Change from 2 year to 5 year driving licence.

worrab

Went to my Department of Land Transport this morning to change my licence from 2 years to 5 years. Very easy process that took about 40 minutes.

Went in with photocopies of the first page and the extension of stay page from the passport. A copy of my Tabian Baan and the requisite medical certificate finished the paperwork.  

Just a wait to have the photo taken, another wait for the completion of their paperwork and then walked out with the 5 year licence. 

Cost of 80 baht for the medical certificate and 505 baht for the licence.

Next renewal, no medical certificate will be required. 

• Like 1

Anyone who either went from a 2 year to a 5 year licence or renewed a 5 year licence must be in possession of a Non-Immigrant Visa. 

I went from a 5 year to a 2 year as I was no longer on a Work Permit (and relevant visa). 

If I'm not mistaken renewal is a fairly simple process without having to take the reaction/colour blindness tests and video. 

BUT... Aw Gawd... isn't that video totally moronic ???  it really does give an insight as to the mentality of many on the roads... It gives an insight that even those in the DLT consider the nation's drivers nothing more than juvenile minds. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, transam said:
You must have a long stay "O" visa or extension of for a 5 year..

The pattayaexpatclub instructions don't seem to specify that. Maybe you have a link? doesn't make sense allowing a tourist visa for a 2 year visa but not a 5 year

Up to the Pattaya expat club.

For a 5 year DL extension of stay or non-immigrant visa is (officially) required.

37 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, transam said:

The pattayaexpatclub instructions don't seem to specify that. Maybe you have a link? doesn't make sense allowing a tourist visa for a 2 year visa but not a 5 year

Does a "tourist" require a 5 year....?

Just now, scubascuba3 said:
12 minutes ago, transam said:
Does a "tourist" require a 5 year....?

Does a "tourist" require a 2 year? Yes if he comes every year

The authorities obviously think different, plus it is a money earner from the "tourist"..:stoner:

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 minutes ago, transam said:
The authorities obviously think different, plus it is a money earner from the "tourist"..:stoner:

Well i got a 2 year with a tourist visa and so have loads of others no problem, similar to bank accounts really. No big deal, more important things for them to worry about

It has only recently been changed from a one year license for Thai folks first license and tourist folk.....

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Why PM? This could be interesting information for other users as well.

Quite simply because the DLT in question maybe more relaxed in their approach to renewals than they should be. Would not wish to drop them in the proverbial. Hope you understand as you never know who reads these posts. 

1 minute ago, worrab said:

Quite simply because the DLT in question maybe more relaxed in their approach to renewals than they should be. Would not wish to drop them in the proverbial. Hope you understand as you never know who reads these posts. 

Your DLT should be following the rules that are in print which applies to everyone...If what you know is fact then there is no ploblem posting those facts here unless money is changing hands..

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, transam said:

The 2 year licence is a temporary licence and therefore can be obtained under a tourist visa. On a change to a 5 year licence which is a full licence then a "long stay" or "extension of stay" is required. Hope this explains the reasons.

The 2 year licence is a temporary licence and therefore can be obtained under a tourist visa. On a change to a 5 year licence which is a full licence then a "long stay" or "extension of stay" is required. Hope this explains the reasons.
We'll see when i apply, worse case is i get another 2 year one

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Your DLT should be following the rules that are in print which applies to everyone...If what you know is fact then there is no ploblem posting those facts here unless money is changing hands..

Oh come on Transam. How long have you lived here?? You know as well as I do that different government offices apply different rules. The same with Immigration Offices. Every Office applies different rules or their interpretation of them. I am very fortunate in using the Immigration Office in Hua Hin, as many will agree, as they are probably one of the easiest and best to have the pleasure of dealing with. The same goes for the DLT Office I have to visit.

Oh hang on I hear you think, you mention the Immigration Office but not the DLT Office? This is because the Immigration Office has always been well documented even before I moved here. But I am not going to be the one to publicly mention the name of this DLT Office and "drop them in it!"

And I will appreciate it if you do the same as I sent you a Private Message. 

3 minutes ago, worrab said:

Oh come on Transam. How long have you lived here?? You know as well as I do that different government offices apply different rules. The same with Immigration Offices. Every Office applies different rules or their interpretation of them. I am very fortunate in using the Immigration Office in Hua Hin, as many will agree, as they are probably one of the easiest and best to have the pleasure of dealing with. The same goes for the DLT Office I have to visit.

Oh hang on I hear you think, you mention the Immigration Office but not the DLT Office? This is because the Immigration Office has always been well documented even before I moved here. But I am not going to be the one to publicly mention the name of this DLT Office and "drop them in it!"

And I will appreciate it if you do the same as I sent you a Private Message. 

I didn't mention immigration and I have no PM...:stoner:

1 minute ago, transam said:

I didn't mention immigration and I have no PM...:stoner:

I apologise as I had sent PMs to others who asked which Office. 

I was using Immigration Offices as a comparison to the different approaches Government Offices take to interpreting the rules.

On 2/12/2018 at 9:22 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I'm not sure that's true, you can get a 2 year DL using a tourist visa, I've not read that a 5 year is different

I am sure... You cannot obtain a 5 Year Licence unless you have a Non-Immigrant Visa. 

On a Tourist Visa, Visa Exemption Stamp, an SE or PE Visa (Thai Elite) you can only obtain a 2 year Temporary Licence. 

This is whether renewing from an existing 2 year or a 5 year Licence or applying for the first time. 

• Like 1

Did it this morning in phuket. I went to immigration first and then DLT.
No video needed, just the reflex and color test.
I arrived at immigration at 8h30 and I
have my 2 driver liscence by 10am...
Very smooth!
As the expiry date is my birthday it gives me 5 years and 3 months!
Sweet!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, tomaway said:

Did it this morning in phuket. I went to immigration first and then DLT.
No video needed, just the reflex and color test.
I arrived at immigration at 8h30 and I
have my 2 driver liscence by 10am...
Very smooth!
As the expiry date is my birthday it gives me 5 years and 3 months!
Sweet!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If one works stuff out you can get near 6 years...:stoner: