Grip strength and ageing

nausea

I started grip strength exercises to improve my blood pressure levels, now I read there's some correlation between grip strength and morbidity in old age. What do you think? Like for a lot of us guys with hip and knee problems grip type exercises are the only thing left. 

Any exercise is good.

I use this test to determine my likelihood of living longer.     I score a 10 as I can both sit and rise completely unaided.

To prepare, get into some comfortable clothes and remove any shoes or socks, so your feet are bare. Make sure the space around you is clear. Stand up straight and relax.

Step one, without leaning or holding onto anything, lower yourself into a sitting position with your legs crossed on the floor. Step two, stand back up, but try to do it without using anything other than your legs. That means you shouldn't be pushing off with your hands, don't brace with your knees, avoid using your forearms or the sides of your legs.

Everybody starts with 10 points.

You subtract a single point each time you do any of the following things, in either step. 

Minus one point if you have to use your hand, forearm, knee, side of the leg or you put your hand on your knee or thigh in step one.

Then minus another point if you have to do any of those things again in step two.

Take away half a point if you lose your balance.

Scoring

Good: 8-10 points means you're doing well. Your overall fitness and balance are good and you have the greatest life expectancy.

Fair: 3.5 -- 7.5 points is a problem. Your fitness and balance are weak and you're twice as likely to die in the next six years as people who scored in the good range.

Poor: 0-3 points should be a loud warning. Your fitness level is low and you're five times as likely to die in the next six years as people who scored in the good range.

• Like 1

No grip left. Hands hurt. Can't use one of those hole-in-the-floor toilets. Legs far too weak. So I swim. Every year I get the same condo with a good pool for laps and get in 50 miles in three months, with the last month doing a mile a day. Doc says heart, lungs, BP all fine. BTW, I have smoked a pipe for 55 years.