Video: "Brakes fail" as big truck meets bigger on southern Thai road

webfact

Video: "Brakes fail" as big truck meets bigger on southern Thai road

7pm.jpg

CCTV from several angles made up a video of a truck accident and its aftermath in the southern Thai border area of Sadao on Sunday.

The collision was between a 10 wheel truck loaded with logs and an 18 wheeler crossing all lanes at a U-turn on the Kanchanawanich Road.

The driver of the 10 wheeler Anat Lamut said that his brakes failed. He was left with head injuries and was seen being strapped to a stretcher.

His wife Sian Kaewsuwan, 48, who was with him suffered damage to a left ankle.

Container truck driver Anusat Ngapa, 28, was unhurt.

A motorcyclist on the other side of the road appeared to have been lucky and escaped too.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-12

18 wheeler just pulls half way across the road in front of the 10 wheeler...

Even without "brake failure" he would have done well to bring it to a halt safely, considering the speed he was going :)

Brain dead drivers is partly the problem, but check the road layout !!! It just encourages idiots to cause accidents....

i think that's down to the driver doing the u turn, pulled across the lanes with fast moving traffic approaching, not just the log lorry but cars as well. nothing to do with brakes failing, but all to do with having no time/distance to stop. lloks like a 3 axle wagon, so at most should safely be about 24- 28 tons, i would think with those logs it was more.

Not easy to tell, but the last video on the CCTV series of clips appears to show the logging driver try to go around the semi on the left, only to have that route cut off by the second semi who pulled out - quite illegally, IMO. Why the logging driver cut back into the first truck, I cannot fathom. It appears that the 10-wheeler logger could have made it around the first semi had it not been for the second one stopped and blocking the lanes. Not easy to tell on the small screen.

13 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

More bullshit all modern lorries have fail safe brakes

Yes ..... and if they do fail - the trailer brakes fail to a "brakes on" state.  If the brakes lose air pressure, they are applied with springs - which is handy in cases of detached trailers or loss of air pressure in the system.

Interesting, in a country that claims to have ice cream curing cancer, to be an education hub of SEA, is one step away from curing HIV, etc. etc. people are to stupid to install functional brakes in vehicles, and the lame excuse of 'brake failure' become an accepted reason not to punish ignorance and brain failure.

2 hours ago, noahvail said:

Not easy to tell, but the last video on the CCTV series of clips appears to show the logging driver try to go around the semi on the left, only to have that route cut off by the second semi who pulled out - quite illegally, IMO. Why the logging driver cut back into the first truck, I cannot fathom. It appears that the 10-wheeler logger could have made it around the first semi had it not been for the second one stopped and blocking the lanes. Not easy to tell on the small screen.

That was my take... but I would also wonder if the log truck didn’t “emergency brake” soon enough, because he believed he could get around the back of the first truck.

it seems to me that in Thailand, if the brakes don’t stop the vehicle, then they have failed... ergo brake failure. There seems to be a complete lack of awareness to effective stopping distance, which factor in road conditions, speed and vehicle weight.

Pulling out in front of a truck is stupid.... at best

3 hours ago, noahvail said:

at 18 and 19 secs, the lorry stops and never moves aagain until its hit, when he stopped at 18 secs his rear is still sticking into the nearside/slow/mcycle lane,. you can see through the gap in the tanker.

if that mcycle rider at 48 secs wasn't hit then he/she should buy a lot of lottery tickets,but not sure what he was doing out there

5 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Yes ..... and if they do fail - the trailer brakes fail to a "brakes on" state.  If the brakes lose air pressure, they are applied with springs - which is handy in cases of detached trailers or loss of air pressure in the system.

That's all good and well ,,,,But If the brakes ain't Adjusted  Before they go on a Road trip  Nothing will work as it supposed to Work,,,, That's  Stupid  Negligence     (That's what they call Brake Failure here )    

6 hours ago, Kinnock said:

That Old Hino Truck loaded with Logs has Air Over Hyd Brake System, No Air No Brakes, Plus he was speeding good chance he tried to Stop foot off the Gas & right foot on the Brake Pedal after pumping the brake pedal 4 or 5 times No Air, had he used his exhaust brake & geared down through the gear Box  plus keep the Rpm up @1,000 rpm could keep enough air to support the Plunger on the Master brake chamber, Anyway most all of them Old Trucks have same brake system,

Re Full Air Brake System no Air Double acting brake chambers lock the brakes as need Air to release the Spring to release the brakes,  Air over Hyd system is Dot 3 Brake fluid & after 60,000Km starts to break down PM Service states Brake Fluid must be changed every 60,000 but not enforced here in South East Asia, 

40% of my Hino Fleet of Trucks in Indonesia have similar Air over Hyd System Yeah we had a few Accidents due to driver error rining the brake pedal going downhill low rpm, but we followed the PM Procedures @ every 60,000 Km drain the Brake fluid, & full Master  brake chamber & wheel Brake inspection, 

Volvo for Life 

the speed the log truck was travelling he had no chance of stopping, and as can be seen in the video he even tries to change lanes to avoid the crash. Container driver should be charged with dangerous driving considering the speed all the traffic was travelling

Brakes (AKA as brains) failure, yet again. :post-4641-1156693976: 

Far too many drivers (and riders) who have no idea how to drive defensively or according to the conditions.

As a motorcyclist of 50+ years I always remember being taught as a newbie rider - "Always expect the unexpected".

Condolences to the deceased's family.

(Even s100's pinup guy seems unable/unwilling to deal with this huge road trauma problem. 'Helping' farmers must have been so easy. Yup I know, slightly OT).

On 12/02/2018 at 2:09 PM, noahvail said:

Why the logging driver cut back into the first truck, I cannot fathom.

It's possible that the logging driver made a quick decision to avoid the tanker and chose to hit the container instead.

Who knows what the tanker was carrying, but chances are good that it was something very nasty.

I see the truck bearing down on the lorry without any apparent variation in speed. The Truck does, however, change lanes.... It would seem that instead of stopping the Truck chose to anticipate passing the rear of the Lorry. When the Truck driver realised that the lorry had stopped across the road and was not continuing with its U-Turn it was too late.... Dangerous driving that's all I see here - Fortunately no innocents were hurt. 

Archived