Air quality is fine in Thailand as Thais say Chinese are exaggerating

webfact

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/13/2018 at 3:58 PM, Antioc said:

The wife and I ended up going to DuHome and getting a Hitachi EP-A3000 Air Purifier for just under 5,000 Baht.  It has made all the difference to sleeping and wellbeing.  The specs are on the Internet.

Although 100 m3/h sound like a lot, it is only removing 60 mg of particles a day at PM2.5 at 25 with a power consumption of 10 Kwh/gram.

Cleaning up pollution is expensive, just ask BP!

On 13/02/2018 at 10:13 PM, Felt 35 said:

:whistling:Why do so many of the cyclists where a face mask now but not 15 years ago...why do 75% of the population 24/7 sneeze, coughing and seems to carry a flu constantly.......

Because better education due to the Internet would be my best guess.... 

15+ years ago everyone didn't have access to the Internet 24/7 like they have now and had to rely on the governments yearly statement of air quality 

6 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

They have also done a lot. 2-stoke bikes were phased out 20 years ago. Buses are slowly being converted to CNG. Big power plants near the city are all burning natural gas.

Of course more can be done, but that will always be the case. 

I see two strokes every day around bkk 

Lots of delivery guys still use them for some reason

The number of diesel powered vehicles used within the Thai cities I've ever been to should be an  indicator to part of the poor air quality issue here .. The baht buses in Pattaya .. just look at the black soot blasting out of the back of some of those when they're pulling away which is often indicative of a lack of maintenance .. ( filters replacement , EGR valve maintence ,  P C S maintenance etc ) Does that come as surprise here .. The number of private diesel powered 4x4's ( fortuna's and the like ) used within the cities .. All on top of trucks and older buses constantly moving thru the cities .. And sure there is a move to replace a lot of Buses and trucks with cleaner burning Gas conversions ( the torpedo looking cylinders stacked behind the cab on truck motive units ) but there are still enough of the older rear engined buses ( the colorfully painted jobbies ) and trucks often older tipper trucks still blasting out clouds of soot chugging around  .. Central London has increasingly tightened the screw on diesel powered vehicles by the imposition of swingeing fee's and a total ban in some area's of London is forthcoming .. Somehow though you wouldn't expect that to come to major Thai cities soon .. Give this a go next time you park you're bike on a main road or near a jct for a couple of hours in downtown Patt' .. on you're return just wipe the palm of the hand lightly over the seat and check the diesel soot accumulation on you're steed .. 

3 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

The number of diesel powered vehicles used within the Thai cities I've ever been to should be an  indicator to part of the poor air quality issue here .. The baht buses in Pattaya .. just look at the black soot blasting out of the back of some of those when they're pulling away which is often indicative of a lack of maintenance .. ( filters replacement , EGR valve maintence ,  P C S maintenance etc ) Does that come as surprise here .. The number of private diesel powered 4x4's ( fortuna's and the like ) used within the cities .. All on top of trucks and older buses constantly moving thru the cities .. And sure there is a move to replace a lot of Buses and trucks with cleaner burning Gas conversions ( the torpedo looking cylinders stacked behind the cab on truck motive units ) but there are still enough of the older rear engined buses ( the colorfully painted jobbies ) and trucks often older tipper trucks still blasting out clouds of soot chugging around  .. Central London has increasingly tightened the screw on diesel powered vehicles by the imposition of swingeing fee's and a total ban in some area's of London is forthcoming .. Somehow though you wouldn't expect that to come to major Thai cities soon .. Give this a go next time you park you're bike on a main road or near a jct for a couple of hours in downtown Patt' .. on you're return just wipe the palm of the hand lightly over the seat and check the diesel soot accumulation on you're steed .. 

Way too little being done way too slowly.

Generally don't get involved in the he said/she say/they assert stuff her in fantasy land.  I do know I am coughing every morning the last couple of weeks and expelling gobs of goo from the nasal cavity.  In my learned opinion, the air is bad.  Believe it or not; your choice.  Cheers....  Doc

I see two strokes every day around bkk 
Lots of delivery guys still use them for some reason

There is nowhere near the amount of 2 strokes around now compared to 1995,
on my first visit to BKK the noise when they all roared away from the red lights
was quite something to behold/endure
Almost like being at Silverstone for the F1 !

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2018 at 4:22 AM, webfact said:

Talerngsak Petchsuwan

Let me guess. This guy and all of the other <censured> <censured> <censured> (vulgar synonym of dysfunctional persons) are sitting in their little A/C offices saying this. I bet they also have an air purifier working. If they aren't, they are <censured> <censured> <censured> .

I am very angry when I read these <censured> <censured> <censured>  telling us it is normal FOR THIS YEAR.

No kidding <censured> <censured> <censured> . But, it is ABnormal any other time.

I wish I could hit these guys on the head to shake off their personal, egocentric, entitled problems!

On 2/14/2018 at 5:34 PM, Sunderland said:

So many ways that the pollution in Bangkok could be reduced. But there is zero interest in doing so.

Mai pen rai.

Because the leaders breathe a/c air probably thinking that it is getting filtered (the smarter ones know better). Do they care about their children? Themselves? The rest of the population in Issaan,... and they are surprised they don't vote for them. Rolling eyes! But, then they can have a coup, so ... it really does not matter. LOL

This guy is the same as the types who are drunk, drive vehicles that show they are better than the rest, and who hit a poor scooter driver and get off in courts by paying the judge.

Remember this. He is the same type. They are many of them like this. Absolute contempt.

The word "entitled" does not even do these people justice.

On 2/13/2018 at 4:22 AM, webfact said:

While admitting that it was a bit unhealthy

Like it is a bit spicy. 

Like I am a little bit dead.

OMG.

No wonder they need to have coups to impose this kind of logic on the rest.

Remember there are many of them like him, all the way to people who wear luxury watches and can get away with the whole thing. Of course, no one can protest. Thailand has a democracy.

Let me guess. He loves those shirts that are a little bit yellow. 

These people need to grow up, learn to accept responsibility, and face reality.

Which is worst? Losing face or losing money?

Of course, he is saying this from the pristine environment that an A/C office provides. Does have a filter on that unit?

12 hours ago, YetAnother said:

don't really see the issue; the last time the thais told any international truth was before any of us were born

Well certainly since the doors opened for tourist in the 70s and the much more stringent gaze of the world was on them.. they couldnt pull the ole " tell everyone a happy story and they will forget any issues" they feed the general public here.

Archived