Beer Lao

Isan Farang

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am familiar with that beer having had it in Laos and Vietnam on several trips.  I agree it is nice.  Put I can buy a box of quality premium beer (on special )  for 2/3 of that price.  I am in Australia and am STUNNED to learn that the beer is that price. 

It makes no sense to me at all given how close Issan region is to Laos.  I understand why a quality beer from Belgium or Germany is expensive in Thailand but I really do not understand the pricing at all.  Is Thai beer really that bad?  

5 minutes ago, Durio said:

It makes no sense to me at all given how close Issan region is to Laos.  I understand why a quality beer from Belgium or Germany is expensive in Thailand but I really do not understand the pricing at all.  Is Thai beer really that bad?  

The increase is mainly tax, which is a bit strange as Laos is part of Asean.

The new boxes are even dodgier than previously. Got a couple and the bottom wasn't only poorly taped, but there was a gap about an inch wide covered in nothing but a double layer of adhesive tape. It's a nice beer though, much superior to the local brands.

Beer Laos is so cheap here in Laos. A big bottle of normal around 45B in a Lao restaurant (about half what the same size of Leo is in Thailand) and the same in shops - foreigner bars around 60B. Small dark and gold similar prices. It is not the beer price, it is the import taxes.

Yes. It’s all cheap gassy lager. As they say, same same but different.

Hence the price of BL Dark.

It used to be smuggled across by policemen for 1,000b a box (so they say).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Yes. It’s all cheap gassy lager. As they say, same same but different.

Hence the price of BL Dark.

It used to be smuggled across by policemen for 1,000b a box (so they say).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you happen to get that police guys contact info pencil me in for 25 box. or I need to sell the car and purchase a boat.

1 hour ago, RobFord said:

My favorite beer in Asia is Beer Lao Dark.

It cost 1250 baht a couple of years ago, and now its 1535. :saai:

It cost 1250 only a few months ago, I bought 3 boxes of regular Beer Laos a couple of weeks ago and it was about 1300 Baht and that was from Villa.

15 minutes ago, ukrules said:

It cost 1250 only a few months ago, I bought 3 boxes of regular Beer Laos a couple of weeks ago and it was about 1300 Baht and that was from Villa.

On Oct 17 Makro was charging 1.310 for the dark, and the lady told me yesterday it had been increased to 1.535

Perhaps Villa had some old stock, or the sell buy date was getting close.

2 hours ago, Randell said:

Yes somehow Beer lao has priced it self right out of the market. Yes it's great beer but the price is ridiculous. 

The price is different when it comes by longtail 

Archived