Foreign manager of Koh Phangan hostel faces deportation for cannabis possession

webfact

11 hours ago, mogandave said:

I never used the term "junkie", you threw that in. I would not consider a pot-head a junkie, it is my understanding a junkie is someone strung-out on "junk".

Incidentally, 64,000 people in the US died of opiates in 2017, up 500% in three years. I am sure it is not related to the legalization of recreational marijuana.

My original response was to someone saying to remove the junkie from this country, or something along those lines. You were not even in the convo at that stage 

40 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Because he can read.:coffee1:

I remember the article only stated that he provide his work permit when asked. I don't remember the article commenting on the status of pot-head's work permit or whether it was a "proper" work permit. 

6 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

My original response was to someone saying to remove the junkie from this country, or something along those lines. You were not even in the convo at that stage 

Be that as it may, when you responded to me, you seemed to be berating me for using the term.

Sorry for the confusion.

14 hours ago, mogandave said:

I never used the term "junkie", you threw that in. I would not consider a pot-head a junkie, it is my understanding a junkie is someone strung-out on "junk".

Incidentally, 64,000 people in the US died of opiates in 2017, up 500% in three years. I am sure it is not related to the legalization of recreational marijuana.

You are aware that there is a huge crisis with prescription opiates that is erupting in the USA? That's the reason right there.

Take a look at which states it's focused in as well - studies are starting to show an decrease in opiate overdoses in those states that have legalised weed.

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2016/04/26/is-marijuana-a-gateway-drug/overdoses-fell-with-medical-marijuana-legalization

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2128770-medical-marijuana-may-be-a-salve-for-the-us-opioid-epidemic/

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Thanks 1

On 2018-02-15 at 1:12 PM, crazykopite said:

Closing down hostels has a knock on effect for all local business the little Thai restaurants or shops in the nearby vicinity where these hotels must now be feeling the loss of business. Soon there will be a lot of businesses being closed down which in the end will result in an increase in theft / robberies because people need a means of surviving all this is not good for such a small island .

You must be joking, the place is heaving with tourists. One druggie (who should know the rules) won't effect anything. 

You are aware that there is a huge crisis with prescription opiates that is erupting in the USA? That's the reason right there.

Take a look at which states it's focused in as well - studies are starting to show an decrease in opiate overdoses in those states that have legalised weed.

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2016/04/26/is-marijuana-a-gateway-drug/overdoses-fell-with-medical-marijuana-legalization

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2128770-medical-marijuana-may-be-a-salve-for-the-us-opioid-epidemic/

So you’re claiming opioid related deaths have decreased in states that have legalized medical marijuana?

57 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So you’re claiming opioid related deaths have decreased in states that have legalized medical marijuana?

According to Professor Collen Barry - yes! The article from the New York Times states:-

Overdoses Fell with Medical Marijuana Legalization

Colleen Barry is a professor at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and co-director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Mental Health and Addiction Policy Research.

"But using state-level death certificate data from 1999 to 2010, my colleagues and I found that the annual rate of opioid overdose deaths decreased substantially — by 25 percent on average — following the passage of medical marijuana laws, compared to states that still had bans."

Edited by sambum

On 2/16/2018 at 7:41 AM, catman20 said:

you may slum it here in some rented room and drive some crappy car but i dont, so dont judge everyone here the same as your self.

do u want to work forever ? or be in a country where theirs no women or the women that may be available are old enough and fat enough to be you mom? id like to know what financial asset you've acquired over your life times work. :cheesy::cheesy: we could have a pissing contest :cheesy: ud lose that one also :cheesy:

and he never replied to me for the pissing contest either. another wana be.:cheesy:

According to Professor Collen Barry - yes! The article from the New York Times states:-

Overdoses Fell with Medical Marijuana Legalization
Colleen Barry is a professor at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and co-director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Mental Health and Addiction Policy Research.

"But using state-level death certificate data from 1999 to 2010, my colleagues and I found that the annual rate of opioid overdose deaths decreased substantially — by 25 percent on average — following the passage of medical marijuana laws, compared to states that still had bans."

Yet the CDC says opiate deaths are up 500%.

12 hours ago, mogandave said:

No, I'm

1 - Disputing your insinuation that the increase in opiate deaths is due to liberalisation of marijuana laws

2 - Highlighting that the predominant contributor to that increase is prescription opiates

3 - Providing links to studies that indicate states with liberal marijuana laws may have suffered less impact from the opiate epidemic relative to those that have less liberal ones.

In terms of 3, it's interesting to compare these two maps:

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/statedeaths.html
https://thecannabisindustry.org/state-marijuana-policies-map/

Very few states that have legalised *recreational* marijuana had a statistically significant increase in opiate related deaths. Of those with legalised *medical* usage that did, a number of them implemented that legalisation after the period those death stats refer to.

Group.png

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

The five states with the highest rates of death due to drug overdose were West Virginia (52.0 per 100,000), Ohio (39.1 per 100,000), New Hampshire (39.0 per 100,000), Pennsylvania (37.9 per 100,000) and (Kentucky (33.5 per 100,000).

Of those 5

West Virginia - Medical usage legalised in 2017
Ohio - Medical usage legalised in 2016
Pennsylvania - Medical usage legalised in 2016
Kentucky - Still illegal

So in the bottom image in the prior post, you can consider (at least) those states to be grey for the purpose of comparison against the top image.

10 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yet the CDC says opiate deaths are up 500%.

In the states in question, or the States in general? Or if they are up by 500% in the states in question then Professor Colleen Barry is telling porkies?

The same  "Colleen Barry, who is a professor at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and co-director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Mental Health and Addiction Policy Research" .

In the states in question, or the States in general? Or if they are up by 500% in the states in question then Professor Colleen Barry is telling porkies?

The same  "Colleen Barry, who is a professor at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and co-director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Mental Health and Addiction Policy Research" .

I understand it is 500% in the US, no doubt up 1,000% in states where grass is illegal, and actually down in states where it’s not legal.

You know the articles you linked were pretty old, and were mostly referring to medical, nor recreational marijuana, and the affect on prescription opiates, not street dope.

In any event, I am willing to concede that once people get on disability and are getting loaded on weed every day they’re not likely to have the energy to scrape together enough dough to support a heavier habit.

No, I'm

1 - Disputing your insinuation that the increase in opiate deaths is due to liberalisation of marijuana laws

2 - Highlighting that the predominant contributor to that increase is prescription opiates

3 - Providing links to studies that indicate states with liberal marijuana laws may have suffered less impact from the opiate epidemic relative to those that have less liberal ones.

In terms of 3, it's interesting to compare these two maps:

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/statedeaths.html
https://thecannabisindustry.org/state-marijuana-policies-map/

Very few states that have legalised *recreational* marijuana had a statistically significant increase in opiate related deaths. Of those with legalised *medical* usage that did, a number of them implemented that legalisation after the period those death stats refer to.
Group.png.7dd8cbf6befec18e877237b35a9eec83.png

Looking at the charts and reading the link to the cdc would indicate that some of the states with the highest increase in opiate deaths have liberal weed laws.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Looking at the charts and reading the link to the cdc would indicate that some of the states with the highest increase in opiate deaths have liberal weed laws.

Not if you consider that the liberalisation in four out of the five states with the greatest increase occurred after the cdc stats, as per my subsequent message:

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I understand it is 500% in the US, no doubt up 1,000% in states where grass is illegal, and actually down in states where it’s not legal.

The CDC map does show that in many of the states where it's liberalised, the rate did decrease. Washington, California, Oregon (all legal for recreational use) Montana, New Mexico and Mississippi (legal for medical).

You know the articles you linked were pretty old, and were mostly referring to medical, nor recreational marijuana, and the affect on prescription opiates, not street dope.

Which is a big consideration - the CDC states that the prescription opiates are a driving force for the epidemic. 

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/epidemic/index.html

Among new heroin users, approximately three out of four report abusing prescription opioids prior to using heroin.9 The increased availability, lower price, and increased purity of heroin in the US have been identified as possible contributors to rising rates of heroin use.10

Between 2010 and 2016, the rate of heroin-related overdose deaths increased by a factor of 5 – more than 15,469 people died in 2016. The largest increase in overdose deaths from 2015 to 2016 was for those involving synthetic opioids (other than methadone), which rose from 9,580 deaths in 2015 to 19,413 in 2016.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd