Skype Hacked

Dellboy218

If anyone out there has a Skype account it may be a good time to check it.  My account has been changed to an email address  ending in rhyta.com.  I googled this and apparently it belongs to an automated email  generator.  I have just had the 6th live chat with Skype/Microsoft as I have just had my Visa bill with 200GBP added from Luxembourg.  Skype/Microsoft assure me its now prioritised etc etc.  I cancelled my account before the Visa bill was added but Microsoft take up to 4 weeks to close an account.  I have tried before to recover my account but it tells me I do not have any rights to my account.  Another quick message to Visa as well to block payment.

Empathy is ... and thanks for the heads-up, but, it is much more probable that you have been hacked, not Skype. I suggest immediately cancelling any credit cards you have, and getting new ones issued, changing your ATM pin codes, etc. And, review upgrade your AV/AM software.

from a recent post on the MS Skype help forum: You ain't alone

When you lose access to your account, whether it's been hacked or you forgot your password, and the security information connected to your account is inaccessible, only the account recovery form is the option to regain access to it.

There's no limit on the number of attempts to recover an account using the form. You can fill the recovery form out again from this link:https://account.live.com/acsr

As a suggestion, please use a device and connect to an Internet connection where a recent sign in has occurred as it will help in proving you're the owner of the account.

best wishes, ~o:37;

You say nothing about you computer or device security!

Have you run your Virus/Malware check programmes on ALL your devices, especially the one(s) you use to connect to Skype?

PS; Have you made similar post or asked the MODS to put this in the IT Forum as a warning?

Chances are your Skype passwords are now public knowledge. Further about losing money through internet use. There are some apps which the buyer is asked to submit their card details to make further purchases trouble free. I never have anything to do with these apps because, obviously, giving someone access to your card details is an open ended cheque and such details are a saleable item.

This is not a one off incident I know of a few similar incidents in the last week so it looks like Skype has been hacked. By all accounts if you contact Skype they will ask you to link your Skype account to your windows Microsoft account?  and they appear to have no idea what's happening.

Ken.

4 hours ago, cryo said:

By all accounts if you contact Skype they will ask you to link your Skype account to your windows Microsoft account?

Uh! 

Your "Skype account" is always connected to your "windows Microsoft account". Microsoft own Skype and you use your MS account to sign up/connect to Skype anyway!  What are you trying to say?  Are you a Member of Skype?

8 hours ago, davidst01 said:

your computer is compromised

How do you know that?

NO.  His Skype account MAY be compromised, but we do not know how or if the problem is connected with the OP's other MS accounts which are connected with the Skype account or if they are cross connected to external Accounts like GMail etc.   It is all surmise on both the OP's post and your post. 

There is little chance that the average "Joe" has been hacked (ie; targeted)  by some super "hacker" who has specifically hacked our tiny little computer/financial info.  They wont waste their time with the likes of us.

Most small/personal account "hacking/info breaches/credit card fraud/ID theft" are caused by info given away on social media, giving away info on bogus phone calls/Emails or inputting personal data into rogue websites or getting your bank card details skimmed/scammed/copied etc .

Please remember that there are basically two types of "hacking". 

1. Active where your date is trawled by what is usually called "malware" and "passive" where you give the data away.  Neither system will use both as it gives them away!

I suggest people take care of their own data and stop blaming others when they "allow" it to get into unauthorised hands.

As the Scots say "Caw canny"

On 2/13/2018 at 9:21 AM, davidst01 said:

run malware check. your computer is compromised. change ALL your passwords on a different computer. 

My computer is not compromised, not according to Comodo and Malware Bytes which are running all the time on all my devices.  The first indication came whilst I was at sea on a ship with no internet and I had not used Skype for some time before that.   Account recovery is not an option as it says I do not have any rights to the account.  I have tried multiple times.  I let a nice young Lady in The Bangkok Bank cut my card in 2.  They will now be communicating with Microsoft  I believe.  I have closed my Skype account and now using an alternative.  Just to add to that, I have never used the Microsoft account, that just appeared when they bought Skype.   Google appears to be much sharper in this case than Microsoft.  The email address involved which ended with ryhta.com I included in an email text to a friend.  Google instantly rejected it accusing me of being a spammer!  Oddly enough Microsoft on a Live Chat session sent an email to confirm my identity, unfortunately sending an email to the hacker and not me. I have not added this to the IT forum but if the mods think it useful then by all mean they can move this over there.

On 2/13/2018 at 1:16 PM, cryo said:

This is not a one off incident I know of a few similar incidents in the last week so it looks like Skype has been hacked. By all accounts if you contact Skype they will ask you to link your Skype account to your windows Microsoft account?  and they appear to have no idea what's happening.

Ken.

Thanks for that info Ken and I got the same impression.  Microsofts only answer is account recovery which is impossible and let your bank handle it.  Of course that does not recover any funds you had with Skype at the time. 

Just to update this thread.  I have just had another live chat with Skype/Microsoft and am relieved to find a change in attitude.  An immediate acknowledgement that the account had been hacked and details have now been forwarded to their accounts department to see what the account value was before the hack and recovery of any funds ordered by the hacker.

Archived