Beer Lao

Isan Farang

I got this badboy in Makro Ubon a few days ago for 840 baht. This is only 35 baht a bottle, and they only had the one box.

A couple days later, checked Ubon Yasothon, but they only had dark at 1500. I like dark, but too exy.

20180214_193257.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Goanna said:

I got this badboy in Makro Ubon a few days ago for 840 baht. This is only 35 baht a bottle, and they only had the one box.

A couple days later, checked Ubon Yasothon, but they only had dark at 1500. I like dark, but too exy.

20180214_193257.jpg

A couple days later, checked Ubon Yasothon  but they only had dark at 1500.

Whare and what outlet did you find the dark ?

You best check the expiry date as  I have never observed Beer Lao Light for 840 Baht per box at Makro.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, MJCM said:

@Isan Farang

Have you ever tried this Belgian beer called Hoegaarden ? This one also has a cloudy appearance. Have seen it for sale in Tops, I really like it !

hoegaarden2010.png

I would hope this beer is the best available going by the cost, I pulled a small bottle today at Lotus just to sample, its now in the fridge to await the verdict. The print on the label appears different from your picture ?

20180220_131634[1].jpg

20180220_131645[1].jpg

I would hope this beer is the best available going by the cost, I pulled a small bottle today at Lotus just to sample, its now in the fridge to await the verdict. The print on the label appears different from your picture ?
5a8bf4c055df5_20180220_1316341.thumb.jpg.68c338e86959cb52f2298a62acb6915a.jpg
5a8bf4d4e9493_20180220_1316451.thumb.jpg.a5bad855b768a41284699a277be0e888.jpg

It’s a lovely wheat beer with a hint of lemon. I don’t like the pink (rose) version. It’s always been an expensive beer. I remember paying £7 a pint in Chelsea about 15 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

It’s a lovely wheat beer with a hint of lemon. I don’t like the pink (rose) version. It’s always been an expensive beer. I remember paying £7 a pint in Chelsea about 15 years ago.

I hope I have lost my taste buds with all the chilly, at 300 Baht per bottle its not cheap, its makes the Guinness at 220 Baht at the Irish Pub look a good deal.

I spied the one with the red label

20180220_131702[1].jpg

Beer Lao is exceptional in Thailand. Or anywhere. On a par with Angkor from Cambodia. This discussion started about this. Not some cat or civet piss from the black forest. Hahahaaa. Just kidding. But beer lao is  a very good drop.

22 hours ago, highlander403 said:

as of lunch time today there were 2 cases on the shelf at makro ubon

As of 5pm yesterday (I reckon you must have been there in the morning of the same day) there were about 6 - and I bought one for Ubon Hash!

We have to put a limit of one bottle per hasher, given that it costs around twice the price (or more) of a can or small bottle of our staple beers (Leo/Singha/Federbrau/Archa/Chang in that order of popularity).

They must have stocked up after you left!

Stock-outs are thankfully unusual at that store. At Warin Makro on the other side of town I think that the rumours that they sell it there are wishful thinking, but I haven't looked for a couple of months. I've given up shopping for beer there as they only seem to have loads of high volume product (not even selling cases of 24 small Leo bottles IME).

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, DILLIGAD said:

That Hoegaarden is nice kit but in all truth I prefer the Franziskaner.

This for me is the best I have sampled on what's available at my location. Its been out of stock for a while and today when I went to Tops the girl informed me they just received a new batch. Try this one and give me your thoughts

IMG_1019.JPG

6 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

As of 5pm yesterday (I reckon you must have been there in the morning of the same day) there were about 6 - and I bought one for Ubon Hash!

We have to put a limit of one bottle per hasher, given that it costs around twice the price (or more) of a can or small bottle of our staple beers (Leo/Singha/Federbrau/Archa/Chang in that order of popularity).

They must have stocked up after you left!

Stock-outs are thankfully unusual at that store. At Warin Makro on the other side of town I think that the rumours that they sell it there are wishful thinking, but I haven't looked for a couple of months. I've given up shopping for beer there as they only seem to have loads of high volume product (not even selling cases of 24 small Leo bottles IME).

Oh, so there are 2 Makro in Ubon? Aha. I don't  visit often, but will have to look closer.

Hashers sounds like the Irish pub. Visited 2 weeks ago. Very nice place. Nice staff.

• 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, BShifty said:

Believe Micro Breweries are illegal in Thailand.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/9265138

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not correct. The system is letting them brew and all beer has to be consumed on the premises.https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/illegal-homebrewed-beers-thailand/index.html  Also 7 Elven is selling a craft beer made in Thailand but it is ship to Australia then shipped back and they pay the import fees.  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/food/2017/12/27/7-eleven-sell-cans-thai-craft-beer/

3 hours ago, puchooay said:

I've just bought a case of Lao Dark from Makro Buriram. There are 2 cases left.

Did you notice if there were any cartons of Beer Lao "Gold" while you were there puchooay?

44 minutes ago, puchooay said:

No. Only dark. I believe single bottles of Gold are available in Tops, Robinsons.

You are correct Makro do not sell Gold, only light and dark.

Tops at my location sell all 3 versions but only single bottles.

Archived