American who killed Australian tourist in Pattaya bar fight has murdered before

webfact

15 minutes ago, bamboozle40 said:

I'm haven't researched this, but I was told America has an agreement with Thailand, where if an American citizen is charged and jailed in Thailand, they will only serve 2 years and then be returned to America to finish off their sentence???

Just had a quick search and can't find anything which upholds what I heard so probably a load of???

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, jvs said:

And yet a country that knows of his criminal past lets him have a passport and travel!!!!!Well done very advanced western country keep up the good work.They seem to let anybody out but try to get in!!!

Absolutely spot on. The two year sentence is baffling. And then he gets a passport, madness.

Robb was no gentleman either..

I saw a similar thing before,  a large drunk grabbed a girl behind the bar and pulled her across the bar, but quick as a flash another Thai bar girl came up behind him and belted him on the nut with the thick end of a snooker cue. Could have killed him, but what else could she do?  I don't think it will be a murder charge, but manslaughter.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

If I am wrong - my apologies, but where does it say that the CCTV footage was given to the police? #Post Number?  Thread title?  - I have followed both threads on this incident, and can not see any reference to the CCTV being given to the police. However. I seem to recall some reference being made to it "not working" but not 100% sure of this.

Just checked and yes, this forum didn't talk much about that.

I only found this reference to the CCTV being available:

There are many media with better up-to-date info that this forum... ;)

8 hours ago, UncleE said:

In fact picking up the waitress by the head until her feet were off the ground is a nasty thing to do.   So I'd say the American guy was just neutralizing an idiot, helping the girl out.   And .......

Admittedly I haven’t read everything... but... I have only noted that the story regards picking the bar girl up by the throat (until she turned blue) has come from the testimony of the killer, and announced by the cop (almost as an acceptable excuse, as he was protecting a wee Thai lass)... is there any other source than the killer?

i wont dispute that he may have laid a hand on her... or her throat... but I very very very much doubt that the Aussi guy would have really harmed the girl... or would have been allowed to harm the girl, by the girls collectively, not to mention the locals that looked in to see what the fuss was about, but didn’t jump in because it was a beef between two farangs

the physical assault on the girl, (if true, as Ruby’s say no one else was harmed, including employees) is unacceptable.... Totally unacceptable... but this action pales in comparison to the retribution meeted out by a vigilante.... and anyone suggesting that this is karma at work, needs to check there s### at the door

None of us was present so hard to say what ignited the argument, leading to the fatal brawl in Paradise City.

Nobody here can testify how the victim behaved.  But nevertheless, nothing..nothing can justify manslaughter.

The culprit is a dangerous recidivist to society.....should get the chair, or get life !

1 hour ago, delh said:

Absolutely spot on. The two year sentence is baffling. And then he gets a passport, madness.

Once a person has served their time, and served their probation -- there full rights should be restored.  The only time the passport (Identification) is withheld is when owe the government/embassy money (not taxes - but things like emergency funds or child support) or when there is a warrant or pending court appearances where your movement has been restricted.   I know that there are confidentiality or abuse rights with regards to criminal records in many countries, but it would be nice if they created a sort of "clearing system" where immigration could request limited verification of eligibility.  Something like the country where someone is travelling to sends a list of nationals to an Interpol clearing system, and then that is forwarded onto the appropriate countries asking if a given person is eligible to enter (with the given countries requirements - i.e. any criminal conviction - 2 years, any murder conviction - banned, any drug possession 5 years, any drug trafficking 15 years etc.).  If there is a conviction / end of sentence within the timeframe it would come back as ineligible (protecting the confidentiality of the actual record but giving immigration departments tools to reject those that should not be allowed in).

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

the physical assault on the girl, (if true, as Ruby’s say no one else was harmed, including employees) is unacceptable.... Totally unacceptable... but this action pales in comparison to the retribution meeted out by a vigilante.... and anyone suggesting that this is karma at work, needs to check there s### at the door

karma at work - does not mean that the person who mete out vigilante justice is not in himself not worthy of punishment...  It can be both karma at work and a criminal offence worthy of punishment to the full force of the law at the same time.  Unfortunately right now the person is not here to defend their own reputation, so it is the justice system that must stand in for him.  It is not that easy to kill someone with a "lucky punch" or two... not easy at all...  the odds that this was just self-defence are long indeed.  

Gee I thought people with criminal records were being turned away at immigration and this guy was convicted of murder in the United States lol. I knew that was bullcrap now I'm not so worried about my unpaid speeding ticket anymore lol.  Even if he was tried as a juvenile a murder conviction would still be in NCIC.  Especially since he did prison time and was on Felony Probation.  I've been hearing stories about people supposedly being turned away because of criminal records and then I read this story of a convicted murderer getting in the country but unfortunately he has apparently killed again.  

Actually I am going to pay my speeding ticket in the states I recently found out that the lawyer I hired to take care of it before I left dropped the ball on it, he even refunded my legal fee and apologized.  Although I still have to take care of it or else my license will be suspended next time we go back to visit the states one of these days when I try to rent a car.  

Anyway this story will probably be national news in the states an American charged with murder in Thailand.  I'm sorry that anyone was killed at all but I'm very glad that it at least wasn't a local national Thai person because when stuff like this happens it gives all of us foreigners a black eye.  I hate reading stories like this especially when it's a fellow American who did something wrong.  I just hope most Thais understand that this person doesn't represent us all.  Something else I just remembered was when I was a kid in Arizona there was a Thai national who murdered something like 8 monks I think it was at a Buddhist temple in Phoenix back in the 80's.  That was huge news for years and extremely tragic but it's an example that anyone can do evil it doesn't matter what country you're from evil is everywhere unfortunately.  

11 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

karma at work - does not mean that the person who mete out vigilante justice is not in himself not worthy of punishment...  It can be both karma at work and a criminal offence worthy of punishment to the full force of the law at the same time.  Unfortunately right now the person is not here to defend their own reputation, so it is the justice system that must stand in for him.  It is not that easy to kill someone with a "lucky punch" or two... not easy at all...  the odds that this was just self-defence are long indeed.  

I must confess, I don’t really understand your reply to my post...

“And whatever deed he does, that he will reap”... (karma)... the Aussi allegedly  assaulted a bar girl.... and was killed for it....  Not very karmic... very unbalanced.

But yes... the justice system must stand up for the dead Aussi, but unfortunately the local justice system isn’t very good (that’s a personal opinion and I accept other may disagree)

and... it’s not uncommon for people to be killed with one punch as evidenced by laws being changed to allow for murder charges for one punch killings ( by whatever name)

that not withstanding.... I agree 100% with your last sentence.

Americans, feel free to have a dig, but I believe this is an example (or consequence) of the ethos to bring overwhelming force to bear on an enemy... shock and awe.. all that ra ra stuff being force fed to the nation as a means of dealing with any threat.

14 minutes ago, Koratjohn77 said:

Gee I thought people with criminal records were being turned away at immigration and this guy was convicted of murder in the United States lol. I knew that was bullcrap now I'm not so worried about my unpaid speeding ticket anymore lol.  Even if he was tried as a juvenile a murder conviction would still be in NCIC.  Especially since he did prison time and was on Felony Probation.  I've been hearing stories about people supposedly being turned away because of criminal records and then I read this story of a convicted murderer getting in the country but unfortunately he has apparently killed again.  

As of the end of 2015, Canadian Immigration has access to NCIC database.  The US has access to the CPIC operated by the RCMP -- so criminal records within continental North America are integrated for border services.

No excuse for attacking a woman ......... whatever the circumstances. I agree that this pair of "quality tourists" are not that welcome here in Pattaya & Thailand needs to clean up it's act & refuse entry to protect the general public. It seems to me to be a dispute between two "hotheads" who are equally to blame. One paid the ultimate price for his actions & the other will regret his actions for a very long time ............. they both got their just rewards if you ask me. I've no sympathy for either of them. Coming to Thailand as a guest should be enjoyable ............ I've seen this type of disgraceful behaviour much too often here, which is mainly fuelled by alcohol in bars over women. Can't understand it really personally ........... as if there are not enough women to go around?? As an expat living here for years I really think screening of these individuals prior to travel in their own countries is a must & Thailand must place stringent visa rules & insist upon it. ... ie. "One strike & you're out!" It's too big a problem for Thailand once these individuals arrive here, plus not banning them gives them the opportunity to reoffend on their next visit ......... the fact that living here as a "farang" you do get tarred with the same brush when this happens   ............. & get treated accordingly!!

14 hours ago, jvs said:

And yet a country that knows of his criminal past lets him have a passport and travel!!!!!Well done very advanced western country keep up the good work.They seem to let anybody out but try to get in!!!

I hate to say it. But he did his time, why not be allowed his freedom? 

14 hours ago, jvs said:

I imagine the US was happy to be rid of him. Now they may be permanently rid of him as a loose cannon won't last long the the bkk Hilton.

6 hours ago, Donotdisturb said:

in LOS since 1997. been in pats twice (for meeting). hated its sleazy nature. never been in soi 6 because i'm not desperate and because i'm not attracted to hookers nor feel home around the type of males they attract.

Glad to hear it.  Odd for you to be in an expat forum for people living in Thailand but I guess to each to his own.  Honestly, single guys who go to bars or drink with women and have fun etc.. has been around long before your born.  I do not condemn people as even the Thais do not do that or don't you know that?  Living in LOS you should know this.  Personally there is much worse in other places and countries.  Thailand is peaceful and a beautiful country.  Surprised you had a business meeting in Pattaya honestly but it is what it is.  Your point is heard but I do not condemn people and Buddhists do not either.  Living in LOS you should really know that.  There are many good families and people in Pattaya, not just your view of it or wether the activity is right or wrong.  The details provided were just related to what was seen.  

11 hours ago, balo said:

I'm surprised to hear he got out of prison after serving only 2 years! I believe the US has some of strictest laws when it comes to murder. Oh he is not black, maybe that's why. Probably paid for a good lawyer.

I believe it was on a technicality after making an appeal, and was something to do with documents/warrants used for the original trial being only faxed copies and not original wet ink signed.

5 hours ago, domdom said:

taking snap of someone without having his approval and publish them is illegal

It's not.

Simply not hearsay.  Ask the Bar Manager.  I stayed at that Bar during the entire period and had a room upstairs.  So I saw him, listened to him and the details I state are first hand with the exception of the incident where he was hit as I did not personally see that.  Get your details correct.  First person , means direct, so I hope you understand now.

19 hours ago, ezzra said:

One man is a convicted murder, the deceased is a known trouble maker and a bully, what a fine

specimen of human being Pattaya is attracting, almost safe enough to have our monthy

church meetings there...

Yes there are two churches out on Sukhumvit that would accommodate you, close by to the Father Ray foundation and the orphanage.

15 hours ago, speckio said:

If was here on vacation he wouldn't require a visa. Americans can come and go as they please as long as they don't overstay 30 days.

I mean its possible he is an Ex-pat but I didn't see anything about him actually making his home in Thailand.

True. I was posting on the assumption he had obtained a visa as implied in an earlier post.

14 hours ago, moe666 said:

jeez you have a chip on your shoulder about 90 day reporting. I guess you were unaware of that little requirement when you moved to Thailand

If it actually served a purpose I wouldn't care about it, but it doesn't so, yes, I do have a chip on my shoulder about it, as I don't like being treated like I'm on probation. And, yes, I was unaware of it when I moved here, as  it wasn't a requirement 25 years ago.

19 hours ago, Get Real said:

I guess he will have a better chance of a long prison stay in Thailand. We can hope for anything between 15-20 years. Hopefully! 

Probably right about "length of stay", but that really bugs me when murderers get out of jail at all. First degree murder or manslaughter with violence should mean actual life without parole, till they die in jail.

Archived