Cycling in Samui and the soi dogs

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:43 AM, gearbox said:

A lot of useful feedback, thanks everyone! I might get a cheap tesco/BigC bike, and if cycling is OK then get a Trek bike. 

In regards to dogs I'll do a bit more research, looks like something like this may help:

https://www.amazon.com/Halt-Dog-Repellent-1-5-118464/dp/B000E4Q7BS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

LOL. IMO, a waste of money where soi dogs are concerned. A rock is free and works by just pretending to throw it.

• 9 months later...

To report,

I was a few days in Bangkok and had a look at a few bike shops,  in the end ended up buying a new Trek Marlin 7 2017 in Samui for 13000 baht - it was discounted from 21k. So far love it. 

The ring road cycling during the peak hours is a bit problematic, but so far surviving it. I'll start doing full circle on it in the early hours soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t get me started on soi dogs

what pisses me of is the lack of responsible owners 

many people have fallen off motorbikes because of the yet of you run one over the law is on the dogs favour hence the driver gets trouble and not the owner 

I like dogs but people buy them either with no clue to look after them or in Forang cases they leave Thailand and dump them in temples 

they need to crack down on owners

shame a dog should suffer because the owners let their dogs sleep in the road all night 

then the dog gets hit by a car or bike 

suffers am injury then associates all cars and bike with pain and starts to hate them and chase them 

if I a dog run out in front of me I don’t brake too hard l. I am not going to risk swerving to hit an oncoming vehicle which i sore someone do before 

they are all up my road they chase tourists 

i an sick of them 

all these do good animal lovers hooks give these animals a home and not just feed them 

problem is allot of these street dogs are owned and do get fed they just left to do what hey want and chase who they want and bite who they want 

owners need to be fined or jailed for not taking care of their dogs

if one gets run over the owner should be fines and pay for damages to the vehicle 

you see how many people start to treat their dogs properly if they have to pay money if they are not on a lead in the street

yoj see how many people just buy them without caring where to put them 

I've always thought that soi dog was same as street dogs, and thereby no owners...????

It can be confusing 

allot of soi dogs have owners but are treated like soi dogs

its important to know that if you take a soi dog under your wing and it bites someone then you maybe considered to be the owner and you could be in trouble 

problem is there are a few on the road first the fights each other then they bread then the gang doubles

it can be very dangerous for people walking past with small children 

I have seen people killed by street dogs when hit whilst driving a motor bike 

plus its inpossible to know if they have had vaccine for rabies 

in nearly bough some farm land to put street dogs on and other animals that have been abandoned 

I wanted to let students run the place or any animal charity organization 

maybe one day be a place for people to get eduacation about animals 

i just dont have the money at the moment 

rather have ave them all secure in one place 

they walking the streets ready to get run over bitten or bite people 

Archived