Kad Chin Haw open?

palomnik

51 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

Likely referring to the extension of the Muslim market off Soi 1 Changklan. It sits behind Kalare.

That's the one. Since a large contingent is Muslim Chinese (who as far as I know don't celebrate New Year) it may be open. It runs from 6 a.m. to noon on Fridays. You'll see a variety of things for sale that you'll have a hard time finding elsewhere in town, like pickled bean curd and other pickled vegetables, Chinese steamed buns, real Chinese congee, vegetables that you may not see anywhere else in town except occasionally at Muang Mai market (like asparagus), fresh herbs, Chinese sausage and Burmese spices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Likely referring to the extension of the Muslim market off Soi 1 Changklan. It sits behind Kalare.

1 hour ago, palomnik said:

That's the one. Since a large contingent is Muslim Chinese (who as far as I know don't celebrate New Year) it may be open. It runs from 6 a.m. to noon on Fridays. You'll see a variety of things for sale that you'll have a hard time finding elsewhere in town, like pickled bean curd and other pickled vegetables, Chinese steamed buns, real Chinese congee, vegetables that you may not see anywhere else in town except occasionally at Muang Mai market (like asparagus), fresh herbs, Chinese sausage and Burmese spices.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to investigate. I love to cook Chinese dishes, but there are a few ingredients that are often hard to find in the local fresh markets or even Wararote.  I'm on the lookout for dried lily buds...

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

I forgot to reply to a guy in another thread, but it's also where you can buy really good black bean sauce. Enter through the entrance closest to chang klan, walk past the motorcycle parking area and keep an eye out for the stalls on the left hand side for jars with an all red label and lid. I think the label with a slightly yellow logo is Sichuan sauce. Both about 50bt but it's been a while for me.

Tasty snacks like samosas can be found on the middle row.