US Passport Renewal

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to make an appointment to do the application.

Last month, I filled the application on line and printed it out.  Made an appointment at the Consulate and submitted the pre-filled in signed form.   Paid and left.  The appointment was to submit the application and pay, not "do" it in the sense of filling it in at the Consulate.

40 minutes ago, noise said:

The appointment was to submit the application and pay, not "do" it in the sense of filling it in at the Consulate.

What is the difference between the 2.

Some people might actually complete the application at consular section. It is not mandatory to do it online.

11 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

I applied for a renewal at the CM Consulate 11 Jan. I’m still waiting for their notification that they’ve received it so I can pick it up. When I request a status it’s “in the mail to us (Consulate)”.

It comes by diplomatic pouch directly from the Dept of State is what I was told when I asked, after being surprised at the quick time frame....

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What is the difference between the 2.

Some people might actually complete the application at consular section. It is not mandatory to do it online.

No, not mandatory.  I was just trying to insure readers knew there was that option.   For me, the difference is convenience both in time saved at the Consulate and the easy of typing in my information on the form, rather than hand writing it. 

And, as I read the web site, it will lengthen the amount of time it will take for you to get  your new passport.  Filling it out on line makes the electronic copy available to the State Dept.   

"2. Complete Form DS-82 online but do not submit it electronically. Overseas applicants must PRINT the completed form and bring it to the appointment. (If you do not have access to the necessary technology, you may obtain a blank copy of the form in our office on your appointment date. Use of the blank version will lengthen processing time.)"

I know that. Which made their response non helpful. Be that as it may, I checked the status using the link in the thread and received that same status- that it had been mailed to the Consulate but no date details are given. I wrote another email to the Consulate today and within one hour their boilerplate notification email to come pick up the passport was in my in box. Wonder if I hadnt asked this third time were they ever going to notify........