Daughters dual citizen issue

On 2/8/2018 at 11:36 AM, TonyClifton said:

no.

My son and I entered as Americans.  We got him his Thai Passport.  

So now he is in Thailand and he is Thai.  He has overstayed his entry by more than a year now.  What to do about US Passport?

Nothing.

He leaves now on his Thai Passport and enters with same.

No one will ever look at his US Passport again.  At least not in Thailand.

The thing about this whole issue as well is the Immigration guys were completely clueless. I figured if the girls entered and left on the Thai passport from here on out, there would never be an issue. I spoke with some people at the US BKK embassy when we were renewing their passports and they (off the record) stated that as long as they entered and left Thailand on the Thai passports, there would never be an issue, as the Thai Immigration system and the US State dept system are not linked and whatnot. We're flying to Singapore next month and outstamping their US passport and retuning on their Thai to just dust the issue.

12 minutes ago, AmericanSafety said:

Sorry ab out that. Yeah, we all left BKK. Wife & daughters live in Thailand; i flew in to meet them. Wife came up with daughters from Jomtien with only the US passports.

No worries, interesting though, as they must have flown out of BKK using their US passports then?

Much ado about nothing.  My son is Thai.  He was born in Chonburi. No matter what, he cannot be refused admission to his own country.  

We entered on our US passports 1.5 years ago.  We have all since departed on my US passport and their Thai Passports.  No one said a word.  How could he have an entrance stamp on a new passport.  I assume that they assume that he was born here, it's his first passport, so why would there be an entrance stamp?

We arrived from Vietnam and no one spoke a word to any of us.  

Nothing more to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost screwed up big time in this regard. I had to go back to Massachusetts to see my dad, who was dying from cancer. I booked and paid for  two tickets for me and my daughter, aged 12.

My wife had to stay behind to care for her own parents, who are also elderly.

But at the last minute I realized my daughter's Thai passport had expired. An expat friend of mine who used to be an Immigration Volunteer informed me that it would be impossible for her to fly out on her American passport, which was a shocking surprise to me.

It took a completely stress-filled day to get her an 'emergency' passport applied for here in Songkhla Town, then a great friend in Bangkok picked it up at the Foreign Ministry in Bangkok for me and let us crash at his place for a few hours before the nightmare flight back to Boston. (with a 12-hour layover in HK)

One of the most hectic experiences I have ever been through...We did make it back and got to spend time with my dad before he passed away. RIP to the best person I have ever known.

So I guess the lesson I learned is that  you need to keep two valid passports at all costs to take advantage of all the considerable privileges these kids have by having dual citizenship.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2018 at 10:50 PM, phuketsub said:

I almost screwed up big time in this regard. I had to go back to Massachusetts to see my dad, who was dying from cancer. I booked and paid for  two tickets for me and my daughter, aged 12.

My wife had to stay behind to care for her own parents, who are also elderly.

But at the last minute I realized my daughter's Thai passport had expired. An expat friend of mine who used to be an Immigration Volunteer informed me that it would be impossible for her to fly out on her American passport, which was a shocking surprise to me.

It took a completely stress-filled day to get her an 'emergency' passport applied for here in Songkhla Town, then a great friend in Bangkok picked it up at the Foreign Ministry in Bangkok for me and let us crash at his place for a few hours before the nightmare flight back to Boston. (with a 12-hour layover in HK)

One of the most hectic experiences I have ever been through...We did make it back and got to spend time with my dad before he passed away. RIP to the best person I have ever known.

So I guess the lesson I learned is that  you need to keep two valid passports at all costs to take advantage of all the considerable privileges these kids have by having dual citizenship.

Of course!  You have no idea what could happen here.  Having a USA passport for your daughter is invaluable.  What if they decided no one could leave Thailand but foreigners?  Think it couldn't happen?  I wish I had two passports.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2018 at 9:32 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Off topic,

But how do you imagine Thai immigration would know you entered another country on a different passport?

Fingerprints on entering countries is already here - Malaysia & Philippines have it. I imagine others to also.
Iris scanning is on the agenda.
These are held in a database with will match prints/scans to passports.
If your print shows as being connected to a different passport...

You can run, but you can't hide.