, it came off before she hit theI ground so I don't think she had it done up right.

I watched some American type football recently, there were helmets flying off players. I'm betting the players had those helmets fastened properly, just was a tremendous amount of force involved.

44 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I watched some American type football recently, there were helmets flying off players. I'm betting the players had those helmets fastened properly, just was a tremendous amount of force involved.

45 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

happy to see that.  but the video looked like even though she had a helmet on, it came off before she hit theI ground so I don't think she had it done up right

As a practising nurse I think she has witnessed enough head trauma to understand the benefits of doing the helmet strap up, as IAMHERE says it was a heavy impact and with the low quality of Thai helmets it is understandable that it came off, it saved her life and that is the main thing.

Some other good news, she had a visit from two high ranking police who apologised for the other copper's behaviour and said something will be done ( we all know not much) but at least an acknowledgement, visits by the Province Governor, Ministry of Health and Director of the hospital, so hopefully justice will be served. Her recovery is going much better than expected and thanks to all the well wishers I have told her everyone is behind her all the way (except the 'she was in the wrong lane' and 'she didn't do her helmet up' comments) Keep Ya posted.. Cheers Deano.

PS. as far as I am aware the woman hasn't been charged as reported, she has visited Praew twice now and seems genuinely remorseful and saddened.

I'm very happy to hear that she is recovering, albeit slowly, which is to be expected after a shunt like that and I hope she recovers to full health and can get back to her lifesaving job as a nurse as quickly as possible.

I would like to add though that the copper who happened to witness the whole thing was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard or teapot depending on your preference and should be dismissed. :sad: 

8 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Even if it seems she will be ok. She will never be the  same.

I am not talking of the psychical trauma

She lost her spleen. And  without this organ the body is

not complete anymore. Not only regarding immune system.

This means she deserves a very high compensation

Nobody should "say everything ok, forget it"  after she recovers, which I very much hope she will do

1 hour ago, dinooz57 said:

As a practising nurse I think she has witnessed enough head trauma to understand the benefits of doing the helmet strap up, as IAMHERE says it was a heavy impact and with the low quality of Thai helmets it is understandable that it came off, it saved her life and that is the main thing.

I am sure that is true. As a nurse, she would be well aware of the dangers of not wearing a helmet. But actually I don't think her helmet did come off.

The dark item that can be seen flying up in the air looks more like a bag than a helmet, possibly a laptop. It hits the ground to the left of the car close to the traffic island and slithers along the road for a short while. A helmet would not do that, it would bounce and roll for quite a distance along the road. At the end of the clip you can see the debris lying at the apex of the traffic island.

As far as the neglect that seemed so apparent, remember the very few people in this country get any first aid training. In those circumstances, it is best that the victim is disturbed as little as possible in order to prevent any further injury. Leave it to the professionals. She is very lucky that she did not suffer a serious spinal injury as well.

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I'm very happy to hear that she is recovering, albeit slowly, which is to be expected after a shunt like that and I hope she recovers to full health and can get back to her lifesaving job as a nurse as quickly as possible.

I would like to add though that the copper who happened to witness the whole thing was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard or teapot depending on your preference and should be dismissed. :sad: 

Perhaps some proper training for attending RTA's and knowing what to do would go a long way.

Those people on the scene must see this every day. Probobly just a few stop lights before.

Its pretty sick to see. Shame on those for not caring about this young girl.i have seen many accidents and thai people usually come to the victims aid very quickly.  Providing shade and comfort and i am always impressed by that.

I hope the report of brake failure actually meant brain failure.

Thai majority seem to have this more than any other asian country.

The majority of thai drivers drive like suicide maniacs. In the usa i might see reckless driving once in a weeks worth of heavy driving. But here i see it every minute on every street in every province.

Thai majority are just very bad drivers and the law allows it.

So as far as i am concerned the drivers can die but the innocents like this girl do not deserve this.

Hope the driver gets more than 500 bht fine. Hope she gets license revoked but she wont.

In  my country. This driver would be severly punished, lose her license, probobly jail time. For sure jail if the girl died. But in my country they would prove why the car did not stop. Was it brain or brake failure. It would be a fair trial.

1 hour ago, dinooz57 said:

Some other good news, she had a visit from two high ranking police who apologised for the other copper's behaviour and said something will be done ( we all know not much) but at least an acknowledgement, visits by the Province Governor, Ministry of Health and Director of the hospital, so hopefully justice will be served. Her recovery is going much better than expected and thanks to all the well wishers I have told her everyone is behind her all the way (except the 'she was in the wrong lane' and 'she didn't do her helmet up' comments) Keep Ya posted.. Cheers Deano.

PS. as far as I am aware the woman hasn't been charged as reported, she has visited Praew twice now and seems genuinely remorseful and saddened.

Wouldn't you be remorseful and saddened in an effort to reduce any serious traffic offence charges?  

4 hours ago, shaurene said:

That is so fantastic. Been wishing so much for her to be ok.

Hope to hell she can get a really good compo payment.

Compo payment??

An old mate of mine used to say he wanted a million in the bank and be able to lay around and watch TV all day.

He got his wish after a head on high speed car accident, three people dead.He lasted 7 years post accident with 24 hour care. No longer recognised his wife (who remarried while he was being cared for, he thought she was his sister) or his two kids.

No amount of money can compensate for that.

Archived