Koh Phangan crackdown continues: Ukrainian woman arrested for running illegal hostel

webfact

Koh Phangan crackdown continues: Ukrainian woman arrested for running illegal hostel

kpgn.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

A Ukrainian woman has been arrested for illegally running a hostel on Koh Phangan.

Police said that Ms Olinna (name transliterated), was operating the Vagabond Hostel from a house.

Inside the property police found 150 beds in 12 rooms, along with accounting books which revealed that each of the beds were rented out for 250 baht per day, TNA reported.

The 46 year old Ukranian woman was charged with operating a hotel without the valid permits and also for violating the Building Control Act.

The arrest of Ms Olinna comes after police and local officials launched a crackdown on foreign owned hostels on Koh Phangan, which are believed to be operating illegally.

On Tuesday, police arrested a Lebanese man who was the manager of another Koh Phangan hostel.

Salem Hossam was charged with drug offences and faces deportation. He was the manager of the Wanderlust Hostel, which police said also operates illegally.

The Wanderlust hostel was one of six hostels on the island that police ordered to be closed back in January.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-15

Somethings don`t make sense. 150 beds in 12 rooms. That means 12 beds in each room. Guests must have been crammed in like sardines. Seems details have been misconstrued in translation. 

If she was renting out 150 beds per night, that`s 37500 baht per day, a very lucrative business. My guess is that this woman must have been involved with more than one hostel.

12 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Somethings don`t make sense. 150 beds in 12 rooms. That means 12 beds in each room. Guests must have been crammed in like sardines. Seems details have been misconstrued in translation. 

If she was renting out 150 beds per night, that`s 37500 baht per day, a very lucrative business. My guess is that this woman must have been involved with more than one hostel.

That's just 6 bunk beds in a dorm room. 

Attractive price for a backpacker, and they don't mind sleeping in dormitories.

Very good business though:) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Good that they clean up the mess. To everybody on this forum that focus on that the crackdowns are only on foreigners running business is as usual a bunch of BS.
This time they might focus on that. Other times they have focused on Koh Samed and Thai owned business and all the Thai mafia that was there.
Look at the hotels and resorts that was Thai owned on the mountain top close to Petchabun, as antoher example.

That the crackdown regards foreigners on Koh Phangan, is quite natural to me out of 2 reasons:

• Too many of the hostels and guesthouses on that island in runned, owned or magaged by foreigners
  • As a foreigner doing business in Thailand it is, and should be, more important to follow the rules.

Soi Cozy Beach next...PLEASE!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, manhood said:

I want to see the crackdowns on thai owned and illigal operation guest houses and the our boats and all the mafia structures and families running this island!!!!!!!!!!

But yes the easiest way is to point the finder on some foreigners, sure not legal working but the most harmless ones in between the mass of corrupt sharks!

They have closed down thai businesses also plus these people had already been served notices since January and disregarded them so it’s their own fault

• Like 1

3 hours ago, manhood said:

I want to see the crackdowns on thai owned and illigal operation guest houses and the our boats and all the mafia structures and families running this island!!!!!!!!!!

But yes the easiest way is to point the finder on some foreigners, sure not legal working but the most harmless ones in between the mass of corrupt sharks!

It is not important what you want and yes, the time for all the foreign outlaws will ending soon :-)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

if those figures are correct, it was probably a jealous local that informed the BIB, wanting some of that action

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Think this is the end of hostels on Koh Phangan problem is all the cheap wooden bungalows you used to see on the beaches have all gone to make way for more expensive accommodation years ago 250 baht would of got you a room on the beach but those days have long gone .

Yepp, those days are long gone!

I remember back in 1987 I could get a private hut on Koh Samui for 30 baht/night or a nice bungalow in Chiang Mai for 40 baht/night! ; )

Plahgat

5a86937105b07_beachhut.jpg.04bc0b5f6e04e72e237d79a6dc0cfd34.jpg

Edited by plahgat

5 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

it is unlikely that she would have been able to fill every single bed consistently.  I would say she would be lucky if she got a quarter of the beds filled.  I sure as hell wouldn't want to stay at a place like that.. it's probably infested with bed bugs.. I can only imagine what type of person would stay at a place like that...(No money and poor hygiene is probably the normal type of customers she attracts)