Taking My Son out of Thailand

leeedwards

I’m going out of the country with my son using his Thai passport here. My wife’s not coming. It’s just a holiday and we have return tickets. Is there anything I need to do or is it no problem to take my son out of Thailand without his mother? I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that I need something in writing from her . Can anyone advise please. 

Edited by leeedwards

Go with your wife to the local amphoe office and obtain a letter giving you permission from you wife to take your son out of the country. It cost me 20 baht.

I have taken my daughter out of the country 2 times and never been asked for the letter, but its better to be safe. I will be taking my daughter to the UK in April and will get a new letter just in case.

I should say my daughter has my surname on her passport.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

Go with your wife to the local amphoe office and obtain a letter giving you permission from you wife to take your son out of the country. It cost me 20 baht.

I have taken my daughter out of the country 2 times and never been asked for the letter, but its better to be safe. I will be taking my daughter to the UK in April and will get a new letter just in case.

I should say my daughter has my surname on her passport.

Thanks Mick. My son also has my surname. 

I took my son (he is nine years old), to the UK over xmas 2017 without his mum, he has both a Thai and UK passport (both show my surname), got stopped at immigration, for 15 mins, had a letter from his mum, (which included her telephone No), copy of his birth cert and copy of his mum's ID.

The officer spoke only to explain they were simply doing their job,. Funny enough boarder control in the UK also spoke to my son to ask him his name.

I have taken my (minor) son many times outside Thailand, without his mother and with his valid passport only.

Never had any problem...maybe the fact that he bears my family name helps...don't know...no officer ever asked for anything else...

20 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Out of interest.... You guys that left, which queue do you use. 

Good question!

Personaly I always use a Thai passport counter, since one of the 2 passport holders is Thai.

Until now I never have had a problem with that...

• Like 1

We took our 1 year old out the country together and immigration asked to see his birth certificate. They told my wife that they just need to see the birth certificate for the first time and he'll be on record after that and wont need it next time. 

13 hours ago, misterphil said:

We took our 1 year old out the country together and immigration asked to see his birth certificate. They told my wife that they just need to see the birth certificate for the first time and he'll be on record after that and wont need it next time. 

This is a good point: IF this is the Childs first exit from Thailand there exists a far higher probability of questions from Immigration upon departure. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, brain1 said:

I took my son (he is nine years old), to the UK over xmas 2017 without his mum, he has both a Thai and UK passport (both show my surname), got stopped at immigration, for 15 mins, had a letter from his mum, (which included her telephone No), copy of his birth cert and copy of his mum's ID.

The officer spoke only to explain they were simply doing their job,. Funny enough boarder control in the UK also spoke to my son to ask him his name.

IMO, if immigration didn't check on a child with a single adult, they would be derelict in their responsibility. Too many scumbags trying to traffick children now. Even single women should be suspect, as could be trying to take child under dispute ( divorce case ) away from husband with rights, and not unknown for women to be bad people.

• Like 1